Question about highlighters.

davidmedina

I was wondering that after you highlight a Bible if there is a way to turn on and off the highlighters on the Bible so I can see them when I need and not see them when I just want to read. If cannot be done then I am suggesting to be added as a feature.

Hi David,

Under the Set Text Pane Display available from the little gear wheel icon there is an option to hide word highlighting. That will turn it off. I don't know of anything more fine-grained like turning it on or off for a specific highlight file.

Forgot to mention its on the Advanced tab of Set Text Pane Display.

Thx

D

Edited by Daniel Semler
  • Like 1

Thanks.

Hi David,

Under the Set Text Pane Display available from the little gear wheel icon there is an option to hide word highlighting. That will turn it off. I don't know of anything more fine-grained like turning it on or off for a specific highlight file.

Forgot to mention its on the Advanced tab of Set Text Pane Display.

Thx

D

If you change the 'active' highlight file it will also hide the previous one.

Thx Rick - I noticed that. I have now been pondering how one would use multiple files. I actually don't know exactly what is stored in the highlight file but my guess is that its all the defined styles, plus all the locations highlighted in all texts and tools that were highlighted when that file was the selected highlight file. In some people's installations this would make the highlight file large and pretty important containing quite a lot of their work.

Thx
D

Thanks Rick. I guess I should create a set of highlighter that won't be use for highlighting but just to use it to clear all highlighters. Does that sound like a good idea?

Thanks Rick. I guess I should create a set of highlighter that won't be use for highlighting but just to use it to clear all highlighters. Does that sound like a good idea?

It seems like that would be the fastest way to hide all highlights. Others may have a better method/idea.

David — I have a set called 'No Highlights' that is used that way. I also have a set called 'Highlights' that I use most often. I use it mostly to mark up tools. About the only time I use them in a text is to underline in fine black a word or words that I have commented on in my Notes. I have also done a search for brackets in the NAS95 and used a double black line through the middle to alert me to the words that are in the NAS95 (and other versions) that aren't in the GNT. I have a set called 'Teaching' when I want to bring out some sort of pattern or structure to students — I don't want those cluttering up my texts and tools when I'm not teaching.

There are also some highlights files on the Accordance Exchange that you might find useful. They are just the styles and not attached to any text or tool.

Here are some examples of my highlights:

post-330-0-28222600-1383058699_thumb.png post-330-0-71102000-1383058723_thumb.png post-330-0-41096700-1383058750_thumb.png

What I have tried to do is create marks that are visible and distinguishable from each other, but do not make the text harder to read. In my list of Highlight Styles, I have put a space a the beginning of Highlights and No Highlights to put them at the top because they are the ones I use most often.

My tools have different colors of text and backgrounds. The red may not show up well with a rose background and burgundy text. I'll use blue highlighting in that tool. Anyway, whatever you decide, you can change it later if you want. You can add another set whenever you want. This customizability is just another great thing about Accordance. Do what suits you — none of it affects eternal your eternal destination!

Edited by Julie Falling
  • Like 1

I have been wondering if optional scoping of highlight files might be a helpful enhancement. Specifically, it might be useful to be able to say that a highlight file's highlights should only be applied to modules in workspace "foo". Then opening the same module in another workspace for another purpose would not show those highlights. Right now the highlights file that is in use is in use everywhere, which seems a little broad for some uses to me.

Thx

D

• Like 1

Thanks Julie.