Hyperlink in Notes

Anon

I use Devonthink Pro Office as my research database. A benefit of Devonthink is the Hyperlink features inherent within its file index. I can pull down from JSTOR a handful of articles on say 1QIsaa. Once I begin to interact with these articles, it's easy enough to link to a User Note from Devonthink. What I am curious is whether Accordance would be willing to permit links to Devonthink files. Devonthink has a very handy feature of creating a relative component to their links. That is, should you move a file, Devonthink rebuilds the link in its index, thereby maintaining links. But this means the incoming link is not file:///. Rather it looks like this: x-devonthink-item://B182E1F6-01B4-4430-BC46-DB810C9AAEE0

Could Accordance please look into making these links open the appropriate Devonthink file?

As long as that URL can be passed to the underlying operating system and "do the right thing" then Accordance only needs to add support for external URLs.

If you use that URL in Safari does it work the way you want it to?

If i paste the above URL into Safari, and key return, yes Devonthink is made the frontmost application and navigates directly to the linked file. I suppose, however, due to the token assigned to the file by Devonthink, it would be nice to make it associated with a text (much like cmd-K does in Apple mail with a selected text). Thus I could say: -> Textual Study of the Bible — A New Outlook would alias the x-devonthink-item://[A-Z-]+ link.

I would think Safari is sufficient evidence to demonstrate the OS X API, but should more functionality be needed, Scrivener also will open Devonthink when I hyperlink.

Many thanks for the response and considering this request.

Edited by James Tucker

I expect we would support associated text for the actual URL in this manner. Anything else is kind of ugly.

I have had Devonthink Pro Office for many years now but I have never been able to make much sense of it. Could you recommend any resource that would be helpful?

Don't know of any resources. I learn software just by using it. Devonthink is a knowledge base tool. I use it for my research and writing, for it enables running (more) sophisticated searches over data (PDFs, Notes, Excel, etc.) at one time (e.g., a search I ran yesterday was over a subset of data where I queried "Scribe OR Copyist NEAR/15 rewritten."