Problem with Tab Ties in References Modules

Lorinda H. M. Hoover

Today I was working with John 1:35-51 in a search tab and Wesley's notes in a second zone, using Tab Ties in the Wesley's Notes tab to make it scroll along with John 1.

But when I scrolled up to the top of my search tab (i.e. to John 1:35), Wesley's notes bounced up to John 1:1. At first I though the entire John 1 section of Wesley's notes had been tagged only to the chapter, not to verse. But as I continued to experiment with different setups (parallel panes, a wider selection of John, etc.) I discovered the real source of the problem: several of the verses in my chosen pericope, including John 1:35, have no entry in Wesley's notes. When there isn't an entry in Wesley for a given verse, the tab tie forces it to the top of the chapter, rather than to the nearest verse for which there is a note.

I have a sneaking suspicion that this is one of those feature/algorithm decisions for which there is no perfect answer. For Wesley's notes, given its nature, showing the nearest note is clearly (to my mind) the better choice. But I'm sure there are resources (and persons) for which (whom) it's best to default to the chapter.

Nevertheless, I thought I'd raise the issue, in hopes that there is a better solution out there than what is in use now. For my purposes of my study today, the current rule for this situation is not at all helpful.

Lorinda

PS One thought in this regard: could a preference for a "start of chapter" or "nearest verse" algorithm be included in the text display window for each tool that can be used this way? Then we could set each tool separately, depending on the tool's nature and our study needs.

• Like 1

I've noticed this behavior in other tied tools, too, and find it distracting to go back to "chapter x" (which is usually introductory material) rather than to the nearest verse. Great idea for having at least a preference setting. I'd like that, too.

I did discover a work-around for this. Originally, I had not entered anything in the search box of tab containing Wesley's notes. But if enter my chosen pericope in the search box there, and set it to show only hit Articles, then it does not bounce back to the beginning of the chapter, only to the top of my chosen pericope.

This works for my purposes here, because the pericope I'm looking at is relatively short. It wouldn't work as well with longer pericopes.

Lorinda