Do you preach from your iPad?

Timothy Jenney

I am preparing a podcast on preaching from an iPad using Accordance. I'd love to hear from some of you who are doing this regularly. What suggestions and tips would you offer to our viewers? Anything you'd recommend they avoid?

Thanks (in advance) for the input!

I'm curious to see how others use their iPads, too.

For me, I admit it's really basic. I simply read my preaching outline from GoodReader, where I also have the majority of scripture readings inserted. I have read longer selections from Accordance, but prefer not to switch apps.

I have also experimented with a presentation clock on my iPhone on the podium / stand, but that didn't work too well as I never looked at it.

I have not yet tried it, but want to next time, to run the ProPresenter app from my iPhone or maybe iPad (but my preaching outline is usually much longer than the points on the sides).

I rarely use the iPad for preaching opting for the laptop. I would also be interested in seeing how others use it in preaching. I have occasionally used Keynote but my 64GB iPad (3Gen) is a little slow in transitions and animations.

However, I use it frequently for teaching. I have used it three ways.

1. I will use Splashtop on my laptop and the Splashtop remote on my iPad. That way I can control the presentation on my laptop with my iPad while being able to see the presentation as well. I will say that we had some issues with it when we had a cobbled together wireless network. However, my son who works in IT suggested changing out our wireless access points with Ubiquiti UniFi AP Long Range (UAP-LR). Since that change our wireless is rock solid and works with a full signal over our whole building.

2. I use the Accordance app on my iPad for teaching textual classes. My main text is the NKJV with the parallel pane being the ESV Crossrefs. I long for the day when I can use my notes and the reference popup as they do in the modules done by Accordance.

3. I recommend anyone needing predesigned static maps consider Bible Maps Plus. <https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/bible-maps-plus/id669051292?mt=8> While I often use maps that I create in Accordance (especially the 3D ones) and static maps copied from modules like the Zondervan Bible Atlas via Keynote nevertheless the Bible Maps Plus are cheap, colorful and useful.

Thanks, Tony and Rick, great tips!

I can already see that we're going to hear about a lot of different methods. Very nice.

I preached with an iPad two Sundays ago filling in for my pastor who was out of town. Accordance went into the preparation of my message naturally (I couldn't imagine preparing a sermon without it), but I did not use Accordance directly in the message.

However, I did use my iPad and Keynote. I placed the Keynote slide deck on the iMac in the sound booth in the back of the auditorium, and I connected to it using the remote feature in Keynote on the iPad. Not only could I see the current slide on my iPad screen, but all my sermon notes as well. I was completely able to control the advance of the slides rather than depending someone in the sound booth to do that as our pastor does.

I've actually been using this method in the classroom for quite some time. In the classroom I connect my MacBook Pro to media center, which connects to the projector, but control Keynote from my iPad. This allows me to freely walk around the room with my notes in hand--it's actually quite freeing.

Previous to the current version of Keynote, I used Apple's old remote app. It was actually an iPhone app and I used it on my iPad blown up to 2x. It wasn't elegant to look at, but I had access to my notes and I could control the slides. The new remote is actually in the Keynote app itself. It's really well done and gives access to a faux laser pointer and drawing tools.

• Like 1

3. I recommend anyone needing predesigned static maps consider Bible Maps Plus. https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/bible-maps-plus/id669051292?mt=8> While I often use maps that I create in Accordance (especially the 3D ones) and static maps copied from modules like the Zondervan Bible Atlas via Keynote nevertheless the Bible Maps Plus are cheap, colorful and useful.

Tony, thanks for the recommend for Bible Maps Plus. I just downloaded it, and after looking at the free maps, promptly paid the $5.99 for all the maps and timelines. These will be quite handy, especially for the times I'm working directly from my iPad.

Previous to the current version of Keynote, I used Apple's old remote app. It was actually an iPhone app and I used it on my iPad blown up to 2x. It wasn't elegant to look at, but I had access to my notes and I could control the slides. The new remote is actually in the Keynote app itself. It's really well done and gives access to a faux laser pointer and drawing tools.

