Other Downloadable updates

Tom

Please explain to me again why several of my modules can't be updated directly by downloading an updated version? I'm not talking about major updates (1.0 to 2.0, though that would be nice, i.e. NIDNTT from 1.0 to 2.0), but modules from a 1.0 to a 1.1 update. It seems the only way to update some modules is to purchase a CD to do this.

For example:

NIDOTTE from 1.0 to 1.1

NIV Dictionary 1.1 to 1.2

ASV from 1.4 to 1.6

and others

Will the downloadable module selection increase over time? It is much more convenient to be able to download a module and be done with it. Even if it means me dragging the downloaded file to where it needs to be.

Tom

As mentioned in a comment on the Blog, this is the current policy:

Currently, the official policy of determining which modules will be able to be updated with the widget is as follows: If the module has been updated since it was released on a "now current" CD, we will post it online for easy updating. This enables the users to make sure they always have the latest versions of modules that come on the latest CDs. For example, if we were to publish the CD Musical Chronicles of David (not a real CD, don't count this as a rumor!) which contained "Musical Analyses 1.0", but at some point we updates that module to 1.1, you'd be able to update that module easily with the widget. Thats because the Musical Chronicles CD would be a "currently released" CD, yet doesn't have the latest versions of all the modules.

It is subject to change, but for now thats what determines what modules get posted online. Sorry for the length of the explanation, when I wrote it wasn't entirely in my sharpest mindset.

Archived