Linux support

smhr

I bought The starter kit and mounce study bundle and I can only download the mounce study bundle because the other one needs Accordance 11, is there any way to seperate the Accordance 11 only modules from the others so I can download them in parts?

Interesting crash trace. Looks like the size parameter cbData is taken as indicating that there is data. It is in fairness documented as such, but the 11.0.3 code works on Windows. I checked and I have the key that I see in the create, HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\accord\shell and it's value is empty. So I wonder if the Windows implementation actually doesn't quite follow its own documentation if indeed this is the fault. Wine (1.7.33 code) does not appear to check the pointer and relies on the cbData value. I haven't found exactly where it blows up but it forms up a server request on the basis of the cbData value, so that sounds like a core dump coming as the lpData value is not checked in code I looked at. Of course one might be able to workaround the issue by patching Wine to violate the MS defined API contract in this case. Bit of a nasty thing to do and I wouldn't recommend it generally, but it might provide a hack w/a, though I don't know what the side-affects might be.

In any case, a quick check of the Accordance code manipulating this key would determine whether they have a fault. Of course Wine isn't Windows and the issue could easily be different/more complicated than this.

Regarding the immediate issue of the download I'm not exactly sure. I'm assuming you are talking about the 10.4 Easy Install. In that case I think options for selecting what to install were more limited but hopefully someone else can state it more definitively one way or the other.

Thx

D

<slackner> salamanderrake: the correct solution is to write a wine test, to figure out if windows crashes in such a situation - if it doesn't, then wine can add such a pointer check into the crashing function
<slackner> salamanderrake: wine doesn't want to achieve compatibility with the MSDN description, but with the Windows implementation itself - so its perfectly fine if there are differences (as long as they are confirmed by tests)

So they will take a look at it and if the tests they make works out then the 'fix' can be added to wine. Also I filed a bug report with winehq, https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=37810

Ok so if that is their approach then the hack above should be possible and it's of advantage to running Accordance on Wine. The testcase should be very simple.

Thx

D

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so if that is their approach then the hack above should be possible and it's of advantage to running Accordance on Wine. The testcase should be very simple.

Thx

D

With the latest wine 1.7.34 it now starts Accordance 11 and you can sign in and download the modules(Thanks to the wine devs) , and if your like me and bought Accordance 11 you can install and download the modules for 11 then dowgrade to 10.4.5(yes 10.4.5 now runs and installs, but none of the 11.* features) and you can use your modules for 11. The main problem is they can only go as far as the 'needing an accordance program subscription( for lack of a better word )' so they don't see the crash I do(or some sort of focus/graphics fail). Is there an eta on the Accordance11 demo or some sort of dummy account to give a way to run the app (I know, dumb question but can't think of anything else). Right now I am just glad to be able to use all the modules from the Accordance 11 starter kit, I just don't like the hacky way to use it.

Comments from the wine dev regarding the initial crash.

Hello folks,

installs fine and shows some 'Setup Assistant' dialog which expects some login data.
I made some account with fake data and indeed it validates the credentials over SSL (giving wrong credentials results in error).
In the end it refuses to go further, stating "Accordance 11 not found in your account" so it's not reproducible.

--- quote ---
I had to install wininet and secru32 via winetricks to get it past a certain part,
--- quote ---

Don't do that. It makes the bug report potentially invalid since no one knows what "certain stage" means without detailed technical explanation or some other Wine bug reference (which would probably be a dupe anyway).

The crash from the provided log:

--- snip ---
0009:Call advapi32.RegCreateKeyExW(80000001,00a145b0 L"Software\\Classes\\accord\\shell",00000000,00000000,00000000,000f003f,00000000,01affc90,00000000) ret=0043ce5d
0009:Ret  advapi32.RegCreateKeyExW() retval=00000000 ret=0043ce5d
0009:Call advapi32.RegSetValueExW(000000a8,00000000,00000000,00000001,00000000,00000004) ret=0043ce81
0009:trace:seh:raise_exception code=c0000005 flags=0 addr=0x7eb34776 ip=7eb34776 tid=0009
0009:trace:seh:raise_exception  info[0]=00000000
0009:trace:seh:raise_exception  info[1]=00000002
0009:trace:seh:raise_exception  eax=80000001 ebx=7eb6f000 ecx=00000004 edx=00000018 esi=00000000 edi=000000a8
0009:trace:seh:raise_exception  ebp=01affc18 esp=01affba0 cs=0023 ds=002b es=002b fs=0063 gs=006b flags=00210a92
0009:trace:seh:call_stack_handlers calling handler at 0x7bc98420 code=c0000005 flags=0 
--- snip ---

