Alternative Hebrew Aspect selections

Ken Simpson

Hi,

In case anyone missed it on the complete list of what's new in 11.1 at http://www.accordancebible.com/New-Since-11/ , you can now use the terms Qatal/Yiqtol in searches. Set them at Preferences > Greek & Hebrew.

post-32543-0-16767600-1446575387_thumb.png

These terms even show up in Instant Details.

This is an unexpected and very welcome new feature. Thank you Accordance.

Regards,

Michel

• Like 9

i'm very happy with this feature, too! :)

• Like 3

Yes, many thanks, indeed!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

A couple of questions regarding the "cohortative" tags:

Am I correct that the tag "cohortative heh" is not used? If so, shouldn't it be removed as a searchable tag?

The tagging of verbs in Gen. 22:5 and in Ex. 14:4 and 17 as "cohortative form" seems arbitrary; shouldn't they be tagged "cohortative both"? (I note also the seemingly arbitrary "jussive form" in Gen. 4:12.)

The tab dialog lists some forms only present in other texts. For instance, cohortativeHeh is used in various DSSB texts.

A couple of questions regarding the "cohortative" tags: Am I correct that the tag "cohortative heh" is not used? If so, shouldn't it be removed as a searchable tag? The tagging of verbs in Gen. 22:5 and in Ex. 14:4 and 17 as "cohortative form" seems arbitrary; shouldn't they be tagged "cohortative both"? (I note also the seemingly arbitrary "jussive form" in Gen. 4:12.)

Hi Harvey, you may not know that our tagging is from the Westminster-Groves institute. At least as far as I know we do not mess with the tagging, we just make the tagging they give us searchable and comprehensible. If there are tagging issues, you can certainly report them to us via “report a correction” in the help menu, or submit them directly to W-G. which is what I understand we do with tagging corrections for the HMT. We maintain our own Greek tagging database, so we can be directly responsive to them.

Edited by Ken Simpson

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

In case anyone missed it on the complete list of what's new in 11.1 at http://www.accordancebible.com/New-Since-11/ , you can now use the terms Qatal/Yiqtol in searches. Set them at Preferences > Greek & Hebrew.

Wow, thanks for bring this to fore front!!!

I did not notice this at all what a great surprise! :lol:

• 6 years later...

I couldn't seem to find any recent relevant articles, so apologies if I am repetitive. The jussive verb tags don't seem to be working with the Hebrew text ETCBC. Is this to be expected?

The list of tags is intended to cover the various databases, and as such will have a superabundance of options for any one. For example, the ETCBC does not distinguish jussive from yiqtol, with which it if often morphologically identical. It does, however, employ "quotation" under the same "other" dropdown menu for verbs, seemingly marking the introduction of reported speech.