Anthony Pyles

I know it was mentioned in the course of this thread, but I don't know of a topic in the Feature/Module request forum, so here goes…

I'd love to see the missing volumes in Word Biblical Commentary in Accordance! I know there are difficulties with the rights transitioning to Zondervan, a new revised edition of Joshua coming late this year, the last Job volume not in an e-edition, yet, etc.

On the other hand, the revised Psalms 1–50 volume is a decade old (and has some very helpful "catch-up" material from Tate), and the volume on Judges is only two years younger. Surely there are electronic versions of these out there somewhere?

I was quite happy to pick up the set in the recent sale knowing that some volumes would only come along later, and likely at an update price. But please know that they are eagerly anticipated when they come!

Thanks for your work,

Tony

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Any chance of an update on this? I'm teaching Psalms next semester and would love to have the updated Pss 1–50 volume. Thanks!

We are actively working on these and other titles from Thomas Nelson / HCCP.

• Like 1

Great news!

New volumes such as 2 Cor Revised won't initially be offered for individual purchase, right? Will buying the full OT or NT set be the minimum requirement if wanting to get some volumes quickly? I don't have any of the volumes in any Bible Study software (nor any print volumes).

• 1 month later...

I notice that Acts is missing from the WBC NT set. Will this and other missing volumes be added soon? Got a shock when I went to the commentary to do some work on Acts and found it wasn't there.

I notice that Acts is missing from the WBC NT set. Will this and other missing volumes be added soon? Got a shock when I went to the commentary to do some work on Acts and found it wasn't there.

Actually, the Acts volume(s) have not yet been published. The author is also an Accordance user. :)

Edited by Rick Bennett

Might explain the price. Books retrieved via time-travel appreciate in value exponentially!

• Like 3

Before replying I double-checked to make sure I had the most recent information, and also noticed that Amazon listing. I am not sure what that is. But, it is definitely not a legitimate copy of the Acts volume, and should not be used to gauge whether it is complete.

I have no idea how close to complete Acts may be but I do know it is not yet released. Nice to know the Author is an Accordance user but unless he chooses to pipe up we will just have to be satisfied with not yet available... I remember someone in another user forum stated he was close friends with the author and acts was over half done.. that was a couple years ago.

-Dan

I have no idea how close to complete Acts may be but I do know it is not yet released. Nice to know the Author is an Accordance user but unless he chooses to pipe up we will just have to be satisfied with not yet available... I remember someone in another user forum stated he was close friends with the author and acts was over half done.. that was a couple years ago.

-Dan

Well, I met him 8 years ago at Tyndale House when I was there and he was working on it then, too. ;)

• Like 1

Oh well. Craig Keener's commentary on Acts (3 volumes) is complete and available as an etext in some applications. Maybe Accordance can offer that. 

I once had a parishioner who took forever to complete a commentary on Mark. His publisher finally rescinded his contract for non-performance.

I just checked on Keener's commentary. My information is that volume three won't be released until Fall 2015.

I have volume 3 on my Kindle right now.

Oooo, thank you SO much! I'd love to see this work in Accordance.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We are actively working on these and other titles from Thomas Nelson / HCCP.

I know it's only been a month and a half, but…any news? Thanks.

I know it's only been a month and a half, but…any news? Thanks.

We've made some good progress, but a bit too early to announce anything quite yet. 

If you really need them, most of the newer volumes are available on competing software platforms (revised WBC Psalms 1-50, updated Anchor Revelation, WBC Job Part 2, NICOT Psalms, etc). Personally, I'm not a fan of the software alternatives but I've had to buy a number of one-off volumes for work I was doing despite owning the sets in Accordance.

Edited by jeremyduncan

It's sad... I wish all eBooks were interchangeable... I know it will not happen but i can dream...

-Dan

Interchangeable would be amazing... 

but I would just take available on all platforms for the win :)

I haven't spent a lot of time thinking about this but then when I have ....this has been my basic fantasy. I have often thought that it would be nice if publishers produced a basic content file in, say TEI. Then software houses could pick that up and add layers to it, such as morph. tagging, syntax and so on. TEI itself might not be capable of this, but you need something to which people can contribute layers of information. It complicates the file format of course but it leverages the greater number of people involved to do more different things rather than having them doing essentially the same thing multiple times only to produce a different file format. But it's complicated by many factors technical and business related. I was looking at formats again the other day. Just in the biblical space there are numerous, both proprietary and open, formats. Standardising on a single or a small family of related formats would mean that people could use a common library of software to access and manipulate it. Software tools could be built on top of such libraries rather than having every program do it's own. My guess is that to get any traction this would have to come from the publishing end. It could happen slowly over time.

I agree it would be a great improvement though.

Thx

D

Edited by Daniel Semler
  • Like 2