The app calls 'RegSetValueEx' with NULL 'lpData' but non-zero 'cbData'

MSDN: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ms724923%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

--- quote ---
lpData [in]

The data to be stored.

For string-based types, such as REG_SZ, the string must be null-terminated. With the REG_MULTI_SZ data type, the string must be terminated with two null characters. String-literal values must be formatted using a backslash preceded by another backslash as an escape character. For example, specify "C:\\mydir\\myfile" to store the string "C:\mydir\myfile".

Note  lpData indicating a null value is valid, however, if this is the case, cbData must be set to '0'.
--- quote ---

The bug was fixed here: http://source.winehq.org/git/wine.git/commit/ff0ee8f8a8faf35d148f00e4de2671feee051be (included in Wine 1.7.34).

Now you are continuing with something completely different (whatever it means, the info in the comment is not useful).

Don't do that. ONE problem per bug.

$ sha1sum Accordance11.0.3.exe 
3543428d45ae9258b14501cbfcbd83f4944896a6  Accordance11.0.3.exe

$ du -sh Accordance11.0.3.exe 
59M	Accordance11.0.3.exe

$ wine --version
wine-1.7.34

Regards

Nice one. What OS and version are you using ? I think you had mentioned openSuse in the past.

Thx

D

Posted 09 January 2015 - 02:33 PM

I found the problem on XP. You are right. Acc 11 just quits after initial startup of the main app. This problem is different than the Linux problem which I found as well.

Both are going to be fixed in the next build. Thank you for reporting.

From the Topic http://www.accordancebible.com/forums/topic/15011-acc-wont-install-in-xp/

Greetings

Fabian

• Like 1

Here is the wine bug report relating to the second issues, the invisible window. https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=37876its not necessarily an issue on your end it may be wine handling it wrong, but here is the info anyway.

The Wine developers (namely Dmitry Timoshkov ) have a patch that seems to work, the window (accordance main app window) starts up visible and not invisible anymore. I don't know if the patch is in its final form and waiting for insertion into the next release of wine or if there may be some regression they need to work out with first. If your are apt at building wine, not for the light of heart, you can apply the patch to wine and compile it your self. If you have any issues with the patch please post them on the bug report page(the wine side of issues are what I mean) and feel free just to pop over there and thank them for their work while your at it. I would paste the patch here but there may be updates to it or a new patch so its better to get it from the bug report page.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

New wine version 1.7.35 has fixes for Accordance 11 startup, 37810 Accordance 11 crashes on startup., but dose not have the invisible window fix in it yet.

Edited by salamanderrake

• 3 months later...

Hi to all!

Are there any news or solutions on Accordance 11 using the latest wine version? My screen tells about advapi32 problems.

I want to avoid a virtualmachine..

Very nice forum, greetings, Markus

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi to all!

Are there any news or solutions on Accordance 11 using the latest wine version? My screen tells about advapi32 problems.

I want to avoid a virtualmachine..

Very nice forum, greetings, Markus

I had another try with the latest Accordance11.0.6.exe

and wine 1.7.38. The download process was no problem.

wine Accordance.exe:

p11-kit: couldn't load module: /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/pkcs11/p11-kit-trust.so: /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/pkcs11/p11-kit-trust.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64

fixme:atl:AtlAxWinInit version 0300 semi-stub

fixme:ver:GetCurrentPackageId (0x3f5e9c8 (nil)): stub

fixme:heap:RtlCompactHeap (0x1e40000, 0x0) stub

fixme:ole:RemUnknown_QueryInterface No interface for iid {00000019-0000-0000-c000-000000000046}

Are there any ideas?

I am looking forward to running Accordance 11 with wine...

