Best Bible Dictionary

jhancock61

From all you experienced Bible software experts, which dictionary series in your opinion is the best investment, Anchor or IVP?

Depends on what you are hoping to gain out of it and how you would use it (and in what settings, etc.)?

One thing to note is that the Anchor is a complete A-Z set in multiple volumes, while the IVP black dictionaries (complete in print, I believe, but not all yet in Accordance) are grouped by sections of the Bible like "Pentateuch" and "Gospels," etc. So if you're looking for something that is currently "finished" in Accordance, you'd want Anchor.

I love the IVP dictionaries, thought--they're pretty in-depth, from what I've used thus far.

Anchor is the de facto standard for university graduate students, who generally must be aware of the various positions and theories, especially critical ones. It is also, as Abram said, quite complete.

The various IVP dictionaries [the "black" ones] are currently the best place to access state-of-the-discipline scholarship on the issues they address (though they don't address every issue). The authors are also considerably more conservative and evangelical in persuasion that Anchor's.

I highly recommend the Essential IVP Reference Set in Accordance, though. It is a great deal and include much more than just the "black volumes."At $144.99, it's a great deal! http://www.accordancebible.com/store/details/?pid=IVP2