Clontz: How does one access the non-Bible refs?

Enoch

Clontz Comprehensive NT Notes:

I was just looking through this module. This module claims to have a ton of non-Bible cross references. But when I took a look at what it actually presents, it seems to be a list of textual variants with a tabulation of what English translation follows a given variant. I didn't see any of those non-Biblical references.

How do you get to that part of the module?

Cross Reference Index

To better understand how the New Testament answers questions for us today, it is helpful to see how the New Testament answered questions in its ancient setting. That ancient world still exists in whole libraries of documents which are cross referenced in an extensive index. The cross references are arranged by topic, passage, and verse. The cross reference index is designed to be used with the topical reference index to facilitate locating references for common New Testament topics. The cross reference index includes over 40,000 references for:

Old and New Testaments

Old Testament Apocrypha

Apostolic and Patristic Writings

Dead Sea Scrolls

Dhammapada

Epic of Gilgamesh

Golden Verses of Pythagoras

Greek Literature

Nag Hammadi Library

New Testament Apocrypha

Pseudepigrapha

Rabbinic Writings

Tacitus

The Egyptian Book of the Dead

Works of Josephus

Works of Philo

Works of Plato

Hi Enoch, here are the results of putting the Comp Crossrefs in parallel to Gen 1:1. There are a ton of non-biblical crossrefs there

1:1 John 1:1; Pseudepigrapha, 3Enoch 26:9, Hellenistic Synagogal Prayers 3:1; Hellenistic Synagogal Prayers 12:18, Hellenistic Synagogal Prayers 15:3; Pseudepigrapha, Sibylline Oracles 1.5, Testament of Abraham 11:9; Philo, Appendices A Treatise Concerning the World (1), On Dreams That they Are God-Sent (1.215), Who is the Heir of Divine Things (122); Ambrose, Of the Holy Spirit - Book 2.1, Of the Holy Spirit - Book 2.35; Athanasius, Defence of the Nicene Definition - 13, Discourse 2 - 57; Incarnation of the Word - 3.1; Basil, The Hexaemeron - Homily 1.2; Gregory of Nyssa, Answer To Eunomius Second Book, On the Making of Man - 1.2; Hilary of Poitiers, On the Trinity - Book 2.14; Jerome, Letter 057 - To Pammachius.11; John of Damascus, Exposition of the Orthodox Faith - Book 2.10; Clement of Alexandria, Exhortation to the Heathen 8, Stromata Book 6.7; Clement, Homily 16.8, Recognitions Book 1.27; Constitutions of the Holy Apostles, Book 5.7, Book 6.11; Hippolytus, Refutation of all Heresies Book 8.2; Irenaeus, Against Heresies Book 2.2.5; Justin, Hortatory Address to the Greeks 28; Methodius, Fragments Extracts from the Work on Things Created; Origen, Commentary on the Gospel of John Book 1.17, De Principiis Book 2.9.1; De Principiis Book 3.6.8; Tertullian, Against Hermogenes 3, Against Hermogenes 19; Against Hermogenes 20, Against Hermogenes 22; Tertullian, Against Hermogenes 29; Theodotus, Excerpts 3; Egyptian Book of the Dead, Oration 17, Oration 79; Leiden Hymn, 100

Am I missing something?

It doesn't contain the actual works, only the references.

Edited by Ken Simpson

The Clontz NT notes are more like the NET notes - notes on variants. You need to look at the Comprehensive Crossrefs module, nit the NT notes

Comprehensive NT Notes

The Comprehensive New Testament Notes (CNT Notes)
edited by T. E. Clontz & J. Clontz
New Testament with complete textual variant mapping and references for the Dead Sea Scrolls, Philo, Josephus, Nag Hammadi Library, Pseudepigrapha, Apocrypha, etc.
Copyright © Cornerstone Publications 2008.
All rights reserved. Used by permission.
Accordance edition hypertexted and formatted by OakTree Software, Inc.
Version 1.1

Just as one more note, in the NT notes, for example

Matthew 12:22

Alx/Byz[was brought to him], Minor[they brought to him (JNT, MRD, NAB, NET, NIV, NJB, NRS, REB, TEV)]; Alx[so that the mute man], Byz[so that the blind and mute man (~HCS, ~JNT, KJV, ~MRD, NKJ, ~REB, ~TEV)]; Alx[spoke and saw], Byz[both spoke and saw (HCS, JNT, KJV, MRD, NIV, NKJ, NLT, REB, TLB)].

T. E. Clontz and J. Clontz, The Comprehensive New Testament (Notes) (Accordance electronic ed. Clewiston: Cornerstone Publications, 2008), n.p.

~MRD is the Murdock’s translation of the Peshitta 1851

The Clontz NT notes are more like the NET notes - notes on variants. You need to look at the Comprehensive Crossrefs module, nit the NT notes

Comprehensive NT Notes

The Comprehensive New Testament Notes (CNT Notes)

edited by T. E. Clontz & J. Clontz

New Testament with complete textual variant mapping and references for the Dead Sea Scrolls, Philo, Josephus, Nag Hammadi Library, Pseudepigrapha, Apocrypha, etc.

Copyright © Cornerstone Publications 2008.

All rights reserved. Used by permission.

Accordance edition hypertexted and formatted by OakTree Software, Inc.

Version 1.1

Pardon my obtusitosity, but I am at a loss to know why the Notes claim:

"New Testament with complete textual variant mapping and references for the Dead Sea Scrolls, Philo, Josephus, Nag Hammadi Library, Pseudepigrapha, Apocrypha, etc.,"

if in fact the Notes don't have the non-biblicals, but you have to go to a different module, to wit,

the Comprehensive Crossrefs module ?

As to Murdoch, I heard how he had a controlling interest in Zondervan, & thus the NIV, but I had no idea he was an expert on the Peshitta.

Edited by Enoch

Even Rupert isn't (quite) that old. But as I pointed out, the notes do have non-Biblicals (like the peshitta mentioned) but the notes are only notes on the translation. The Comp Crossrefs module is the module where Clontz has gathered all his thoughts on related works. It is not translation notes.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Enoch,

It's the same book, but a different module -- if you own one module you also own the other (since they are packaged together), and you will be able to use the parallels side by side.

Even knowing what to look for I had to poke around a bit before I could get them together on my screen.

In any case the CNT notes gives the text notes, and the Comprehensive CrossRefs gives the cross references. You can use them with the Comprehensive New Testament translation or with any other translation you've purchased.

Tim