More info about hymns in "A Collection of Hymns" module?

Abram K-J

I haven't been able to find much more info about the hymns in "A Collection of Hymns" ("Hymn Lyrics" and "Hymns" are the two short names given in the library), neither in the Read Me files, nor in the module itself. "About This Text..." notes "Public Domain" and that Lisa Lang compiled it (1997).

Each hymn has its author and tune name, but what I'm wondering about is the source for the lyrics. Hymns, of course (notoriously), end up with several versions of lyrics. The lyrics for "Silent Night," for example, are not the expected ones (or probably what one would find in most modern hymnals).

I know that's a subjective take on it, but I'm just curious if there's anywhere that I could find out more about where these particular lyrics came from--hopefully I'm just overlooking something already there.

We've had this module a very long time, I doubt we had a single source, or can find multiple sources, sorry!

Thank you, Helen--it occurs to me I could probably pretty easily create my own user module with whatever different lyric text I wanted to use.