Is my Dynamic Interlinear broke?

davidmedina

Hi:

I just upgraded to the Essential Collection to add Original Language Content and be able to follow Mounce's Online Greek Course (He uses Accordance in the course). Looking at Dr. J podcast on the Dynamic Interlinear and enhanced Key Numbers I tried to see some of it on my Accordance but I seems to have something either off or missing because I don't see the same information.

For example, when I select the NAS95S or the ESVS and turn on the Dynamic Interlinear I don't see any information displaying for any this: Word, Word (transslit.), Part of Speech, tag, nor Gloss. They are all on and all I see are "--".

The Syntax option is completely turned off.

It works fine (except for Syntax and Word) on the Greek Text and on the Hebrew (except fo Syntax).

I looked in the Help files and there is nothing that tells me what I am dong wrong.

What am I doing wrong or missing?

I imagine one of the Interlinear Base texts is set wrong. Go to Preferences -> Compare Texts and make sure each item of the Interlinear Source Texts is correct (i.e. your preferred Hebrew Bible, Greek New Testament, and Keyed bible for the OT, NT, and Keyed source texts, respectively).

Which ones should they be to get all or most of the information?

I haven't touch that but right now it has the BHS-4WD for Old testament and GNT-TD for New Testament.

I changed it to HMT-W4 for OT and GNT28-T for NT and it is working all now, except for the Syntax which is grayed out.

That would explain why the interlinear was giving you hyphens! The BHS-W4D and GNT-TD only include the first 3 chapters of Genesis and Matthew, so nowhere else would you have interlinear information. HMT-W4 and GNT28-T are perfectly fine choices.

To see the Syntax, you need to have the Hebrew and/or Greek syntax installed, and be viewing a passage that has the syntax done for it.

How critical is to have the syntax show up?

If I but those two modules, how else they will help me? (other than just show Syntax in the Intelinear?)

I'll let someone more qualified jump in on the usefulness of the Syntax. What I will say is that it is certainly not 'critical' to have the Syntax there - it is simply another bit of information. The Syntax tags the different elements of the text in their full syntactical (rather than grammatical) structure, so you know subjects, predicates, clauses, specifiers, etc. The full use of the syntax is really not for the interlinear, thats just an extra bonus. The syntax lets you display the syntax tree, that scrolls along with your text, giving you the functional breakdown. To use an example in English, if I have a phrase "The man kicked the ball", the grammatical information just tells me that 'man' is a noun, 'kicked' is a past tense verb, 'ball' is another noun. The syntactical information is what tells me that it is the man doing the action, the specific action is to kick, and ball is what was kicked.

Aside from the syntax tree, you are of course able to search for the information in the text, so you could find all places where 'man' 'kicks', which is impossible with just grammatical information. As far as actual Greek or Hebrew examples, thats where my knowledge runs out, and someone else is going to have to jump in!

Addendum: Its very important at Accordance that we don't make you buy things that aren't useful. For instance, many people simply aren't interested in doing syntactical studies just yet, or they disagree with the specific syntactical scheme that was used (or disagree with *any* syntactical scheme, as it is more subjective than just grammar). Or, we have users who only study Greek or only study Hebrew. So, this is why they don't come in many packages, and are listed separately. You really should only pick up the items that will be of practical use to you. If thats the syntax, then go for it! But if its not, you certainly don't need to fret about a dimmed out 'Syntax' option in the interlinear.

• Like 1

Cool. Thanks.