Enhanced User Tool Editor

Stephen

First let me say this application is such a blessing to me. I am currently investing time into learning the seemingly endless feature list that is provided. One area I would enjoy to see advancements is in the user tool editor and the user notes editor. It would be great if it could be made more robust to allow me more flexibility in what I can place there. A general idea would be if you look at the options that are available when I create a post in these forums. I can create bullet lists, embed media, images, quote text and things like that. I would also love to see link aliases and be able to select from a font installed on my system. Lastly the ability to edit within the main application window verses a popup would be great. When you moved from the old style multi-window interface to the current one I almost shouted for joy and would love to see the user tool/user note windows become embedded as well.

So while I greatly appreciate the many advanced features I would love to see some attention given to the ones that I use the most which is creating user tools and leaving notes on verses. In the end isn't that really the main reason we all use Accordance? We use the advanced capabilities to discover a truth then we want to annotate it somewhere for future use.

• Like 3

Well said Stephen. I have often expressed interest in newer titles but realize that I use the user notes and user tools all the time. Thanks for putting it so well.

• Like 1

Hi, Stephen. Thanks for your feedback about Accordance - we appreciate it and take every comment seriously.

We are aware of some of the User Tools and Notes limitations, and we are actively working on some improvements. Accordance 10.4 isn't far away with some nice usability improvements, and more capability improvements have already had their groundwork lain. While keeping in mind that this will never be a full word-processor like Word or Pages, we do want to include features that enable users to more effectively keep their studies in Accordance.

All of that being said, you can already use any font installed in your system. Just go to Preferences -> User Files and uncheck "Use default fonts in font menu".

Hi, Stephen. Thanks for your feedback about Accordance - we appreciate it and take every comment seriously.

All of that being said, you can already use any font installed in your system. Just go to Preferences -> User Files and uncheck "Use default fonts in font menu".

My settings match this but it does not allow me to gain access to the numerous fonts I have installed on my system. No matter what I do I can only use Helvetica, Helena, Yehudit, Rosetta, MSS, Sylvanus, Peshitta, and Salaam.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi ya,

Reviving this thread - I just tried this on Mac 10.4.0 and I too cannot use fonts - either user or system which I can see in the OS font book. Are doing something else incorrectly here ?

OK tried a User Note instead of User Tool. For User Notes it does work, but for Tools not.

Thx

D

Edited by Daniel Semler

Forgive me if I'm misunderstanding , but with a tool, oughtn't you select the font when viewing the tool in a workspace? The font used to develop the tool is irrelevant, as long as it is not Greek, Hebrew, Transliteration, etc.

Since Accordance font renderer doesn't support unicode in the program you can only access ascii characters while developing your module. Therefore, whether you choose Helvetica, Times New Roman, or [God forbid] Comic Sans or Papyrus, the character set will all be exactly the same. Thus, like in any other Accordance module, the user sets the font in the program preferences.

Unless you were wanting to have different fonts for, say, certain title lines, this shouldn't be much of an issue. I believe it's because user notes are something of a scratchpad like item that Accordance handles them differently. Take for instance the shot below. When viewed in the instant details you can see my [awful] font choice. However, when viewed in it's own zone that formatting is lost. This is because, I believe, of the text rendering engine.

Does this help?

post-30445-0-59738100-1394338628_thumb.png

Edited by Graham Buck

Hey Graham,

Thanx for looking into this. Interesting thoughts. I've personally never understood why user notes and user tools are so different. They are almost identical in function really just that one is link ref by ref and the other not. I've never really seen why you might not want to be able to do exactly the same things for a single ref as you might for a lengthier article say. But perhaps the intent was that a User Tool was more like a regular tool as you say above, and that a user note was the unique thing. Hadn't thought of it like that before.

But your comments above shine light on one thing that I've recently noticed : there is an option in the User Notes Set Notes Display dialog, called Standardize Text Display. Until you set this the font options in the Text Display part of the customize theme panel are greyed out. Standardize Text Display is not present for User Tools.

Your comment about Unicode is interesting because I thought Acc had mostly moved over to Unicode, particularly for original language texts. And I assumed/thought that the entire windows dev. was done under Unicode. Are there bits that are not - perhaps this bit ?

Thx

D

Dan,

You may know a bit more in regards to the Windows version than I, I've not read anything on, nor been involved with any of the Windows development. What I do know, however, is that in content development we are still constrained to ascii entry.

Interesting again ... I don't know. I haven't gone to check the modules and had merely assumed.

Of course if I'd read the Accordance doc : file:///Applications/Accordance.app/Contents/Resources/Accordance%20Help/Default.htm#topics/10_ref/unicode_fonts.htm?Highlight=unicode I'd have got a better picture. Ooops.

Thx

D

Just a summary of where we are, bearing in mind that there is a lot of history, and there is ongoing development.

User Notes vs. User Tools:

The Notes were developed first, have more limited capabilities, but the beauty of them is that they are tied accurately to verses no matter which Bible is in parallel, verse order, chapter order, book order, numbering changes... all these are accounted for. We recently introduced the display options to account for the fact that users had always been able to use any font and style, which could result in a rather messy display. Now you can choose to standardize the display which overrides temporarily, the choices made as the Notes were created. We also improved the choices of the texts to which you can hyperlink.

The Tools have always been different with a display setting just like all other tools, so they were uniform and flexible all along. They also have the additional link options and import options.

Unicode:

At this point we are not using Unicode fonts within Accordance except for the Unicode Bibles. What we do support is:

1. Display of Unicode Bible text and import of Unicode Bibles
  2. Export of text as Unicode for compatibility with other platforms and programs
  3. Conversion of pasted Greek or Hebrew Unicode to our fonts in the entry box and editable text
  4. Entry of Greek and Hebrew via the system Unicode keyboard

We have many plans to support Unicode in tools, and to improve User Tools and User Notes, along with many other new features.

• Like 1

And we profusely thank the developers for their work on this. I know that to support Unicode (while still supporting all that's come before) involves an incredible amount of work. It's not just simply flipping a switch.

Edited by Graham Buck

Thanx for the clarifications Helen.

Thx

D

Yes thanks for the info Helen. Looking forward to all the good things that are coming along in the future but most of all thank you for the brilliant software that helps us study the Bible. I know we always seem to want more but that's because what we already have is so good. Thanks to all those working hard developing Accordance.

• 4 months later...

Are there any news on what changes are coming when? Are bigger changes coming in Accordance 11?

Currently I take notes on specific topics on separate Word documents. I was thinking about trying this with a User Tool, but I can't reference a User Tool entry from my User Notes (as far as I know). I found that it is difficult to make lenghy notes on a topic in the User Notes. It's a bit like working on my own study bible. Typically in study bibles there are infos an specific topics, but the texts are only appearing once and then referenced in other places (in addition to the cross references).

Currently I use tables and in future probably pictures. That's another thing why I have to stick to Word documents for now.

It would be great however to have everything in Accordance.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Like the first post above, I would love to see the ability to edit a User Tool and User Note within the main application window without having to do it in a popup.