Image Use Question

Lorinda H. M. Hoover

Many of various training and promotional materials (e.g. Dr. J's podcasts, the blog) talk about using images from Accordance in Keynotes, for teaching, etc. But when I checked the "About the Text" info for the Photoguide 3 today, to credit an image I want to use in Sunday's keynote, I see the following:

Photographs and original artwork may not be reproduced or republished in any form, whether for print, Internet, or other electronic media, without the express written consent of their respective copyright holders.

I'd like clarification about the policy for use of photos. Are you assuming use in worship and teaching falls under fair use? Or do we need to request written consent whenever we want to use an image? If the latter, how do we know who to ask for the various images?

Lorinda

Hi Lorinda,

Well, it seems that in the States the following applies (I'm from Canada, so I'm not sure how things are different here)...

17 U.S.C. § 107

Notwithstanding the provisions of sections 17 U.S.C. § 106 and 17 U.S.C. § 106A, the fair use of a copyrighted work, including such use by reproduction in copies or phonorecords or by any other means specified by that section, for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching (including multiple copies for classroom use), scholarship, or research, is not an infringement of copyright. In determining whether the use made of a work in any particular case is a fair use the factors to be considered shall include:

1. the purpose and character of the use, including whether such use is of a commercial nature or is for nonprofit educational purposes;
  2. the nature of the copyrighted work;
  3. the amount and substantiality of the portion used in relation to the copyrighted work as a whole; and
  4. the effect of the use upon the potential market for or value of the copyrighted work.

EDIT: source (http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/17/107)

Edited by T. Conrad

So,

I think that you would probably be OK were you to use it at least for purposes of teaching. I'm no lawyer, though. Copyright is a complicated beast... o_O

Regards,

Tim

Our position regarding images has always been:

• Maps and Timelines that you create using our tools can be used and reproduced in any way you wish, though we always appreciate acknowledgment.
  • Photographic images are all copyright. You are free to use them in teaching and presentations, also to print them for limited local use. The restrictions apply to publishing the images whether in print or on the internet, especially the latter since once posted the image can be used by anyone who finds it on Google. You need to request permission for such uses. For example, there is usually no problem in including the image in a video since one cannot retrieve the original image.

I hope this clarifies the issues for you.

• Like 2

Thanks, Helen. That's very helpful. I try hard to follow copyright and licensing rules. Our own denominational experts have stressed that use in worship often does not fall under "fair use," thus my caution in this case. I can understand and appreciate the distinction between presentations used in teaching and worship and publishing things in print on or the internet.

Lorinda

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Is it the same policy to use Accordance "banner" image on the main website, as a "featured image" in a blog post? (Like the one here: http://abramkj.com/2014/10/10/7-new-features-in-accordance-11/)

How do I obtain permission to use the picture if I want to use it on a blog post? And where can I find images for promotional use?

Thank you.

You may use any images you please from our website. Thanks for sharing the good news.

• Like 2

• 2 years later...

Our position regarding images has always been:

• Maps and Timelines that you create using our tools can be used and reproduced in any way you wish, though we always appreciate acknowledgment.

• Photographic images are all copyright. You are free to use them in teaching and presentations, also to print them for limited local use. The restrictions apply to publishing the images whether in print or on the internet, especially the latter since once posted the image can be used by anyone who finds it on Google. You need to request permission for such uses. For example, there is usually no problem in including the image in a video since one cannot retrieve the original image.

I hope this clarifies the issues for you.

I used some images from photoguide in a sermon.  the sermon is recorded as a video and is posted online. can the images be kept in the video recording or do they need to be edited out of the online version?  when i mention the photo, it pops up on the screen.

The high quality image cannot be extracted form the video so it's fine to keep them in. I hope you acknowledged the source.

• Like 1

ah ok will remember to attribute the source in the future. can you give me an example how that would look?

image taken from accordance bible photoguide overview? something like this?

Yes, or a simple general acknowledgement that photos (or images, maps, etc.) used in this sermon come from Accordance Bible Software.

Helen Brown,

I just noticed this post regarding image use.  I too, thanks to Dr. J's podcasts had the definite impression that we could use these photos for anything.  There's nothing in your product description about copyright.  

I just spent $80 a few weeks ago for several of these photo guide modules.

I'd like my money back!  If I can't use the pictures, I don't need to look at them.

How do I get a refund?

Rod Wisdom

• Like 1

You are free to use the pictures in many ways, just not to publish them without permission.