Brian K. Mitchell

It, would be nice to have the digtial images of the Leningrad Codex Facsimile Edition (David Noel Freedman). When the Codex was first annouced back in 1998 the WSRP (West Semitic Research project) stated that digital images weren't available because of the publication of the facsimile, but as it now appears to be out of print (see here) I wonder if those at the WSRP would be willing to consider allowing Accordance to aquire digital images of the Leningrad Codex for inclusion in a new module?

For those wondering why one might request images of the Leningrad Codex here are a few reasons:

(1) The Leningrad Codex is currently the oldest 'complete' manuscript of the Hebrew Bible

(2) The BHS (& the not yet finnished BHQ) are diplomatic transcriptions of the Leningrad Codex

(3) Many (if not most) of Accordance's Hebrew Bible databases are based on the Leningrad Codex

(4) Many translations of the Hebrew Bible use the Leningrad Codex as their base and departure by way of the BHS/BHQ

POST SCRIPT:

(5) "Accordance would be the first/only(to my knowledge) software to integrate images of this codex" Abram K-J (5/12/2014)

(6) A digital edition would be a lot lighter, and far more convenient to carry around than the physical facsimile. Anywhere, one could take a notebook (PC / Mac) or a tablet computer with Accordance one would be able to access the codex.

Edited by bkMitchell
  • Like 2

(5) Accordance would be the first/only (to my knowledge) software to integrate images of this codex.

Fantastic idea.

Thanks for the 'like' Abram! and yeah number 5 is a great reason. If, you have anymore please feel free to added them here!

Okay, I thought of one more reason:

(6) A digital edition would be a lot lighter, far more convenient to carry around than the physical facsimile. Anywhere, one could carry a notebook (PC / MAC) or a tablet pc one would be able to access the codex!

Edited by bkMitchell

It would certainly be nice to have the newer photos in Accordance. For now, though, a readable PDF of the whole codex is available here (I've used it for checking the various print and digital editions):

https://archive.org/details/Leningrad_Codex

• Like 5

--

Edited by -------------
  • Like 2

Thanks for the link James! That is a very interesting website! :)

• 6 months later...

Just noticed this thread and I agree that a digital image module of the Leningrad Codex would be an exceptionally great addition for Accordance. That goes for the Aleppo Codex, too! I wonder why no-one has been allowed to do it yet, seeing that the facsimiles are out of print and all..

With kind regards

Peter Christensen

*EDIT*

And thank you, Professor Holmstedt, for providing the link - This is a great workaround!

*Second EDIT*

...And thank you, James, for the link to the equally important Aleppo codex. This thread just keeps getting better and better!

Edited by Pchris
  • Like 1

A few years ago the site bibles.org had loads of PDF scans and facsimiles of early printed Bible texts, as well as the major Greek mss (such as Vaticanus and Alexandrinus). Pity it isn't up any more.

Ouch - I wish had been aware of that web page back then.

Edited by Pchris

+1010 for images of Aleppo and Leningradensis!

• Like 2

+1010 for images of Aleppo and Leningradensis!

Couldn't have said it better myself!

Ouch - I wish had been aware of that web page back then.

What were you looking for? I downloaded the entire site.

• Like 1

That's very kind of you, Alistair, thank you very much!
Hmm.. now that I have the Leningrad and Aleppo codices from the links mentioned above, I guess that Sinaiticus, Vaticanus, Alexandrinus and Ephraemi would be nice to have. ..And the Aquila, Symmachus and Theodotion recensions if you have those, too. But only if it isn't too much of a hassle for you, of course.

I sent you a PM. There may be better quality images available elsewhere, the ones I have are facsimiles from the late 1800s and early 1900s that have been subsequently scanned.

I seem to remember the British Library put Sinaiticus online several years ago.

Edited by Alistair
  • Like 1

Yes that were very nice, but I must say its were nicer if the owner (Organization or what else) make new photos with a new resolution. Some of the old photos are very difficult to read in the black and white photo even 'cause many codex's are not like "ironed". So many looks like after a Cow bit on it.

Greetings

Fabian

That's very kind of you, Alistair, thank you very much!

Hmm.. now that I have the Leningrad and Aleppo codices from the links mentioned above, I guess that Sinaiticus, Vaticanus, Alexandrinus and Ephraemi would be nice to have. ..And the Aquila, Symmachus and Theodotion recensions if you have those, too. But only if it isn't too much of a hassle for you, of course.

I sent you a PM. There may be better quality images available elsewhere, the ones I have are facsimiles from the late 1800s and early 1900s that have been subsequently scanned.

I seem to remember the British Library put Sinaiticus online several years ago.

Many of the most important uncial manuscripts of the New Testament are now available online (some as simple collections of high-resolution images; some as advanced, navigable websites). Codex Sinaiticus is available here. Codex Alexandrinus is available here. Codex Ephraemi is available here. Codex Bezae is available here. To my knowledge, Codex Vaticanus is not yet available, although there are plans to do so.

Although it can be handy to have PDF versions of earlier facsimiles available for offline review, their quality is generally inferior to that of online images. Of the facsimiles that were listed on bible.org, the facsimile of Codex Sinaiticus (prepared by Kirsopp Lake in the early 20th century) is still used by some scholars, but I believe the facsimile of Codex Vaticanus was the one prepared by Cardinal Angelo Mai in the 1860s, which contained so many errors that some textual critics have described it as "worthless." The facsimile of Codex Ephraemi was prepared by Tischendorf in the 1840s and reproduces the manuscript with type rather than photographs; this makes it problematic as well, as it obscures the fact that the manuscript is a very difficult palimpsest.

• Like 3

Although it can be handy to have PDF versions of earlier facsimiles available for offline review, their quality is generally inferior to that of online images.

Agreed. This is exactly the case.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

I must have been away for way too long! I am not sure how I could have missed the great news!

The Leningrad Codex images are now available in the Accordance store!!!!!!!! :lol:

Forum announcement:

http://www.accordancebible.com/forums/topic/16446-new-leningrad-codex-images/

Store page:

http://www.accordancebible.com/store/details/?pid=Leningrad+Codex+Images

To everyone at Oak Tree; Accordance for making this happen:

THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH!