Night Mode

Julia Falling

I have found that I really appreciate 'Night Mode' in iAcc, especially in the evenings and in church (less distracting to others). I also use the black background a lot in the Kindle app. It would be really nice to have a 'switch' to go into 'night mode' in Accordance-Mac. When lights are bright, I need a light background, but find the dark background easier on the eyes after the sun goes down.

Thanks.

Julia, I totally get what you're saying. The "Night Sky" theme has that black background, but other presets I can't abide [Accordance looks so much better with Baskerville as the font. I'm on a mission to change the world…]. If we could save multiple custom themes that might be a way to do this.

Another related idea is F.lux. Are you familiar? It automatically adjusts the color temperature of your screen depending on how much daylight there is [according to location data]. When the sun is up the color temp is normal. As the sun sets it gradually adjusts the temp to the ambient room color. It has several presets, but you can adjust to the nearest 100K value of your choosing. It's a brilliant app. Keeps me working well into the night without straining my eyes.

• Like 1

Another related idea is F.lux.

Awesome tip. Thanks for that.

F.lux is very nice. Only wish it were available for iOS devices too.

Graham, I was looking for something "legit," i,e., not requiring one to jailbreak the device. Thanks anyway.

A useful trick that might help for now is Ctrl+Option+Cmd+8, which inverts all colors. I've used it as a sort of "night mode" for lots of apps including Accordance. Not quite the same but perhaps you can use that in the meantime.

• Like 1

I've got F.lux installed and it helps. I've also installed an application called Tranquility, which inverts the colors using an icon in the menu bar – it's quite handy. While that is a good stop-gap, it has problems – it reverses everything. The icons on my desktop, not contrasting well with the desktop, get blacked out – things like my TimeMachine disk, etc. Obviously, I can still see everything and get to it with a Finder window, but an Accordance-specific night-mode would be a better fix. If it's not too difficult to do, it would be great. If it gets complicated and time consuming for our programmers, I think we'd all like them to be working on higher priority things (like Notes for Tools). Just alternate custom Appearance settings in the Prefs would be great.

I don't know if the situation will be better or worse after cataract surgery. I'll probably be finding out later this year.

Julia, I totally get what you're saying. The "Night Sky" theme has that black background, but other presets I can't abide [Accordance looks so much better with Baskerville as the font. I'm on a mission to change the world…]. If we could save multiple custom themes that might be a way to do this.

Baskerville, Buck? Nice looking font, but does not meet one of my criteria – the uppercase I, lower case l, and the number 1 must be distinguishable from one another. Additionally, I like a font to be relatively broad in relation to its height. And as nice-looking as the serifs are, I find them distracting. I use Verdana for almost everything. Is it as pleasing from an aesthetic standpoint? Probably not. Is it eminently readable? Yes!

I started with one of Accordance's custom themes (Spring Sky) and changed the font to Verdana and the Search Highlighting to red. Works well for me during the day, and during the early evening when F.lux kicks in. Not good past about 8PM, however.

Edited by Julie Falling