NICOT/NICNT big sale: Shall we?

Serpentium

Following the previous post "

WBC for $299.00: Do it if you can"

linked at http://www.accordancebible.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=13122&hl=

I'm curious if also the new NICOT/NICNT can go under the YOU SHOULD IF YOU COULD.

Any review on the commentary?

Comparison with the Tyndale, WBC and Holman?

I'm a happy bunny coz I've been after WBC for years (even bidding on eBay for the cd) but best commentaries seems to be the reference most people use. http://bestcommentaries.com/genesis/. And this is also a set highly recommended, and there are some good articles and reviews on the accordance and other sites

http://www.accordancebible.com/Articles/New-International-Commentary-Series/

Happy decision making!

;o)

This is the sale for which I have been waiting YEA! A great price! No one should say that Accordance isn't competitive.

My biggest problem is that I also recently purchased WBC and Butler. I guess you can say I am "Accordance poor."

Yep, a very expensive forum!!!!! I bought EBC as I thought I'd never get WBC. But hey, what else is money for! (Apart from nice lenses)

And the more we buy, the more stable the future of our marvellous accordance team and they may be able to employ more so more works can get converted and even more people get accordance.

Win, win!

;o)

• Like 3

I have several of the NICNT/NICOT volumes in print and they are all superb. I, like Tony have been waiting for this sale. It is still pricey but I am good at finding ways to justify additions to my library :-). Another way of analyzing the "bestcommentaries.com" review is that 37 of the NICOT/NICNT volumes are in the #1-#3 position. I can tell you that you will used them regularly... I certainly do.

I think I paid $20 more last January from OT... I definitely do not use it as much as I use WBC, but it is a very solid set at a bargain price.

-Dan

I preached early in 2014 through Matthew 2-7, and I don't think a week went by when I didn't consult R.T. France's excellent NICNT Matthew commentary in Accordance. Same thing when I preached through Isaiah last Advent--the NICOT 2-volume set for that book was a constant companion. When I preach through parts of Genesis this fall, the same will be true of that volume. I've also gotten to use Waltke's 2-volume masterpiece on Proverbs, which--as you can imagine--is superb.

Compared to WBC, this is more money for less volumes. But I think it's generally a more evenly high-quality series than WBC (although WBC is not without its standouts and strengths).

Well, y'all can justify your expenditures with more ease than can I. I don't preach and never will preach. I'm a Bible student and sometimes teacher. I'm old. That said, I think my commentary collection is a bit thin in two NT books: WBC is missing Acts & 1Corinthians. Both books are covered in Pillar but those volumes are pretty far down on the Best Commentaries list. Additionally, one can't really get too much of Romans. I'm seriously considering buying just those three volumes in NICNT. I can afford those at 30% off, and all three are in the #1 spot. Now for a couple of questions – have any of you spent some time in those volumes? How technical? While I don't claim to be a scholar, my Greek is solid and I've been able to follow & evaluate technical arguments in WBC-NT, EBC Notes, etc.. I prefer more technical rather than less (I've got lots of less technical stuff).

I can speak to Moo's Romans. His Greek is solid, but it's largely in the footnotes. So the commentary proper feels a little more semi-technical than technical, but you do get the technical throughout the footnotes.

Works for me. I didn't mind going to the Notes in the EBC original. Thanks, Abram.

WBC is missing Acts & 1Corinthians. Both books are covered in Pillar but those volumes are pretty far down on the Best Commentaries list.

Hi Julie, that may be true, but I think Peterson (Acts) and 1 Corinthians (Rosner and Ciampa) are very good. (And it has nothing to do with Rosner and Peterson being Aussie!).

Plus, Pillar is worth it for Carson on John (excellent as Don nearly always is) and O'Brien on Ephesians and Hebrews (both simply superb) alone. Love those three volumes.

Hi Julie, that may be true, but I think Peterson (Acts) and 1 Corinthians (Rosner and Ciampa) are very good. (And it has nothing to do with Rosner and Peterson being Aussie!).

Plus, Pillar is worth it for Carson on John (excellent as Don nearly always is) and O'Brien on Ephesians and Hebrews (both simply superb) alone. Love those three volumes.

Agreed

For what my opinion is worth WBC is more technical and if I was still writing a lot of papers it would be my go to (with NIGTC which is also one sale ;) ) but for preaching NICOT/NT is my favourite set. Even over preaching oriented sets like NIVAC.

Thanks, guys. Very helpful input. I need to commit this to prayer and decide whether the dollars should be spent. I already have WBC-NT (worth every penny) and Pillar (no regrets there, either). I have enough to keep me very busy. And there's always the local Christian college. You all preach & teach, and most of you are relatively young and will get decades of use out of your resources.

And, Lord willing, you'll get decades of use out of yours as well. :D

• Like 3

Well, Graham, I plan to spend however many years the Lord may grant me by continuing to study and to pass along to others what I learn. Thank you.

• Like 3