Greetings, Markus

I wish you best of luck... it;s not officially supported but I do hope one day you can get back to using the latest version of Accordance....

-Dan

Looks like a 32 64 bit incompatibility in the Linux libs that are being loaded.

My first guess would be that p11-kit is 32 bit trying to load a 64 library which won't work.

This has nothing to do with Accordance and quite possibly not wine. If the theory is correct and it should be checked first, then you need to find a 32 library for the pkcs stuff on your box and get that to be used. The usual first trick there would be tweaking the LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

This is all somewhat speculative without knowledge of the libs and your env, but the loader is definitely not happy loading a 64 bit lib,

Thx

D

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Accordance 11.0.6 is running with WINE!! Thank you so much for the hints. With a patched WINE 1.7.44 (compiled in a chroot environment) Accordance now runs fast and stable. Please contact me if you need detailed informations.

Is it possible to upload the .deb package for interested users?

• Like 3

Awesome! I would think you could zip the instructions and .deb package and put it on the Accordance Exchange.

• Like 3

I would LOVE to host this file! Please send me the instructions.  :D  :D  :D

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi folks!

I am one of the contributing developers for Xiphos, which is a piece of Bible software that runs on Linux. I can say that there is bigger demand for Bible software on Linux than one might think. Other than Xiphos, there is also BibleTime and BibleAnalyser.

Having bought Accordance for Mac, I would love to have Accordance for Linux too. :) But I hate using WINE, so if you could consider it, I would greatly appreciate it if you do port to Linux.

The biggest problem would be having a replacement toolkit for Cocoa. There is GNUStep, but that is not that great. However, if you are using Cocoa on Windows already, then there would most likely not be much work required to get Accordance running on Linux.

I am a developer who would love to see Accordance on Linux.

REFS:

http://www.cocotron.org

http://wiki.gnustep.org/index.php/Cross_Compiling

http://www.cocoawithlove.com/2010/04/options-for-porting-objective-ccocoa.html

http://lacquer.fi/pauli/blog/2012/02/win-win-with-cocotron-part-1/

http://lacquer.fi/pauli/blog/2012/09/win-win-with-cocotron-part-2/

Christopher

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I'd love to see a linux version of accordance. Thanks to everyone promoting this request!

The WINE compatibility might be as far as it ever goes, I hope WINE compatibility remains for LINUX users but this is not the ultimate goal of the windows programers, although it might be nice if they kept it in the back of their mind while testing.

-Dan

• 3 weeks later...

Followers of this thread might be interested to know the the patch mentioned in this thread is incorporated into wine-staging which is easy to install alongside (or instead of) other versions of wine. See https://github.com/wine-compholio/wine-staging/wiki/Installation

It's easy to install on most distros and doesn't require patching and compiling source. I haven't upgraded to Accordance 11 yet, but it seems to run the demo fine.

Edited by David Purton
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Accordance 11.0.6 is running with WINE!! Thank you so much for the hints. With a patched WINE 1.7.44 (compiled in a chroot environment) Accordance now runs fast and stable. Please contact me if you need detailed informations.

Is it possible to upload the .deb package for interested users?

Hi,

I'm new to Linux, but I'd really like to run Acc in Ubuntu 14.04.

I copied and extracted the .deb file, typed ls, and got this:

wine_1.7.44-1_i386_patched_accordance.deb

wine_1.7.44-1_i386_patched_accordance.deb.zip

When I try to install the package with

sudo dpkg -i wine_1.7.44-1_i386_patched_accordance.deb

I get this:

. . . /Accordance$ sudo dpkg -i wine_1.7.44-1_i386_patched_accordance.deb

dpkg-split: error: error reading wine_1.7.44-1_i386_patched_accordance.deb: Is a directory

dpkg: error processing archive wine_1.7.44-1_i386_patched_accordance.deb (--install):

subprocess dpkg-split returned error exit status 2

Errors were encountered while processing:

wine_1.7.44-1_i386_patched_accordance.deb

michel@laptoppc:~/Documents/Programs/Accordance$

Any suggestions?

I also think we need a Linux Wisdom section. :)

Regards,

Michel