The Greek Loeb Classics

Enoch

The Loeb Classics would be quite helpful to the NT student who wishes to investigate the meaning of a Greek word. In particular, those Greek authors (like Polybius) who wrote in the time frame c. 200 BC - AD 200 are of particular importance. Imagine being able to use Search All to bring up all the references to a given word in that time frame. IMHO such a collection would make an excellent commentary on the meaning of a word in some verse, better than many commentaries.

It is noted that The Loeb Classics began being published c. 1912 with Appian and others. Many of these volumes must now be public domain, copyright expired. The Loeb Classics features Greek on one page with a facing page English translation. Also the indices are valuable, as when, for example, one wants to study the Biblical character Antiochus IV Epiphanes (who set up an abomination of desolation) -- see Daniel 8:11, & the Olivet Discourse. When one looks in the indices of Loeb classics of historians who covered II BC, one finds Antiochus in the index with a list of where the Loeb classic volume mentions him. Thus it is easy to find what Polybius records about Antiochus, how he frolicked in the public baths with the common folk, etc., how Scipio drew a circle around him in the sand and told him to give his answer before coming out of the circle.

I don't know which if any of the Loeb Classics have already been made ebooks.

A New Module might be entitled: The Loeb Classics Commentary on NT Greek Vocabulary and keyed to reference, so that if one were in a given verse, one might triple click (if so programmed) and get quotations Greek authors who had (for example) four of the same words (in one sentence) that the verse has.

Edited by Enoch
  • Like 1

I love the Loeb volumes. Although I mostly prefer electronic editions of books (especially in Accordance), this is one of the few sets I wouldn't mind completing one day in their physical form (I have quite a few volumes). However, having them in Accordance would be ideal, too, especially if they could be published first and later tagged.