Linux support

smhr

Hi,

I purchased Accordance because it ran on Linux using Wine (Logos did not). It worked really well until version 10.4.3.

Starting from Accordance 10.4.3, I Accordance doesn't work anymore on Linux, I can't even start it.

I know that you are not officially supporting Accordance on Linux, but I wonder if you might consider that. You could work with Codeweavers to get Accordance running on Linux without Code changes from your side.

Thanks

Samuel

PS: If there are any other Linux users that would love to see Linux support for Accordance, please raise your voice here :)

• Like 4

Hi Sam, not a linux user (except for MythTV) but you can downgrade to 10.4.2 by redownloading it and reinstalling. Bit of a pain I know...not your idea; solution.

I am not involved in software coding, direction or planning so I can't comment on the request really.

You can download 10.4.2 (Windows) here

Edited by Ken Simpson

+1!

I just upgraded to version 10 because the demo version works under wine 1.7. I was running version 9 under the emulator. Thanks for the tip on using 10.4.2. I can confirm that this works, but 10.4.3 doesn't.

BTW, Samual, what version of wine are you using? I'm using 1.7.15 under Debian amd64. I couldn't get it to work with the stable 1.6 packages.

Edited by David Purton

Hi David,

I also used the 1.7 series, with 1.6 some things didn't work for me.

Currently I'm using Crossover which has also the latest wine (1.7.x) internally.

Hi Sam, not a linux user (except for MythTV) but you can downgrade to 10.4.2 by redownloading it and reinstalling. Bit of a pain I know...not your idea; solution.

I am not involved in software coding, direction or planning so I can't comment on the request really.

You can download 10.4.2 (Windows) here

The link points to 10.4.3.

But anyway, thanks for the tip.

Oops - sorry! Forgot to edit it. Dan has it right.

• 3 months later...

Why not just ask them to port Accordance to Linux?

Edited by salamanderrake

• 2 months later...

Anyone find out why Accordance 11 dose not work with wine, and if they will start supporting wine since they will not port it to linux?

It could be a simple thing... it might be something deep down in the heart of the program... I honestly do not know. Accordance never officially supported wine but there were several users devoted to seeing if they could get it working. I would guess that Accordance would be happy to have it running in WINE but I am not sure if the staff is there too do it. I dare say that Android seems to me to be a more logical step than LINUX next... That said WINE based LINUX may be a far easier goal than Android since it might just be a couple of bugs to swat. I realize that I have offered you virtually nothing useful, but wanted to let you know someone is listening even if I can do nothing to help...

God bless and have a wonderful Christmas.

-Dan

Usually its either a missing lib(wine/windows side) or some setting, but I can get no message as to why they won't run, its also compounded that I don't have a licensee yet. was hoping that some pioneers had fond out what was missing/broke, and it seems that it started in 10.4.3 since the 10.4.3 downgrade download installs and runs while the 10.4.3 does not. Maybe the devs can tell us what they changed between those versions that broke the wine installed version.

Edited by salamanderrake

I don't see Accordance officially porting to Linux. If the community can continue to test and send feedback to keep it singing on Crossover, then that's handy. Accordance has a pretty small staff, and the resources it'd take to do a full Linux port probably wouldn't justify it.

• Like 2

I think Nathan is right. And most of us are more interested in new resources and features than in Linux.

Mmh

Is not Mac OS X and Linux based on Unix? So it would not to be a brand new version.

• Like 1

Mmh

Is not Mac OS X and Linux based on Unix? So it would not to be a brand new version.

Thats actually correct but one, and only really one problem, is the gui. Thats why I mention Qt in other threads because it can run on both Windows, Mac, and Linux. The only other thing they would need to do is spend time on the port. I would be better if they started this for Accordance 12, or start internally on 11, if they decide to go the Qt route. The real issue is time and effor, since the base of a linux port is already started with the mac port.

Accordance has a pretty small staff, and the resources it'd take to do a full Linux port probably wouldn't justify it.

I'm not certain any Bible software company is large enough to port to Linux. Bible software is already a niche market, and Bible software on Linux is a very tiny niche of the niche. It would just about have to be a community endeavor.

Personally, I'd like to see it done by the users. I've wanted for a while to get an inexpensive laptop to use as a Linux machine. If we ever got a setup that was fairly stable, I imagine we could link to it, but without giving it official support.

http://www.cleverbibel.de/faq/under Was sind die Systemvoraussetzungen von CLeVer?

Windows XP/Vista/7/8

Mac OS X ab 10.5 (nur Intel)
Linux: getestet unter Ubuntu, Debian, openSuse

So I know two brothers are the full staff.

I have this Software only because they have german contents which I still missing in Accordance.

Edited by Fabian

Has anyone actually tried Acc 11 on Wine ? I see here the OP was that 10.4.3 broke in July. But I haven't seen any posts about 11 behaviour.

There were a couple of posts of people doing some serious exploration of getting this going in the 10.x timeframe. I don't know if any of that would help here.

