The Pencil

Randy Steffens Jr

The new user-note pencil in 10.4.0 works well, except for times when more than one verse occupies a single line. In those instances, when I click the pencil, I always get a user-note for the last verse on that line. It would be nice if when I click the first verse on a line, and then click the pencil, I would get a note for that first verse, rather than the last one.

By the way, to me the pencil design, and particularly color, look a little out-of-style with the rest of the accordance interface. It might be nice to see a future update further refine the color/design to better blend with rest of the UI.

Thanks,

Randy

Edited by Randy Steffens Jr
  • Like 1

Click the pencil above, where the verse starts.

And, I agree with you the pencil design is not great.

I find The Pencil to be really distracting. The bright yellow color is hard to tune out, and it's always popping up. I suppose that it was introduced to give a target to right-click. If it would show up only when the mouse is over the margin area, where you could actually click on it, that would be a little better.

I have another problem, though. Someone has littered little bits of paper all over Eph. 3! :o

post-29604-0-99618400-1394503518_thumb.png

Instead of the pencil and paper icons, I would prefer a more traditional footnote symbol. I tried something yesterday to see if I could replace the notepad icon with something more subtle. In /Applications/Accordance.app/Contents/Resources/icons, I found the notepad (11260.png) and replaced it with a copy of the diamond (295.png).

post-29604-0-04843800-1394505169_thumb.png

It works! The diamond shape makes a very nice "footnote" symbol without distracting from the text.

post-29604-0-02726200-1394504428_thumb.png

Here's my suggestion. Change the notepad icon to a diamond. Change the pencil to the same diamond shape, but lighter in color. It fades in to half intensity, showing that you can click to add a note. Change the multiple note icon to the diamond with a little plus, like I added next to verse 5.

• Like 2

Here's my suggestion. Change the notepad icon to a diamond.

The request is somewhat ironic because the old icon was actually just a little red dot, but I share your preference for a more subtle indicator. Love the litter comment.

Regarding clicking the pencil, here's a screen-shot to illustrate what I mean. You can see that verse 8 & 9 are sandwiched between other verses on the same line. When I click the pencil wanting a user note for verse 8, I get a note for verse 10 because it's the last verse in the line. I'd like to be able to click on verse 8 , and then click the pencil, and get a note for the exact verse on which I clicked.

And regarding the design, I'd be happy with any redesign of the pencil and note icons that looks more uniform and less distracting. Pretty clever to go in there and replace the icons manually! I might try that. :)

Randy

capture.tiff