Scripture Links in User Notes

Julia Falling

Hey - When adding a Scripture reference to my User Notes, I find that for the reference to show up in the instant details box, I have to duplicate information. For instance, if I want to hyper link both Heb 4:4 and Heb 4:10, I must type out Heb 4.4; Heb 4:10. If I type more briefly Heb 4:4,10, I get only the first verse when I hover my cursor over the reference. Same with Gen 6:9; Gen 7:5. Typing Gen 6:9; 7:5 won't give me both verses, only the chapter 6 verse. Am I doing something incorrectly, or is this just the way it works? I have noticed that in the other notes and cross references, this is not so. For instance, in the following reference from the ESV cross references, I can get each separate verse in the instant details box when hovering with my cursor - Ezek. 7:2, 3, 6.

Thanks for any help you can offer. This is not an earth-shattering problem, just an annoyance.

I believe that this is just the way it works in User Tools, sorry! However, if you click one of the double references, all the verses will be shown in the Text window, it's only Instant Details that is limited to one verse.

Helen - Thanks for the quick response. Guess I'll just learn to live with it.

Julie,

You don't have to live with it, you just have to be sure that the semicolon or comma between references is NOT part of the hypertext link. In your example of Gen 6:9; 7:5, if you select each reference separately and make each a hyperlink, each one will be treated as a separate reference. If, however, you select both references and make them a single hyperlink, they'll be treated as one hyperlink and only the first verse will appear in the Instant Details box.

Hope this helps.

David - Thanks. I'll give it a try.

David - I tried it with no success. Even if it looks like this: Gen 6:9; 7:5. I hyperlinked each separately. Accordance seems to need book and chapter for each reference.

• 9 months later...

David,

I am having the same problem. Formating User Notes Hyperlink References like this: 1Kings 7:1-2; 8-12; 9:1; 10:19-20; 15:19 in my User Notes file and then clicking it produces a results window for 1Kings 7:1-2, but nothing else. If I click on a specific reference other than 1Kings 7:1-2, like 9:1, I get an error message saying the reference cannot be found.

Do you have a solution or does the book name have to be typed in before every reference?

This is not the case in User Tools.

I am just trying to figure out the best way to use Accordance Tools and Notes before I get too deep in creating a huge study file.

It IS different in User Notes. Here you must make them all one link, and they will work when clicking to get a Text window, but you will only see the very first verse in Instant Details.

However, you have an error in your string of references. It is giving me 1Kings 7:1-2; chapters 8-12; then 9:1; 10:19-20; 15:19. If you meant verses 8-12, it needs to have a comma after v 2: 1Kings 7:1-2, 8-12; 9:1; 10:19-20; 15:19. If you mean 8:12 it needs a colon in place of the hyphen: 1Kings 7:1-2; 8:12; 9:1; 10:19-20; 15:19.

In User Tools the reference string is properly "parsed" when you update the tool, fo each reference is attached to the preceding book name. This does not happen in User Notes.

Thank you Helen. I now understand and it works as you stated.

• 1 year later...

thanks for posting a link to this in another discussion, I've been struggling with the hyperlinks in user notes all day.

Would it be possible, as part of a future update or something, to add a hyperlink editor? I'm putting a lot of my seminary notes into user notes, and would like to hyperlink all of the scripture references, but would prefer to not have to edit them repeatedly to have the full reference typed out.

Thanks for listening! As I get to know Accordance better, I am appreciating its nuances and strengths.

DG

Archived