History should remember Search Text and Search Mode

Darin Franklin

Let's say I search for "plant" in NAS95S using Words and Flex Search. I get 116 flex hits.

Then I enter "spirit", switch the Search Text to NRSV, and switch to Exact Search. I get 613 exact hits.

Now, I go to the history menu and choose "plant" again. Instead of showing me the previous result, I now get 56 exact hits. That is because it searched NRSV this time and used Exact Search.

Here is another example. I search for "love" in NRSV using Words and Exact Search: 584 exact hits.

Then I switch to GNT-T and search for αγαπη: 116 hits.

Now I choose "love" from history. It doesn't recognize this as a Greek word, and it offers "λοιδορεω (to insult, scoff at, revile)" instead. :)

Third example. Search "Isa 55:1" in NRSV using Verses. Then "Matt 5:1" in GNT-T using Verses. Now choose "Isa 55:1" from History. It gives an error because GNT-T doesn't contain Isaiah.

The history should remember the Search Text and the Search Mode (Flex/Exact) so that when the item is selected, it gives exactly the same results as before. It is History, after all, and you can't change history. It does seem to remember the Words/Verses setting already.

Since the history menu button would now affect the Search Text and the Search Mode, it should be moved out of the search entry area and placed to the left of the other buttons. Continuing with the search bar makeover mockup I began in another thread, here is my proposal, version 3. (In the other thread, I suggested that you remove the Flex/Exact setting from the History menu and incorporate it into the Verses/Words mode selector. Then move the Verses/Words button out of the search text area, as it was prior to Accordance 10.)

post-29604-0-66778100-1393792885_thumb.png

I actually agree with this suggestion. It would be a nice improvement.

I know I am not correct, but I thought the history did remember text and mode. In fact I remember teaching it at one stage - though I mustn't have actually demonstrated it...it would be a very nice addition.

The next step would be to change the simple drop down list into a segmented control with the familiar back/forward buttons. The user could page back in history to see the inputs and results of previous searches.

post-29604-0-19485100-1393895915_thumb.png