Highlighting not showing up after sync

Shaun Walker

I have Accordance on iOS and Mac. I have both Mac and iOS syncing via dropbox. Sync is occurring as I see it happen in Accordance (I can manually cause a sync) and I see the update in my dropbox. The problem is that the highlighting I've done on iOS does not show up on my Mac. I'm certain I have selected the same highlight file on the Mac. I've quit. I've opened up a new window of the resource. Still no highlights appearing.

What am I doing wrong?

Shaun

Shaun,

Sorry for your troubles!

A couple of questions:

1. What versions of Accordance on iOS and Mac?
  2. Are you highlighting words or an entire verse on iOS? (If you are highlighting individual words then make sure you are using the same text on the Mac.)
  3. What is the name of you highlighting file? Can you post a picture of your highlight palette on your Mac?
  4. If you highlight on the Mac, sync to dropbox, does the highlighting show up on iOS?

Mike

If you highlight words in ESVi you won't be able to see those on the Mac. This is because we made a special version of the ESVi for the iOS as in those days it was free on iOS but not on the Mac. You cannot install the ESVi on the Mac, but you can install ESVS on the iOS and use that instead of ESVi, and it will share the highlighting.

However, you will have to repeat your highlighting on the ESVS first. You can search for it using the Style command with an * and then repeat it in the parallel pane.

Mike: Here are some answers to your questions:

• I am using version 10.3.4 on my Mac.
  • I am highlighting sentences in Grudem's Systematic theology on my iOS.
  • The name of my highlight file is "Shaun Highlights" (sans the quotes)
  • When I highlight sentences in Grudem's Systematic on my Mac I see dropbox sync. I open up Accordance on iOS. The highlight does NOT appear in Grudem's Systematic on iOS.

Helen:

I've verified I'm using the same resource (by carefully checking the name) on both Mac and iOS. I also verified I have the same highlights file selected on iOS as I do for the Mac app.

Any suggestions?

• When I highlight sentences in Grudem's Systematic on my Mac I see dropbox sync. I open up Accordance on iOS. The highlight does NOT appear in Grudem's Systematic on iOS.

Any suggestions?

I downloaded this General Tool and was able to see the highlight updates on iOS. I noticed on the display settings (both texts and tools) that there is an option for displaying word highlights:

post-406-0-68364400-1393633255_thumb.png

If I turn this option off then my word highlights go away. Can you check the setting for this module?

Mike

Edited by Mike Garrity

Mike,

That option is turned on. I turned it off and my highlights did disappear on iOS. Turned it on and they reappear. Still nothing showing up on my Mac.

Shaun,

I apologize for misunderstanding your original problem (thought it was not showing up on iOS not on your Mac).

THis time I highlighted a word in this module on iOS, dropbox synced, and it showed up on my Mac. BTW, you can also hide the highlighting on the Mac with this module's display preferences (Command-T), so make sure you are not hiding them.

Otherwise, I wonder if this highlight file has become corrupt. You can test this by:

• creating a new highlight file, highlighting in this module, and dropbox sync to the Mac
  • reverting to a previous version of this highlight file. Was this a recent issue? I would use Dropbox to restore a previous version. Let us know if you need help doing this.

Mike

I made a new highlight file on my mac. I went to iOS and synced. I chose that highlight file in the Accordance preferences/settings in iOS. I highlighted a couple of sentences. I synced iOS to dropbox. I saw the update "appear" on my mac. I opened up that same tool on Mac Accordance. No highlight shown. ; (

Shaun,

Private message sent

Mike

• 5 weeks later...

I also am having the same problem syncing between ios and mac. I am using the dropbox syncing, and regardless of whether I highlight on ios or mac, the highlights refuse to show up after syncing. Was there a resolution to this issue? I am running 10.4.1 and I am using Three View on the Rapture resource.

Sorry for not posting the result. Here is the response I sent him after investigating the situation with Grudem's Systematic:

Turns out that this module went through an extensive update going from 1.1 to 2.0. This module was released without page numbers and they were added in version 2.0. I think that most (if not all) of the recently released modules have page numbers.
Unfortunately, I don't think there is any way to update the highlighting you did in version 1.1 to appear correctly in version 2.0.

So the first thing to check is that both versions (on Mac and iOS) of your module are the same.

You can also do a search for the highlighting style that you are adding to see where the highlighting is showing up on iOS. (Search for [style yellow] in the English content to find all highlights named "yellow")

Let us know what you find out,

Mike

I think I solved my issue. I realized I had not selected the correct highlight file between ios and the mac. Thx.

How often does automatic sync happen on mac and ios?