What are the difference between the BDB-Abridge and the BDB complete?
What are the difference between the BDB-A and the BDB complete
Posted 20 December 2013 - 04:14 AM
The Abridged was prepared at Princeton, carefully etexted, and then arranged by us under each root. It does not include the scripture quotations, nor the origins (etymology) of the words. Later we acquired the scanned etext of the Complete BDB which has the entire entries, but is still undergoing proofing and correction.
Posted 20 December 2013 - 01:18 PM
It seems like the Abridge version has more english information than the regular one (from the image on the store).
Blog: The Renewed Mind.
Posted 20 December 2013 - 02:19 PM
David, here is a comparison for the articles on ברא:
I. בָּרָא vb. shape, create —
Qal shape, fashion, create, always of divine activity, with acc. rei.
1. obj. heaven and earth; mankind; the host of heaven; heavens; ends of the earth; north and south; wind.
2. the individual man; the smith and the waster; Israel as a nation; the seed of Israel.
3. new conditions and circumstances: righteousness and salvation; darkess and evil; fruit of the lips; a new thing חֲדָשָׁה (a woman encompassing a man); cloud and flame over Zion.
4. of tranformations: a clean heart; new heaven and earth (in place of old); transformation of nature; with double acc. בורא ירושׁלם גילה transform Jerusalem into rejoicing.
Niph. Pass. 1. be created: heaven and earth; creatures; mankind; heavens.
2. with reference to birth: במקום אשׁר נבראת in the place where thou wast created (i.e. native land).
3. of something new, astonishing: miracles; new things, חדשׁות.
Pi. 1. cut down: a forest.
2. cut out: יָד hand, as an index.
1254 † I. בָּרָא53 vb. shape, create (cf. Ar. بَرَى, form, fashion by cutting, shape out, pare a reed for writing, a stick for an arrow, but also بَرَأَ, create; Ph. הברא CIS:i. 347 incisor, a trade involving cutting; As. barû, make, create, COT:Gloss & Hpt KAT:2 Gloss 1 but dub.; Sab. ברא found, build, DHM:ZMG 1883, 413, synon. בנה; Ba:ZA. 1888, 58, comp. As. banû, create, beget, with change of liquid; Aram. בְּרָא, ܒܪܳܐ, create)—
Qal Pf. Gn 1:1 + 19 t.; Impf. יִבְרָא Gn 1:21, 1:27, Nu 16:30; Inf. בְּראֹ Gn 5:1; Imv. בְּרָא Psalm 51:12; Pt. בּוֹרֵא Is 42:5 + 10 t.; sf. בֹּרַאֲךָ Is 43:1; בּוֹרְאֶיךָ Ec 12:1; —shape, fashion, create, always of divine activity, with acc. rei, seldom except in P and Is:2.
1. obj. heaven and earth Gn 1:1, 2:3 (P) Is 45:18, 45:18; mankind Gn 1:27, 1:27, 1:27, 5:1, 5:2 (P) 6:7 (J) Dt 4:32, Psalm 89:48, Is 45:12; the host of heaven Is 40:26; heavens Is 42:5; ends of the earth Is 40:28; north and south Psalm 89:13; wind Am 4:13; the תנינים Gn 1:21 (P).
2. the individual man Mal 2:10 (|| father) Ec 12:1; the smith and the waster Is 54:16, 54:16; Israel as a nation Is 43:15; Jacob Is 43:1; the seed of Israel Is 43:7.
3. new conditions and circumstances: righteousness and salvation Is 45:8; darkness and evil Is 45:7; fruit of the lips Is 57:19; a new thing חֲדָשָׁה (a woman encompassing a man) Je 31:22; בְּרִיאָה (swallowing up the Korahites) Nu 16:30 (J); cloud and flame over Zion Is 4:5.
4. of transformations: a clean heart Psalm 51:12 (||חִדֵּשׁ); new heaven and earth Is 65:17 (in place of old); transformation of nature Is 41:20; with double acc. בורא ירושׁלם גילה transform Jerusalem into rejoicing Is 65:18.
Niph. Pf. 2 fs. נִבְרֵאתְ Ez 21:30; 3 pl. נִבְרְאוּ Ex 34:10 + 2 t.; Impf. יִבָּרֵא֑וּן Psalm 104:30; Inf. sf. הִבָּרַאֲךָ Ez 28:13; הִבָּֽרְאָךְ Ez 28:15; הִבָּֽרְאָם Gn 2:4, 5:2; Pt. נִבְרָא Psalm 102:19; —Pass.
1. be created: heaven and earth Gn 2:4 (P); creatures Psalm 104:30; mankind Gn 5:2 (P); heavens Psalm 148:5.
2. with reference to birth: במקום אשׁר נבראת in the place where thou wast created (i.e. native land) Ez 21:35; יום הבראך day when thou wast created (king of Tyre) Ez 28:13, 28:15 (cf. היום ילדתיך Psalm 2:7); עַם נִבְרָא Psalm 102:19 (||עַם נוֹלָד Psalm 22:32).
3. of something new, astonishing: miracles Ex 34:10 (J); new things, חדשׁות Is 48:6.
Pi. Pf. בֵּרֵאתָ Jos 17:15; בֵּרֵאתוֹ Jos 17:18; Inf. abs. בָּרֵא Ez 21:24, 21:24, 23:47; —
1. cut down: a forest Jos 17:15, 17:18 (J); וּבָרֵא אוֹתְהֶן בְּחַרְבוֹתָם Ez 23:47.
2. cut out: יָד hand, as an index Ez 21:24, 21:24.
By day: Consultant for Oaktree
By night: Freelance Trombonist and Private Instructor
Posted 20 December 2013 - 02:26 PM
I understand now. What the abridge does is just extract the English and exclude the references, but the information, other than the references, is the same.
So having both gives you more options and flexibility. Use the Abridge when you just want to look at the english definition and the complete when you want the references also. Cool.
Looking at some of the resources I want it almost seems wiser to have gone for the Advance instead of the Essential Collection.
Blog: The Renewed Mind.
0 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users