Separate Atlas App

Juan D. Pinto

I've always thought that the iPad would make the perfect tool for a comprehensive historical map of the biblical world. I've often looked in the App Store for something to satisfy my needs but sadly no one has ever done even a somewhat decent job of this, at least as far as I've found. I know that there are plans to bring the Accordance Atlas over to iOS, for which I am very excited. Hopefully this comes sooner than later!

I was just thinking that instead of incorporating it into the Accordance App, it may be more beneficial to create an entirely separate app dedicated strictly to the Atlas. How great would that be! The entire app could be designed with mapping technology in mind. And not only would us faithful Accordance users finally get access to our beloved Atlas, but I think it would also enable many other people out there to experience what a biblical atlas has to offer without having to go through the Accordance App to access it.

Anyway, just an idea.

• Like 1

Interesting idea, but wouldn't that basically mean giving up on Accordance's main advantages of having tools that integrate and interact with one another? Maybe there could be some sort of inter-app communications, but I always felt that all iOS apps that interact with other apps is a bit rough.

• 11 months later...

can anyone give me an idea of when the Atlas may be available for iOS and will a place name in the text be able to link to the Atlas and PhotoGuide?

No idea at present.

In the meanwhile you may want to try Bible Maps Plus. They are really cheap and well done. https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/bible-maps-plus/id669051292?mt=8

But don't overlook the value of using modules like the Zondervan Bible Atlas and the maps contained in it are much more extensive. http://www.accordancebible.com/store/details/?pid=Zondervan%20Atlas

Edited by Tony Lawrence
  • Like 1

The Zondervan Atlas is excellent, but those of you with smaller budgets might want to consider the Holman Book of Biblical Charts, Maps, and Reconstructions ($14.90), Rose Deluxe Then and Now Bible Maps ($29.90), or the New Bible Atlas, which is part of the Essential IVP Reference Collection. All of these are great resources.

• Like 1