I've only played with this on 10 and not with a dual boot setup but with Mint over VBox.

Mind you I have a 1TB SSD now and could partition for a Linux second boot. Hmmm....

Thx

D

I'm not certain any Bible software company is large enough to port to Linux. Bible software is already a niche market, and Bible software on Linux is a very tiny niche of the niche. It would just about have to be a community endeavor.

Personally, I'd like to see it done by the users. I've wanted for a while to get an inexpensive laptop to use as a Linux machine. If we ever got a setup that was fairly stable, I imagine we could link to it, but without giving it official support.

If you try any distro first, try opensuse, its got a nice feel to it and most, if not all, of its system settings can be set in a gui. Second how can the community work on this, or do you mean the wine side? If its wine your talking about that is what I am asking.

Has anyone actually tried Acc 11 on Wine ? I see here the OP was that 10.4.3 broke in July. But I haven't seen any posts about 11 behaviour.

There were a couple of posts of people doing some serious exploration of getting this going in the 10.x timeframe. I don't know if any of that would help here.

I've only played with this on 10 and not with a dual boot setup but with Mint over VBox.

Mind you I have a 1TB SSD now and could partition for a Linux second boot. Hmmm....

Thx

D

Acc 10.4.2 runs, but I cant test more then just install and running and asking for my credentials, 10.4.3 and 11 do not, they won't even start up in wine and I was hoping someone was able to find out what was stopping it from running. I plan on getting the mounce study bundle, http://www.accordancebible.com/store/details/?pid=Mounce+Bundle-10_13and if I can get on a payment plan I would get more, like some of the others with an esv bible. And when I get it I can just install the downgrade that I got from the forums.

Edited by salamanderrake

...or do you mean the wine side? If its wine your talking about that is what I am asking.

That's what I meant.

Speaking of letting the community supporting it linux/wine side, what was changed between 10.4.2 and 10.4.3 that could break it? and will there be a 11 demo in the future, would help with getting it running under wine.

EDIT** by what is changed I mean the dependencies. not anything code wise.

Edited by salamanderrake

Speaking of letting the community supporting it linux/wine side, what was changed between 10.4.2 and 10.4.3 that could break it? and will there be a 11 demo in the future, would help with getting it running under wine.

EDIT** by what is changed I mean the dependencies. not anything code wise.

I'm not certain what would break it, but a feature list between 10.4.2 and 10.4.3 can be viewed here:

http://www.accordancebible.com/New-Since-10/

There will be a v. 11 demo made available soon.

I'm not certain what would break it, but a feature list between 10.4.2 and 10.4.3 can be viewed here:

http://www.accordancebible.com/New-Since-10/

There will be a v. 11 demo made available soon.

I was looking more for what Accordence linked to when built, or its list of deps, like which version of Dot Net and/or which version of vcrun I would need to install.

EDIT** Aka what it needs installed inorder to run on a windows system.

Edited by salamanderrake

I don't know who to send this to, but this seems like the error, which is app related.

0009:Call advapi32.RegCreateKeyExW(80000001,00a145b0 L"Software\\Classes\\accord\\shell",00000000,00000000,00000000,000f003f,00000000,01affc90,00000000) ret=0043ce5d
0009:Ret  advapi32.RegCreateKeyExW() retval=00000000 ret=0043ce5d
0009:Call advapi32.RegSetValueExW(000000a8,00000000,00000000,00000001,00000000,00000004) ret=0043ce81
0009:trace:seh:raise_exception code=c0000005 flags=0 addr=0x7eb34776 ip=7eb34776 tid=0009
0009:trace:seh:raise_exception  info[0]=00000000
0009:trace:seh:raise_exception  info[1]=00000002
0009:trace:seh:raise_exception  eax=80000001 ebx=7eb6f000 ecx=00000004 edx=00000018 esi=00000000 edi=000000a8
0009:trace:seh:raise_exception  ebp=01affc18 esp=01affba0 cs=0023 ds=002b es=002b fs=0063 gs=006b flags=00210a92
0009:trace:seh:call_stack_handlers calling handler at 0x7bc98420 code=c0000005 flags=0
0009:Call KERNEL32.UnhandledExceptionFilter(01aff6f8) ret=7bc98465
0009:Call KERNEL32.ReadProcessMemory(ffffffff,7eb34776,01aff600,00000010,00000000) ret=00413181
0009:Ret  KERNEL32.ReadProcessMemory() retval=00000001 ret=00413181
0009:Ret  KERNEL32.UnhandledExceptionFilter() retval=ffffffff ret=7bc98465
0009:trace:seh:call_stack_handlers handler at 0x7bc98420 returned 0

In refrence

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ms724923%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

I found out all this thanks to focht in #winehq on irc.freenode.net

<focht> well it seems the app is bugged ... calls RegSetValueEx with NULL lpData but non-zero cbData

EDIT** This is with Accordance 11 from the download page. Accordance11.0.3.exe

EDIT** This is also with wine 1.7.33

Edited by salamanderrake