Runge / Lexham Discourse modules

Anthony Sepulveda

Anyone interested in having in Accordance the Lexham Discourse bibles, as well as Steven Runge's "Discourse Grammar of the Greek New Testament"?

• Like 2

What I've read of Runge's Discourse Grammar (75 or so pages) is good stuff. Accordance would have an easier time, I'd think, licensing that (Hendrickson) than Lexham stuff (Logos?).

I downloaded the free Logos engine to get some titles. The L program is slow, and I will only use it for stuff that I could never get in Accordance. If you want to try the engine out, it's under downloads on the Logos page. Plus they have some free titles. I have the print edition of the Discourse Grammar. Keep in mind that many, use Logos as a Library, and Accordance as their language system.

The Lexham Discourse stuff on Logos is fantastic (even though the software is less than ideal). Runge's Discource Grammar would be a great addition if If Accordance could get ahold of some of it.

• 5 years later...

Yes! Please develop at least Runge's Discourse Grammar in Accordance (and the forthcoming Old Testament counterpart)!!! I also am having to go over to Logos library to get this resource digitally, and I HATE doing that. I would much rather have it in Accordance with most of my other resources.

We can look into Runge, but I very much doubt that we can license Logos' proprietary materials.

Discourse grammar is really fuzzy stuff. I'd strongly prefer to see the Accordance folks continue in the path that made them stand apart in the first place, by adding language/text modules and avoiding fuzzy stuff.

• Like 7

Runge’s work is fantastic, and I would love to see it in Accordance. His work is rigorous and thoroughly vetted at the highest level of linguistic studies and biblical studies. He’s also a kind, gracious guy.

Yes, he's nice, but tha has nothing to do with the discussion.

And no, it's not been vetted at the highest level of linguistic studies. But even that is besides the point. Accordance is not Logos -- it does not have a pattern as a glorified e-reader. It's critically important niche is to provide core resources for original language study. There are oodles of secondary sources that this person or that person may like, but don't meet the core criterion.

I would really be disappointed to see energy put in this direction. Instead, let's continue to fill out the language resources in Ethiopic, Aramaic, Armenian, Nabatean, Ugaritic, and so on. More language, more ancient stuff, more core visual study (love the Photoguide, Sacred Bridge, etc.)!

Edited by Robert Holmstedt
  • Like 7

I want to see energy put towards primary texts, tagging, lexica, and key grammars, too. I just happen to think that his discourse grammar is very helpful. “Highest” leaves a lot of room for disagreement, granted. Runge’s work is rigorous and it does come from thorough linguistic research and dialogue with linguists. It’s grounded in linguistic studies, but it is a work that aims to draw the pastor and educated Bible reader into that world and help them read scripture more accurately. I disagree with the description “really fuzzy stuff.” I won’t comment further. Obviously, you are a professional in this area. This is my opinion.

We have a wide variety of resources available in Accordance and will continue to expand our library across numerous approaches and relationships to the Scriptures.

But as Helen has already mentioned, the main obstacle to having content from Steven Runge in Accordance has to do with the fact that it is all published by Lexham Press, which is a subsidiary of Faithlife/Logos. It’s too bad Runge did not publish with a more “neutral” company.

Nice, Rick. Are you moving into the diplomatic corps? ;-)

Farmers and professors -- we share a love of being cantankerous.

Edited by Robert Holmstedt
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1