Codex Vaticanus crashes

Abram K-J

Using the Codex Vaticanus text (not images) consistently crashes the Accordance app, no matter what I do with it. Latest iOS and Accordance. iPad mini.

Same thing on iPhone 5c--virtually unusable beyond just scrolling up and down.

What consistently causes a crash, both on iPad mini and iPhone, is tapping on the letter "A" to try to change the font. Landscape mode is particularly crash-prone.

Let me know if you need more details on my preferences, etc.

Update (using iPhone)--Washingtonensis exhibits the same behavior. Sinaiticus (usually) lets me change font size via the AA display, but there is at least a full second display--when it does work.

Anyone else seeing a similar issue in iOS? It's a bummer, since the primary reason I got these texts was for use in iOS....

I was able to use GNT-VAT with no issues, adjusting size, etc. But, I then tried rotating the view and did get a crash. We'll look into it further. No resources should crash the app, so don't worry about buyer's remorse, we'll fix it.

• Like 1

Just noticed this thread from a year or so ago, Rick. Not sure if it's ultimately related. The issues I had were for just about anything from the Codex Add-on, if that info helps.

Yes, it is related; I knew this all sounded familiar. I don't know if these memory issues were fully resolved (nor if they can be completely on iOS). For now I recommend reducing leading to 0, display as separate verses, but do not suppress poetry (as this does not reflect the manuscript's columns). Doing this definitely improves performance for me, and does not now crash the app when rotating to landscape.

Thanks, Rick--this helps. Did you mean that it would still be looked into, even with the settings adjustment you mention? The one downside to doing display as separate verses is that that does break up the manuscript's columns where a new line doesn't correspond to a new verse. I'm not crashing now, though, with that setting.

It will still be looked into, but there may not be an easy solution. Note that I was only getting a crash when rotating to landscape. Scrolling was lagging, but no crashes, when I had it displayed as paragraphs.

Okay, good. There's also a lag in pulling up Instant Details on iOS when set to display as paragraphs.

• 1 month later...

I would like to be able to use the Codex texts in iOS (in both portrait and landscape) without having to display as separate verses (the current workaround I've been using), as this changes the actual manuscript layout. Any word on if progress has been made in resolving the issues at the top of the thread, or will it remain as is? The Codex modules all work great in Acccordance desktop.

I would like to be able to use the Codex texts in iOS (in both portrait and landscape) without having to display as separate verses (the current workaround I've been using), as this changes the actual manuscript layout. Any word on if progress has been made in resolving the issues at the top of the thread, or will it remain as is? The Codex modules all work great in Acccordance desktop.

Desktop doesn't have this issue because of greater memory allocation. This issue only affects a small number of texts that lack consistent (or any at all in the case of these MSS) paragraph divisions. The very large paragraphs (essentially each chapter is treated as a paragraph) are causing the iOS app to have issues rendering the text and crashes. My understanding from our developers is that this is not at all an easy fix, and only affects a handful of texts, and only on iOS (not desktop, where that code is shared). So, at this point I don't know where this stands, but I can check again.

But, as I mentioned above I was able to use these in paragraph mode without crashing as long as I didn't rotate. Not ideal, but seems to be acceptable to me for now.

• 2 weeks later...

So, at this point I don't know where this stands, but I can check again.

Thanks. I'll look forward to any status updates on this.