Mithril

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,607 posts
  • Accordance Version:12.x
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, Windows

Posted 23 January 2014 - 11:51 PM

Hi ya,

I am looking at the syntax for Rom 13:5 which is : 5 διὸ ἀνάγκη ὑποτάσσεσθαι, οὐ μόνον διὰ τὴν ὀργὴν ἀλλὰ καὶ διὰ τὴν συνείδησιν. The chart is

Attached File  syntaxRom13_5.JPG   27.54KB   0 downloads

I am puzzled by a couple of things The description of L is a clause : "A unit of grammatical organization, consisting of a subject and a predicate" to quote the ID. I see the predicate and the multiple adjuncts with the objects of the infinitive in it but no subject. The S contains the subject but appears to be outside the L which indeed I believe it is. Is this tagging correct ? Is the explanation of L to be interpreted a little less punctiliously, do I need to study more Greek syntax ? (the last one gets you no extra credit as the answer is obvious :))

Regarding the S I have another question. I understand that the subject itself is not represented by a word in the GNT28-T. What I don't get is that I would have expected the P-C-ἀνάγκη to be represented as :

P--------------   -

|

C ----------  ἀνάγκη

thus indicating the missing or implied verb also.

Is there a reason that this is not necessary here ? consistency with the grammar model perhaps or some other reason ? or should the verb be represented ?

Thx

D

Sola lingua bona est lingua mortua

ἡ μόνη ἀγαθὴ γλῶσσα γλῶσσα νεκρὰ ἐστιν

lišanu ēdēnitu damqitu lišanu mītu

"Du stammst vom Herrn Adam und der Herrin Eva ab", sagte Aslan. "Und das ist zugleich Ehre genug, um das Häupt des ärmsten Bettlers zu erheben, und genug, um die Schultern des größten Kaisers auf Erden zu beugen. Sei zufrieden." Aslan, Die Chroniken von Narnia, Prinz Kaspian von Narnia. CS Lewis. Übersetzt von Wolfgang Holbein und Christian Rendel.

Accordance Configurations :

Mac : 2009 27" iMac                 Windows : HP 4540s laptop
      Intel Core Duo                          Intel i5 Ivy Bridge
      12GB RAM                                8GB RAM
      Accordance 11.2.4 and 12                Accordance 11.1.6 and 12
      OSX 10.11 (Yosemite)                    Win 10 Professional x64

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users