Understanding Hebrew Word Counts

Abram K-J

I'm reviewing a commentary right now that says the Hebrew text of Obadiah has "291 words," a figure which is based on Theological Lexicon of the Old Testament's statistics.

When I do an asterisk search in Obadiah to get its number for words in Accordance (using a Hebrew text), I see "388 hits," which then in the Analytics shows as "388 total words" (with 167 different forms).

I know that Accordance is counting prefixes separately, because the word list in Analytics includes prefixed prepositions and the article as separate "words":

post-31802-0-94469300-1402323416_thumb.png

I also know that Accordance is not counting suffixes, because they appear in black (as opposed to red, in which my hits appear) in my Obadiah text.

The count in TLOT is "based on the graphic units" in the Hebrew text ("words separated by spaces or maqqēp"). In other words, unlike Accordance, TLOT counts prefixed prepositions and the article together with the word they precede.

Two questions:

1. Is everything above correct?

2. Is there a way to get a word count in Accordance (say, Hebrew Obadiah) such that prefixed prepositions, etc. are not counted as separate words? I.e., to approximate the kind of criteria TLOT uses?

Either way, I think I would probably go with Accordance over TLOT on this way of counting "words" in Hebrew, although I would guess that what constitutes a Hebrew "word" has probably served as the content of some dissertation somewhere....

Try this. I get 302 words. The count might be a bit different if the lemmas are not specified as "Exact."

(=הַ, =בְּ, =וְ, =וְ־0, =לְ, =לְ־0=)- @*=

post-29215-0-63861500-1402325635_thumb.png

Edited by Timothy Jenney

Was geeking out for a minute, trying to find some articles on this topic. Nothing directly related, but I though you all might enjoy following up on some of these:

An HMM approach to vowel restoration in Arabic and Hebrew - http://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=1118641

The symmetry of the Hebrew bible - http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/00393389208600120?journalCode=sthe20

[this one looks interesting and might have some data that's worthwhile]

And as a bonus, has it really come to this?:

Wordplay in church marquees - http://www.degruyter.com/view/j/humr.2011.24.issue-2/humr.2011.012/humr.2011.012.xml

Edited by Graham Buck

"Our comparison of the puns found on church billboards versus those found in a general corpus of puns reveals significant differences in structure and content, suggesting that these puns represent a specific type of humor."

I want this "general corpus of puns" as an Accordance Tool. :)

Tim--thank you, and good idea. I'll try a similar search string.

Thanks, James--this is helpful.

So I think it's clear that Accordance includes (in its understanding of a Hebrew "word") prefixed prepositions, etc.

Is one understanding of what constitutes a Hebrew "word" more common than the other? (Perhaps there is already potential imprecision introduced when using the word "word.")

Nice search there, James--thanks again.

Agreed that it would be nice for Accordance to somehow let the researcher define "word," depending on what they are trying to do.

You know, guys, that sounds like a fantastic "Feature Request"… ;)

• Like 1

Two separate posts to the Request forum and you're well on your way to simplified research goodness.

Okay--I'll just link to this post and put in the request for user options to select how Hebrew words are counted.