user notes eaten - now Accordance won't start

Douglas Fyfe

Hi there

using 10.4.3.2 (last updated 18/7/14) on Windows 8.1 on Samsung ultrabook.

So all my notes got eaten - dropbox was syncing lots while it happened, and only my last few notes were visible.

I could scroll through where the other notes were - the location bar scrolled through as i scrolled the text - but nothing was visible. I tried copying and pasting the blankness into word but there was truly nothing there -just space.

i checked on my phone and despite syncing every few minutes, no notes i'd taken on a pc were there, including the most recent ones - the ones that still worked.

So i tried to restart, and now Accordance won't open at all - eek!

I cannot answer issues of the syncing and the user notes, but I suggest you remove the Startup session from User Preferences: C:\Users\[user name]\AppData\Local\Accordance\Accordance Preferences.

On the PC your user files are in Accordance files: C:\Users\[user name]\My Documents\Accordance Files.

Also Dropbox keeps earlier versions of synced files so you may find something there.

Thanks Helen

Can you tell me which of these is the startup session post-16381-0-07213900-1406177709_thumb.png I should delete?

There isn't one, so try renaming or deleting the General file which may be corrupt. You won't lose mush in the way of settings but you will need to register the copy again.

Have done that.

Now it's freezing on Accordance Registration.

It has no problem validating the account, but as soon as I hit continue (or skip if I leave it out) it freezes and windows shuts it down.

Any more suggestions?

Get a Mac ;)

Seriously, you will have to work with tech support. That's hard from Australia. I'll see what I can find out.

• Like 1

Hi Doug,

We are in Eastern time in Florida here. It's 11:00 a.m. right now. We are 13 hours behind you there. The best bet will be to make sure that you have your Accordance Files folder backed up somewhere on a flash or external drive in addition to Dropbox just to be safe. If you can download Teamviewer from www.teamviewer.com and send us your User ID and password and then make sure that your Power Options in Control Panel have your computer sleep to 'Never' (for now) and leave your computer on, we can get on your computer and try to correct this issue for you while you sleep. You can send your User ID and password to support@accordancebible.com. Thanks,

Billy

Thanks Billy - mail sent.

This US / Aus thing makes it quite tricky!

Don't say that Helen! You should be thankful I'm putting it through its paces ;)

Thanks again all.

Hi Doug,

Your Accordance is back up and running. I left a note on your desktop with further instructions (if needed).

If there is anything else that we can help with, please let us know.

Thanks,

Billy

Well done Billy. What was the issue? Can you describe in a nutshell? Thanks

Actually, we are still trying to determine and recreate the cause. Doug was experiencing Windows Dropbox issues that may have been caused by corrupted user files. We will be testing on this today to try to learn more about what happened. Thanks.

• 3 months later...

Looks like I've just had a similar problem.

I'm running Acc 10.4.3.2 and OSX 10.6.8 on a core2duo Mac air 2.13

A dialogue box came up telling me I needed to close any editable windows for the dropbox sync to continue.

Well I closed the one I was working on but didn't close all the windows-I think that was a mistake.

The program crashed.

I reopened it with some difficulty, then it tells me my user notes file called 'text notes' cannot be accessed, then it tells me it has deleted it from dropbox. My other user notes file is fine. (At this point I'm getting worried)

I read above Helen saying dropbox saves deleted files (thank you dropbox(and thank you Helen)) so I download my text notes file and put it back in the dropbox file but accordance is not recognising it even after a reboot of the program.

I tried to reimport it to my library but while the program sees it in the folder it is greyed out.

I also note that my library\application support\accordance\modules\shared user notes folder is empty. I presume that's because using dropbox the program reads from dropbox.

Can you tell me what to do to get the program reading the text notes file again?

(I also note the program is not opening some of my workspaces , i'm presuming that's because they include my user notes file)

thanks in advance

Ray Robinson

Can you tell me what to do to get the program reading the text notes file again?

Further to my above post I now find that when I try and highlight a word a dialogue box comes up saying 'My highlights19.hlt has moved or been deleted'

The highlight file 'my highlights.hlt' is still in the dropbox folder and a highlight file 'my highlights' is also in ~\documents\Accordance files\highlights

but I note the change of name so I'm worried that also is corrupted.

Is there any chance of saving my highlight file as well as my text notes?

thanks.

Edited by rayr

Well not sure if I'm making progress or not but used the accordance file type fixer on the restored user notes file and put it in ~\documents\Accordance files\user notes and accordance sees it when I try and try and install it as a module but it still doesn't open. (It also keeps complaining it can't find the old file)

Tried deleting the dropbox files in case there was some conflict and switching off dropbox sync but that didn't help.

Also tried deleting the user notes pref file to no avail.

???

one more thing; a look inside the user note file with text edit seems to indicate only half the user notes are there. sigh...

(I do have my user notes file less recent additions, still on my phone so hope springs eternal.)

Edited by rayr

Hi Ray,

I have sent you an email with information on how we can get together to get this issue figured out.

Teamviewer would be a very useful tool to help us with this. You can download it from www.teamviewer.com (it's fast and free). You can call us in support at 407-339-0266, email us at support@accordancebible.com or Skype us at oaktreesupport.

We look forward to hearing from you.

Best wishes,

Billy

Billy thanks for your help today.

Just for those who might be trolling these forums looking for answers basically I solved my user notes problem by restoring a time machine backup of the file. Lost a few notes but only a few days worth.

Always worth having good backups.

The highlights problem was totally unrelated and was solved by resetting the permissions on the file.

So I'm now a happy camper.