Dictionaries comparison

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#41 Timothy Jenney

Timothy Jenney

Mithril

• Accordance
  • 3,285 posts
  • Interests:a great cup of coffee, sci-fi, jazz and the blues, kayaking, camping, fishing and the great outdoors
  • Accordance Version:12.x
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, iOS

Posted 02 October 2018 - 09:46 AM

I'd try the New Dictionary of Theology by IVP (or even their pocket theological dictionary). I suspect you have one or both in your library.

Blessings,
"Dr. J"

Timothy P. Jenney, Ph. D.
"Lighting the Lamp" Host and Producer
Academic Licensing Assistant

iMac: Late 2014 27" 5k display, 4.0 GHz quad core i7, 24 GB RAM, 500 GB SSD, AMD Radeon R9 M295X 4096 MB, macOS Sierra 10.13
MBP: Early 2011 17" MBP (8,3), 2.3 GHz quad core i7, 16 GB RAM, 480 SSD + 1 TB SSD, AMD Radeon HD 6750M, macOS Sierra 10.13
iPhone 7 plus: 128 GB, iOS 11.x

#42 Ethan

Ethan

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Accordance Version:13.x

Posted 21 April 2020 - 10:05 AM

Pardon me for resurrecting this topic...

For a layperson like me whose into casual reading of the Bible, I'm undecided over the Holman Illustrated Bible Dictionary vs the IVP New Bible Dictionary. Which of these one-volume dictionaries are more in-depth...? This question never actually came to me because I was looking at the IVPBBC on sale and was wondering if I should invest more to get the IVP Foundations that also includes the New Bible Dictionary, though I was thinking of future investment on the Holman instead.

For a start, I've already gotten the Starter Collection that includes Eerdmans and the current availability of single volume ISBE for free (but too much to digest for my liking..?). Somehow there's a thirst for more but not too overwhelming on the ISBE.

Appreciate any input. Thanks.

Ethan

#43 Ken Simpson

Ken Simpson

Mithril

• Accordance
  • 2,522 posts
  • Interests:My grandchildren Micah, Nate and Evelyn!
    Astronomy
    Archaeology
    Physics
    Hebrew and Greek
    Papyrology
    Orthopædic Surgery
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, Windows, iOS, Android

Posted 21 April 2020 - 05:09 PM

Pardon me for resurrecting this topic...

For a layperson like me whose into casual reading of the Bible, I'm undecided over the Holman Illustrated Bible Dictionary vs the IVP New Bible Dictionary. Which of these one-volume dictionaries are more in-depth...? This question never actually came to me because I was looking at the IVPBBC on sale and was wondering if I should invest more to get the IVP Foundations that also includes the New Bible Dictionary, though I was thinking of future investment on the Holman instead.

For a start, I've already gotten the Starter Collection that includes Eerdmans and the current availability of single volume ISBE for free (but too much to digest for my liking..?). Somehow there's a thirst for more but not too overwhelming on the ISBE.

Appreciate any input. Thanks.

Ethan

hi Ethan, as someone who has access to it all thanks to my employment, I constantly use the NBD, and have done all my ministry life. It is a superb work, with solid scholarship and is not too complex.  It simply works. I recommend all my congregations buy an NBD. Essential tool. The Holman I have less experience of, but it would be solid and has illustrations. I use images often in preaching, but cannot recall ever using one from HIBD.  That doesn’t mean they aren’t good, just that I have a large collection of ones I think are better.  

So in summary, I don’t think you would ever regret buying the NBD. It is, and remains, my most used non-commentary/lexicon work. 

Edited by Ken Simpson, 21 April 2020 - 05:10 PM.

Regards
Ken
Lead Australian Accordance Demonstrator
Administrator, Accordance Exchange
Assistant Minister, Summer Hill Church

#44 JonathanHuber

JonathanHuber

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,068 posts
  • Interests:Bible study, Greek, Hebrew (trying again...)

Posted 21 April 2020 - 05:49 PM

Btw, I highly recommend the IVP background commentaries and they're a steal at their current sale price. 

• Ken Simpson likes this

2012 non-retina Macbook Pro
OS 10.15.3 Catalina

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users