BHS with Westminster Hebrew Morphology

Nicholous Rogers

Hi all, I have the Accordance software with the Bible Study Collection. I am looking to upgrade the BHS-4WD (Demo version) and after looking through the Hebrew resources online, am a little confused as to which way to go. I'm a layperson who dearly loves to search the Scriptures but I am disabled and therefore have to make best use of my finances when purchasing Accordance modules.

I need some guidance here, which is the best way to go with the Hebrew Scripture? I see that several of the Hebrew Bibles are part of rather expensive collections. With a limited budget, which way to go, to get the most bang for my buck, while at the same time, getting the best possible Hebrew text.

Thanks much, Nicholous Rogers

In terms of Hebrew texts, your two basic choices are:

Biblia Hebraica with Westminster Hebrew Morph 4 (HMT-4)

and

Biblia Hebraica Stuttgartensia with Apparatus and tagging (BHS-T)

The two texts are practically identical, according to the Accordance website. The primary difference is that the second includes an apparatus with notes about variations in the text, suggested emmendations, comparisons with ancient translations, etc. The apparatus is not in English. It uses a combination of Latin, Greek, and Hebrew. I've attached a screen shot of the apparatus (and accompanying text) for the first few verses of Genesis.

post-407-0-21050600-1396837625_thumb.png

My own take is that you would not need the apparatus at this point, but I'm making some assumptions there about the level of your use and interest that may not be valid.

You would need a Hebrew lexicon (dictionary). The Hebrew Bible Add-On is only $10 more than the HMT-4, includes a basic Hebrew lexicon and a couple of other reference tools that would be helpful to you if you ever added the apparatus. Even if you want the apparatus now, you might get the best deal by purchasing the Hebrew Bible Add-On and the upgrade to the apparatus.

Lorinda