Where are the downloads?

Helen Brown

Helen - I tried to reply publicly to your note about updating modules with the AccUpdater, but it doesn't accept replies.

My question is this (and I'm sure others will have the same question, so please post it):

I started updating some modules using the AccUpdater, but I cannot find where it is downloading the files. I have looked in the obvious places - Desktop, My Downloads folder, and both the Application Accordance folders and the Accordance Documents folders, but found nothing.

Where should they be?

The files are downloaded to an invisible location and then transferred to the Accordance folder, replacing your old files. There is no need to do anything (in theory). In practice there may be some Read me and Words files that need to be moved manually. This is the first release of this feature, so there may be a few glitches. You must launch Accordance again to get the updated modules and update the widget list.

Helen,

Are you still planning on posting the updates for download on the purchased modules download page? For some reason GNT-T, GNT-WH, and Waltke will not install properly. On the GNTs I it says an error has occurred and with Waltke is seems stuck on "Installing..."

I'll look into those individual modules to see if theres some specific behavior, but its likely you just got unlucky and need to try again. Unfortunately, one of Apple's applications I'm using to facilitate the automatic updates (BOMArchiveHelper) is extremely buggy and tends to crash a lot, which causes problems as those modules don't get installed. Of course, these widgets never seem to be too stable either, so it probably wouldn't hurt to reload it at some point and see if that helps. One good thing about this widget is there are no .plist files to get possibly corrupted! Anyway, I'll get back to you if there is some module specific instance, but I doubt it (at least for the GNT-T, that was tested fairly heavily).

Thanks for your quick response, Joel. I removed and re-added the widget. Here's what happened when I clicked download. Thanks for any help you can give!

I tried to get the latest GNT-T, but haven't been successful. The widget "turns over" with a request for a password. After putting in the password "Continue" does nothing - "Cancel" does work and the widget turns to the front again. Clicking download starts something - the download lights flicker for about 30 seconds - then nothing.

The only file I can find on the web site for downloading a new widget brings up version 1.1 (not version 2.0).

I can't find GNT-T 3.2 on the web site for download.

E

Oops! I have now updated the separate download of the widget, but it is included with the 7.1 installers.

Please be sure to restart Accordance before checking whether the module has in fact been updated. It sounds like the widget is finding the new version of the module when it tries to execute the update.

There is no need to remove the widget if it really fails, you might try restarting the Mac.

Many thanks - I downloaded the widget and after installing and a restart everything went as it should.

Thank you for the quick reply

E

I tried downloading an update last night but nothing seemed to happen -- the widget said "downloading" for a while, but when I couldn't find any downloaded file (now I realize that it was not yet visible), I disconnected the internet connection and shut down my mac. This morning when I started up, I tried again. Now the widget is flashing between "downloading" and "Scanning for updates," and has been doing so for about 2 hours with no visible progress. How do I shut down the widget and try again from the beginning?

I tried downloading an update last night but nothing seemed to happen -- the widget said "downloading" for a while, but when I couldn't find any downloaded file (now I realize that it was not yet visible), I disconnected the internet connection and shut down my mac. This morning when I started up, I tried again. Now the widget is flashing between "downloading" and "Scanning for updates," and has been doing so for about 2 hours with no visible progress. How do I shut down the widget and try again from the beginning?

Downloading and installing of the modules can take a significant amount of time. Each module can be several megabytes, so be patient with the process. The widget probably crashed due to the internet disconnection in the middle of the download. To clear the widget, simply close it and open up a new instance. You can close a widget by holding the option key and hovering over it to reveal a closebox. Alternatively, showing the dashboard toolbox of widgets causes all widgets to reveal their closeboxes.

Just another fair warning to people: I've found a very high crash/error percentage on the BOMArchiveHelper, causing modules not to get installed. If a certain module doesn't get updated, just try again or restart your computer first. I wish there were a way to not use this program, but due to the module's use of resource forks, only that application can handle them.

Just to share my experience, I ran version 2.0 of the widget and it identified two modules and downloaded them, but did not install them. The downloads themselves looked complete, and when I unzipped them and re-combined the resource forks and manually copied them to my Modules folder, they worked correctly and reported the appropriate version numbers.

