How to search for all forms of 'God is'

Matt Fredenburg

Hi,

I'm trying to figure out how I would find all verses that contain the phrase 'God is X' where X could be any noun. e.g. 'God is Love' as in 1 John 4:8. I figured the way I would approach this for the NT is that I would find all the words in BDAG with a gloss of 'God', and then somehow, attempt to figure out the syntax to do a Greek search within the GNT28, and a Hebrew search within BHS-W4? I have no idea which Hebrew text I should use, as I know even less about Hebrew than I do about Greek, if that's possible. What I came up for the Greek was as follows:

+θεός <WITHIN 2-2 WORDS> +εἰμί

I have a very strong feeling that this can be greatly improved and would appreciate guidance from those knowledgeable in these kinds of searches. For instance, how would I specify that the word between the two be a noun rather than just any word?

Would someone be so kind as to tell me what I should type into the BHS-W4 (or more appropriate Hebrew text) in order to accomplish the same thing?

Thanks,

Matt

Matt this is very wild ! I was looking at a similar example in connection with the Greek syntax module given what Frank McFee and I had been discussing in another thread. I have not done an exhaustive experiment here but my example was based on "Jesus is ....". How funny is that ? Anyhow here is my basic syntax piece so far.

Thx

D

post-32023-0-52351700-1385947571_thumb.jpg

Matt this is very wild ! I was looking at a similar example in connection with the Greek syntax module given what Frank McFee and I had been discussing in another thread. I have not done an exhaustive experiment here but my example was based on "Jesus is ....". How funny is that ? Anyhow here is my basic syntax piece so far.

Thx

D

Thanks much Daniel. Your screenshot got me started in Greek Constructs, which has been both a boon and a bane. :blink: It seems like such a simply thing, but, at least for me, it seems so difficult. I thought for sure that the Greek and Hebrew experts on these forums would be all over this!

Matt

My biggest problem with the searches in Acc is my SQL database background and my expectation of certain behaviour from what appear to me to be similar constructions. They don't work that way. But wrt constructs and syntax, I think its necessary to really play with it a bunch to work out what's what. The syntax module is pretty opaque to me at present. The reason I tried "Jesus is ..." was that I was reading an English grammar - I've bought four since starting to study Greek. I wanted to try a really simple Subject - Predicate example like "Tom is a boy" in Greek and see if I could begin to understand the syntax module. I figured if I could do that I could work up to more complex stuff with more confidence in the module and less just hack it and see stuff. Oh well slowly slowly.

Thx

D

Thanx Helen. I hadn't realised this existed. Is there any plan to integrate this into the regular doc ?

thx

D

Oh ok - its been a while since I looked there I must confess. Thx.

There is also Robert Holmstedt's paper on the same website which I have read once but should probably read again.

Thx

D