Rick, we each learn from one another. I did not know about the new remote feature in Keynote. This means I no longer need Splashtop. Thanks for the tip!

Being laity (although I have preached a few times in my life), I follow the lectionary readings along and do find myself occasionally loping things up during the sermon. In my congregation neither minister preaches from an electronic device. The last time I did preach I had my sermon on my Palm pilot. Although our younger minster Clara I think might consider using one.... I was talking with her on the benefits of accordance but not sure if she would be one who will uses second Bible software or not, since she is currently a L user....

-Dan

Looking forward to the podcast, Tim.

I use Accordance for almost every step of the sermon preparation process. For the sermon itself, though, I continue to use a print manuscript.

I did have a few map slides a number of sermons ago, where I ran some images (from Accordance) in Keynote on my iPad mini, which was connected to the projector. My iPhone was with me in the pulpit, to control the iPad. I had just gotten the iPhone and thought it would be pretty cool.

Unfortunately, while I had thoroughly tested the iPad to iPhone Keynote setup at home, I only tested the iPad to projector part in church beforehand, and not the iPhone to iPad. I hadn't set it all up right... so the projector operator did the slides manually from the iPad and projector. It turned out okay, but was not what I had planned.

So one thing to avoid in using in iPad in preaching (which includes but also goes beyond the Accordance app) is neglecting to do a full dry run of everything, even if you're sure it's going to work! This is conventional wisdom already (i.e., not novel), but it's conventional for a reason!

Hah!

Abram, I use an iPhone to iPad connection for teleprompting these podcasts. It has been an exercise in frustration!

I am already fascinated by the variety of techniques and apps mentioned here. I am thinking this podcast may take some unexpected directions.

• Like 1

I certainly wouldn't object if it became a multi-part episode....

• Like 1

I always use the iPad 2 for preaching and teaching Bible classes. For preaching, I use Accordance with Evernote: Accordance solely for the text and Evernote to view my PDF manuscript exported from Pages into my sermon folder in Evernote. A four-finger swipe moves the apps. If I am using multiple texts in a sermon I will enter them into Accordance beforehand, in the order I want, so I can use the arrows to quickly go them instead of having to use the menu.

For teaching Bible classes, my approach is even simpler: use Accordance on my iPad to display the text for the class through a projector and print my notes to teach. I REALLY LOVE displaying the text. It seems to engage more people by having them look up at the text. I can point to specific words and phrases for their attention and we are all looking at the same translation (ESV). My Sunday morning class has a ceiling mounted projector with an Apple TV that I use to connect wirelessly (though it dropped my connection twice this past Sunday...not sure why). On Wednesday nights I have a projector on a cart that connect to with a VGA adapter. This room will get a ceiling mounted projector with Apple TV this summer.

I'm still working the bugs out in all of this and look forward to hearing more from others. I appreciate the insights you guys have offered!

You are doing one of the things I want to mention again to our viewers: entering all the scriptures into Accordance's search field, in the order in which they will be addressed in the message. I think a lot of our folks just don't get that they can enter references out of order or even multiple times. Sure beats trying to find each verse on the fly!

Thanks for the input!

• Like 1

I too have preached from my iPad on a couple occasions. For myself, I simply turned my sermon outline (which includes all the verses I use in my sermon {copied as a citation form Accordance}) into a PDF in Dropbox. I then opened it up in Dropbox on the iPad and preached from it.

I have stopped using the iPad for several reasons:

1. My iPad is a 1st generation and can be finicky
  2. I felt that something was missing in the presentation not using a Bible at all (I preached only with the iPad)

In the future, if I can obtain the iPad Mini I desire, I might start preaching with it again using a Bible and the iPad Mini with the iPad Mini being used for the outline again.

I would eventually like to preach extemporaneously (without notes, an outline, or a manuscript). If I can do that I think having an iPad would be a huge benefit as I could use Accordance to look up passages on the fly.

Hope this all helps you Dr. J.

• Like 1

An iPad mini is small enough to fit inside most Bibles, too, so you could even use both at the same time. Good thoughts, revtim.

I had not thought about that.

Thanks!!

