Searching For Anarthrous θεος

oupavios

I'm trying to find evey occurance of θεος which is not preceded by the article. Should be simple right? I've tried a number of things, but nothing seems to be working. This is how I currently have it set up. Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks.

post-32823-0-74930900-1397599382_thumb.png

Your construct is actually set up to find occurrences of θεός preceded by an article, which is exactly what you don't want. Since you're only searching for two words, it might be easier to do this in a regular text search using the string below.

=θεός <NOT> <PRECEDED BY> <WITHIN 1 Words> =ὁ

Sometimes searches are more easily done in the entry box, rather than the construct. Try this one out:

θεος =ὁ

Oops, Jonathan beat me to the entry box answer!

If you do really want to do a construct search, its a bit more complicated to get accurate results. Here's the best I could come up with:

Screen Shot 2014-04-15 at 5.13.28 PM.png

Basically, we are searching for any span of two word before θεος, but the middle word can't be the article. You have to set your Scope to chapter or book, though, or instances of θεος at the beginning of a verse won't be found.

But as you can tell, its much more complicated - I strongly recommend the entry box solution for queries like these.

Thanks for the quick replies. Is there documentation somewhere explaining how to do different types of searches using the entry box?

Thanks,

-Rob Campanaro

Yep, open the Accordance Help from within the program and navigate to Biblical Research and Analyses > Search Criteria > Search Commands > Search Commands. You can also look up the Lighting the Lamp podcast in iTunes and find some of the older podcasts on searches (start with 3.1-3.3). There's also a pair specifically on Greek searches (11.1-11.2). These were made with an older Accordance version that had a slightly different user interface, but the functionality is the same. There are also some more recent archived webinars on basic searching and Greek searching (http://www.accordancebible.com/Webinar-Archives).

Edited by JonathanHuber