Accordance for Android & Windows Phone

Caspar

Accordance for Android & Windows Phone  

35 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hi,

I would like to see Android on the Android and Windows Phone platform. Not everyone uses iOS devices.

Thanks,

Caspar

I voted no simply because I don't use android or windows mobile devices and don't have any need for Accordance on those platforms.

• Like 1

Hi ya,

One thing I have been wondering about is Wine on Intel Android. This is technically possible but a very rare creature. As we know that Acc for Win runs on Wine that would seem to be a route, though it wouldn't be optimized for small tablets and phones. And we'll have to wait to see if the platform develops And larger tabs can just run win or ios. Lots to think about.

Thx

D

Another topic told us that it was running ok under wine in linux with the exception hebrew was not displaying properly.... but as I am fairly sure most prople would be looking for their phone or tablet no a destop that had been set up with android.

-Dan

I wasn't referring to a desktop with Android but to a tablet capable of running Intel 32bit code. Its basically a hardware issue at this point.

The phone thing is a problem because the UI won't scale down and be usable. So a special app is required just like iOS. Or a website as you suggest. Either way its dev.

Thx

D

Edited by Daniel Semler

To be sure, without Accordance on Android, there probably aren't a lot of dedicated Android users here at the forum to vote.

• Like 1

I could be very wrong but as I understand it WINE requires a compatible processor.

-Dan

sfarson's point is well-made.

It's a hard balance, I'm sure--it is the classic business question (to borrow a Harvard Business Review phrase) of: "Do you stick to the core? Or go for more?"

What is the trade-off between diverting staff attention to new projects (or hiring new staff for new platforms) vs. what kind of revenue that might bring in? It's a hard one.

The future does seem, however, to be cross-platform--where everyone can access their anything on everything. With apologies to the Accordance staff for saying so, Logos and Olive Tree are both ubiquitous in terms of how you can access them. Of course, Accordance on a Mac or Windows can do things Logos on a Mac or Windows cannot, but from a user standpoint, being fully cross-platform and accessible on all devices seems to be a value.

On the flipside, and I don't mean to criticize them, either, BibleWorks's lack of an iOS app and lack of a truly native Mac version of their program will only, I think, hurt them in the future. (And maybe even already has.)

So my "no" vote is just a selfish one. I wish all wisdom to the Accordance powers-that-be in navigating the future on questions like these!

@Dan, Its not so much Wine but that one wants to run Win apps which require a particular processor - specifically Intel 32/64 bit Xeon etc. (That's why Acc for Win doesn't run on RT). So yep its a hardware issue and so far I've only read of people playing with this. Who knows if it will turn into anything.

@Abram, agreed multi-platform is the user's friend and the developer's bane. Languages like Java would seem to solve problems here but Apple it not mad keen on the stuff. And in any case app software at its 20th birthday isn't going to speak a new language on a dime. But the mobile apps on the tiny screen add more problems too. Its hard. This is why Wine isn't much of a solution without an app tailored to the small env I suspect, even if the processor issue were solved.

So, do I want Accdroid ? sure. Do I think its a walk in the park ? If it is its a rather muddy park :)

Long term software and data evolution interests me though.

Thx

D

• Like 1

...And in any case app software at its 20th birthday isn't going to speak a new language on a dime. ...

Long term software and data evolution interests me though.

Great point. Although I have to say I'm impressed with how Accordance is doing on that front (cf. its Windows version).

That interests me, too.