Bible atlas advice

ukfraser

For many years I have been using a print version of the Holman bible atlas by Thomas Brisco (1998). I am looking for something to use on the iPad so What would be something comparable in the accordance range? Keep looking at the Zondervan or Carta, but not seeing print versions to view before I buy, I stick with what I know.

Thanks.

For what purpose(s) do you want an Atlas? How in-depth do you need?

Carta's Sacred Bridge is amazing, with a second edition coming soon via Accordance (I think Helen noted this on the forums recently). Zondervan in Accordance is also good, though more basic and less academic. I've not used any of Carta's other Bible atlases.

Abram's evaluation is spot-on. It all depends on your needs. For scholarly research I could not imagine not having Sacred Bridge but if you are looking for information that is easier to read, contains colorful maps, etc. you can't beat the Zondervan Atlas. I own both and use both (in addition to the others I got with the Carta Select Combo). If you are looking for just maps on just your iPad you may want to look at Bible Maps Plus <https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/bible-maps-plus/id669051292?mt=8>. They are cheap and work well in classes. The basic package is FREE. For just $5.99 you can get everything.

If you like your Holmon Atlas I would say you would be very happy with Zondervan and perhaps pick up the BIble Maps Plus to go with it.

• Like 1

Thanks, not sure scholarly fits, but often I get talking and as they say 'a picture is worth a thousand words', and I am principally looking for maps to help people visualise just what is being described. One of the churches I am involved with is urban priority/inner city and most of the congregation have probably travelled less than 50 miles and have no concept of how far people will have travelled or where they are reading about, though they can probably empathise with not having a car so walking!

When I bought the Holman, I spent a lot of time comparing the printed ones I could get my hands on and it seemed the best compromise then and Holman certainly meets my needs and haven't been thinking I want more, but it is at home when I need it!

;o)

Edited by ukfraser

Remember that with our own Atlas module you can create your own custom maps, measure distances, see animated routes and much more!

Thanks Helen, I hadn't forgot it and keep looking at the bundle with time line etc (I get easily confused) but I thought I had seen something about it not fully functioning on an iPad.

;o)

One other option that is good is IVP's New Bible Atlas, which I think is at a similar level to Zondervan's. This is included as part of the much larger set Essential IVP Reference Collection V.2 modules which is on sale for $99 till end of the day monday. This collection is very well worth owning for the number of great works you get even if you decide the Atlas isn't what you need, but it along with Sacred Bridge are what I use on my iPad. I will say i find NBA quicker to find things in.

-Dan

• Like 1

What is your opinion of the New Century Handbook and Atlas?

Thanks dan for pointing the offer out. Decisions, decisions!

What is your opinion of the New Century Handbook and Atlas?

I have never used it. But being a concise edition of the Sacred Bridge I would guess the quality will likely be very high (and the price looks good). The IVP collection is over 13 volumes of very good material and is hard to go wrong with either. I looked up the "New Century Handbook and Atlas" to see sample pages and it looks like a great abridgement. Sacred Bridge is top quality the issue i have with it and with the table of contents of NCHA. It is not overly user friendly for finding something quickly on the iPad where the NBA is roughly laid out in Biblical order to make locating a desired map relatively easy.

-Dan

BTW looking at the Table of Contents for the Zondervan Atlas of the Bible it looks like it would be easily to navigate where you are hoping to be... SB is easy to navigate in the main program because of the search options.

-Dan

Thanks dan, I have been to a number of publisher sites, been to amazon and downloaded sample kindle versions as well as looked inside a number of others (wouldn't that be nice on the accordance store) ;o) and found yet more reviews. I have finally decided on the Zondervan bible atlas, and initial impressions are it seems to meet my needs for something to carry with me on iOS but I certainly won't be getting rid of my Holman, and that will continue to be my go to when at home! ;o)

thanks to everyone who commented and gave advice. This really is a supportive forum!

Edited by ukfraser