Here's what I have experienced: I can download one update successfully using the widget. Each one after that fails until I restart (logging out doesn't seem to work). Then one more will update. Then restart. Etc.

Generally, the updates that have been downloaded are not consistently showing up in the widget as being updated: in other words, after I have updated the BDB module, it still appears in the widget as needing to be updated.

If, as you say Joel, the system the widget uses has a high rate of failure, why don't you just post all of the modules here - http://www.accordancebible.com/resources/d...sed_modules.php - on your website. I'd rather not use the widget at all, but it seems to be the only way I can update some of my modules.

Sorry for the hassles some of you are experiencing. It is simply not practical for us to make installers and post all the modules as separate downloads. I hope the widget will prove easier for everyone in the long run, but please be patient as we work out any kinks. We did test it extensively, believe me....

It worked!!! I tried the Widget and it gave me 8 modules to check off. I checked them all and hit Download Updates. It asked for my password. After entering it at first I wondered if it was working. Also I was wondering if I was stuck in Dashboard land until it was done. I went in and out of Dashboard land though and the widget just kept on working. I too looked for files and couldn't find any. Finally though little boxes started popping up like an installer was actually installing something. It happened too fast to read what any of them said. But after starting up Accordance and checking About Text... I could see the new version numbers, and when I tried the widget again I had a short list of modules that are evidently not available for update through the widget. None of the ones that I had checked earlier to download were on the list any more. Thank you thank you thank you for these free updates.

For all the little snags with the widget, I think this is an excellent tool to keep us up-to-date. It's nice to get instant updates and not have to order the latest CD for .x updates to a text. Thank you Oak Tree!

Agreed. Invisible technology is the best.

One-click auto-updates and no need to mess about with resource forks!

All I get when I try to download any update is "Failed, Please try again" (after lengthy Downloading... message) I do, again, and again and again. I close/open widget, I turn off/on widget, I stop/restart running of widget. Still does not work.

I don't know what else to do.

Tom

MacBook

Just an FYI for everybody, I was able to find some different technology that doesn't crash and is *much* faster! Hooray for not using Apple's programs. Of course the downloading won't be faster, as thats user dependent, but the extracting/installing process should be much better all around. Right now this upgrade is in testing (version 2.1b), but as soon as I'm happy with the results, I'll post it. If you are having a lot of difficulty with the current version of the widget and would like to try this newer version, send me a private message.

I am running the latest version of Accordance, the latest version of AccUpdater, and the latest version of Mac OSX on a PowerMac G5 with 2.5 GB Ram. All I have ever gotten from AccUpdater is "Failed, please try again." Frankly, I am disgusted and have given up the idea of updating Accordance until you post updated modules on the website. I feel that I have wasted enough time.

Jack Caviness

Jack:

I understand your frustration. Actually I cannot get the updates to work on my own desktop, but they do seem to work for everyone else, and we cannot figure out why.

Same here. After the Widget solemnly declared "Modules updated" I run it again and I was asked to update the same modules over and over and over again ...

Alejandro, did you re-run Accordance after updating your modules? If not, the widget will not know they were updated.

Thanks Robb! Now everything looks updated.

Alejandro, did you re-run Accordance after updating your modules? If not, the widget will not know they were updated.

Good morning Helen. Yea, after the first malfunction with it I did check of an update. I'm currently downloading it again and I'll give it another shot. I'll let you know either way.

I downloaded the widget (again) and installed it and I'm still getting the same indication. Entering the admin password makes the widget freeze. Cancel and download again gets it going. Downloads the Waltke module and then says Installing... forever.

I have never been able to get the other widget working either. I wonder if I have a bad install of Accordance or something?

I'm running OS X 10.4.8 on a G4 867MHz Powerbook with 1G of memory. Using the most recent version of Accordance.

Same here.

Latest version of the widget.

Latest version of Accordance.

Latest version of OS X.

The previous widget seemed to at least acknowledge the input of the user password.

Question: do you need to have Dashboard activated and brought to the front for the widget to work, or can you let it run in the background, unseen?

~A!

The widget can both scan and download in the background.

Joel wonders whether you may have done a custom install of OS X. he is contacting you directly. We will have an update on the widget very soon.

Archived