I have not used paper notes in over a year and a half. I will prepare my notes in in something like TextWrangler or Word, or whatever I use to make notes. I will then make sure I have a copy of those notes in text or html format, so I can then import it into my Sermons User Tool. Since Accordance naturally puts whatever you import into the User Tool at the end of the tool, I know exactly where the sermon is. Within the edit window, I may have to make a link to a Scripture that Accordance missed (which it rarely misses), and then add some formatting if I have not used HTML to import. At this point, Dropbox sync has made it a breeze to have the updated sermon moved to the iPad.

I then will use the scripture links from within the sermon text to move to my favorite Bible text, while then utilizing the arrow at the top left of the screen to move back to my sermon notes. To me, Accordance and Accordance iOS are the perfect preaching tools!

• Like 1

I felt that something was missing in the presentation not using a Bible at all (I preached only with the iPad)

In the future, if I can obtain the iPad Mini I desire, I might start preaching with it again using a Bible and the iPad Mini with the iPad Mini being used for the outline again.

I should clarify that when I teach or preach with an iPad, I always use a print Bible as well. I don't do it for myself but for those listening. Part of it's psychological. Some people, often those who are older, don't feel like their receiving Bible teaching unless there's a Bible in your hand. It doesn't matter that text illuminated on an LCD screen is every bit as much the Bible as ink on paper; the perception is often all that matters. In my classes, I'm often teaching New Testament Survey to students who have no background in church or the Bible. If I don't hold a printed Bible in my hand, they don't necessarily have any way to know for certain that I'm reading from the Bible.

However, I've not taught or preached from a paper manuscript in years. Before the iPad, I used my laptop.

I have exclusively used my ipad for preaching for about the last 3 years. I prefer to keep my sermon notes and Bible side by side in one app. I am eagerly waiting for Accordance to provide working hyperlinks in the notes for the ios app. This is the one and only thing that keeps me from using accordance as the app I preach from. Currently, I create my notes within a Bible app, and when I enter a Scripture reference into my note, it automatically creates a hyperlink. When I preach, my notes are displayed in a parallel pane with the Bible text. When I tap a Scripture reference in my notes, I get a pop-up window which contains the Scripture. It's a very simple and convenient process. I love the fact that it is all contained within a single app. Again, if I had this function in Accordance for ios (without having to create a user tool), it would become my go to app for preaching :)

Edited by PastorDavid

Thanks, everyone, these comments have been very helpful.

I agree with several of you who said that additional features on Accordance iOS would make preaching from it easier. Our iOS committee will take a look at these going forward.

• Like 1

FYI there are a fair number of cases that look like books for the iPad even found more than a few that say Holy Bible on them....

-Dan

[Chuckle] Yep. I use a knock off of a Twelfth South book cover. It does look like a leather-covered Bible. (chuckle)

I have a twelve south cover... you are probably wise to go with a knock off... Mine had to have it's plastic corners reinforced after breaking and elastic band needed to be sewn up to make the front camera usable as well as to keep the iPad from slipping out. I do know they have made many changes since mine was bought but I was less than impressed with mine... I did place a cross on mine but wasn't to hide it as a Bible just wanted it on my case.

-Dan

post-29263-0-29370300-1401737678_thumb.jpg

Nice!

I have a real Twelve South cover on my iPhone and have been very happy with it. I have had people mistake it for a pocket NT.

I have a twelve south cover... you are probably wise to go with a knock off... Mine had to have it's plastic corners reinforced after breaking and elastic band needed to be sewn up to make the front camera usable as well as to keep the iPad from slipping out. I do know they have made many changes since mine was bought but I was less than impressed with mine... I did place a cross on mine but wasn't to hide it as a Bible just wanted it on my case.

-Dan

http://www.accordancebible.com/forums/public/style_images/master/attachicon.gifmyBookBook.jpg

I had the original BookBook for iPad and loved it; no issues at all. They did make big improvements on the newer edition though. But, when I went to the iPad Mini I got the Apple smart case; I wanted something more slimline. I do miss my BookBook, and the comments I would get when carrying it. One server at a restaurant thought I was reading an ancient book (close!). :)

• Like 1