Greek Copy/Pasting Problem

Darren Larson

I have found that whenever I am copying and pasting a Greek word that starts with an omega AND a rough accent (e.g., the oft-repeated word hos) that the accent mark is substituted with the Apple logo in Word. This does not occur when the word begins with omega, but has a smooth accent (like ophelethes in Matt. 15).

I've tried the font fixer to fix the problem but it did not fix it! I also noticed it's only since I installed 7 that this has occured (since I never noticed it before and I'm certain I've copy/pasted like this before I got 7). Anyone have any suggestions?

I can verify this behavior on a MacBook with Accordance 7.1 and Word 2004.

For now, you can get the correct accent by replacing the apple glyph with a capital J in Helena (see page 6 of the Accordance Fonts PDF). Word's Find and Replace can do this for you globally in a document:

1. enter the appropriate characters in the "Find what:" and "Replace with:" boxes

2. click the blue disclosure button next to the Replace All button

3. with the cursor in the Replace with: box, choose Format > Font..., and choose Helena

4. click Replace All

I also just noticed it again when the word starts with an alpha and a rough accent (Mark 2:5).

This is just FYI in case it's a fixable issue.

PS. Thanks jpkang for the replace all idea. I was just going through and manually fixing it.

Darren Larson wrote

"I also just noticed it again when the word starts with an alpha and a rough accent (Mark 2:5)."

I saw the same problem (OS 10.4.8, Accordance 7.1, Word 11.3.3 on Powerbook G4).

In Font Book - Helena font - Plain was "off" and Regular "on".

This was the setting Font Book used to resolve duplicates.

I switched them over so that Plain was "on" and Regular "off", this SEEMED to have cured the problem.

But I only restarted Word - that updated the font information for Word and all looked OK. Accordance was using the regular font and Word the plain - I had no trouble copying and pasting.

However when I restarted my computer this morning - both applications were using the same Helena font - Accordance didn't like the setting and the Greek font was all messed up.

It looks like a font problem - Accordance works with Helena regular - Word works with Helena Plain.

E

• 4 weeks later...

I'm having the same problem using a Macbook, Accordance 7.1 and Mellel. I have run the font fixer and I have only one iteration of Helena in my font book

This has nothing to do with FontFixer or the FontBook. Apple is substituting the apple for our rough breathing. You can search and replace these characters (shift-option-k) with shift-j which looks almost as good. The next rev of Accordancve will make that substitution for you when you export in Helena.

Another alternative is to convert to Unicode. the Accordance Fonts PDF goes into all the options.

For the record, FontFixer only corrects errors of font display within Accordance.

Archived