Accordance under WINE on Xubuntu!

T. Conrad

Hi Elijah,

without doing any of the real background work as to why the background tasks in linux (and a number of other OS's) are called daemons it is probably significant to note that in classical Greek daimon did not necessarily mean evil spirit. It really connoted the level of spiritual being between humans and gods, so in unix talk between the GUI and the kernel (I suspect).

From LSJ

δαιμόνιον

transcendent incorporeal being w. status between humans and deities, daemon (as distinguished from demon, which in Eng. gener. connotes inimical aspect), semi-divine being, a divinity, spirit, (higher) power

So no, I have not generally had an issue with it at all... ;-)

• Like 1

SUCCESS!!!

Okay, try this. Download Accordance 10.3.4.1 from the following link and install that.

http://www.accordancefiles1.com/products/Accordance10.3.4.1.exe

Let me know how it works. That's what I used to install just a moment ago (I didn't even clean the dir out) and Accordance has started now. The module message is gone.

Let me know your results.

Tim

I already used this version previously, but I to make sure I tried it again - without success (same error message on first start).

It work should with the newest version 10.3.4.2, otherwise you would be stuck with that version forever...

Yeah, I spoke too soon.

Right after that posted, I had a crash and then back to square one.

I backed up the old winedir. I'm going to try to extract what seemed to work out of that config and dial in to what exactly causes it to work and post the wine config. But I might not be able to do that for a little bit.

I'm also looking into the viability of running ReactOS in a vm if it's snappy enough for me... But that's a whole other can of worms...

without doing any of the real background work as to why the background tasks in linux (and a number of other OS's) are called daemons it is probably significant to note that in classical Greek daimon did not necessarily mean evil spirit. It really connoted the level of spiritual being between humans and gods, so in unix talk between the GUI and the kernel (I suspect).

From LSJ

δαιμόνιον

transcendent incorporeal being w. status between humans and deities, daemon (as distinguished from demon, which in Eng. gener. connotes inimical aspect), semi-divine being, a divinity, spirit, (higher) power

So no, I have not generally had an issue with it at all... ;-)

Due to its UNIX underpinnings, like Linux, OS X also uses daemons.

Screen_Shot_2014-01-28_at_2_00_26_PM.jpg

Trivia: A few years ago I remember reading that many of the non-human characters in the Matrix movies--such as the Keymaker, Agent Smith, the Merovingian, Persophone, etc.--were daemons of the Matrix.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I think I have a success...

I took the hint with wine 1.7 from David (here), got my Xubuntu 12.04 some new wine like so and Accordance works. Now I have an issue that is keyboard related, but I guess this is due to running wine from the command line and not telling it I have a German keyboard here...

• Like 1