• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

#21 davidmedina

davidmedina

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts
  • Interests:God, my family, the Bible, photography and film.
  • Accordance Version:11.x

Posted 28 October 2014 - 09:52 PM

I did upgrade to 6 and loving it. Cant wait for Accordance 11. 

"Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect." Rom. 12:2

Blog: The Renewed Mind.

#22 Daniel Francis

Daniel Francis

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,895 posts
  • Interests:Contemplative prayer, ecological stewardship, science-fiction, and cat herding are some of my interests.
  • Accordance Version:12.x
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, iOS

Posted 28 October 2014 - 10:03 PM

That's good to hear...

#23 tony10000

tony10000

Silver

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • Platforms:Windows

Posted 28 October 2014 - 10:12 PM

I just got an iPad two days ago, and due to various software and server problems at Logos, I have not been able to access my library on this device. On the other hand, Accordance loaded without any problems. Makes me want to say Hmmm...

Moral of the story: Flashy software means nothing if you can't access your library!
  • Daniel Francis, Andrew Mercer, T. Conrad and 1 other like this

Tony Thomas

www.zoeproject.com

Windows 7 and 10 Systems

iPad Mini 2G 

iPod Touch 5G

#24 Daniel Francis

Daniel Francis

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,895 posts
  • Interests:Contemplative prayer, ecological stewardship, science-fiction, and cat herding are some of my interests.

Posted 28 October 2014 - 10:27 PM

And Accordance lets you put all your personal books on your iPhone/iPad.. you cannot do that yet with them (and no time soon either, although they will sync smaller personal books to other desktop machines you own). As nice as somethings there are the speed of their mobile app compared to Accordance is night and day.

-Dan

#25 Dennis Miller

Dennis Miller

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  • Accordance Version:9.x

Posted 29 October 2014 - 07:06 AM

I was a Logos user before coming to Accordance and made the switch because of all the development problems and broken promises from Logos. I still use it because of the great prices on their community offerings that I can add to my library for research purposes but for Bible study Accordance is my choice. When I found out about logos 6 I was surprised that they would release a new verison again without ever completing the last one. On top of that their costs to upgrade are just ridiculous, for $90 you get basically nothing in new datasets/features and bunch of worthless resources that no one really needs or can use for serious study. The next jump takes you into hundreds of dollars to move from L5 to L6. Not going to happen. So, I'm with the rest of these guys and gals, can't wait to see what Accordance 11 can do for my $49 upgrade price. Thanks Oak Tree/Accordance staff and developers.

• Daniel Francis, Dieudonne, T. Conrad and 2 others like this

#26 Daniel Francis

Daniel Francis

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,895 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 09:46 AM

Their 4 was never finished, so why should you expect 5 to be any different. I just feel bad for the beta users there stuck with a 5 full of bugs, literally being forced to upgrade it they want a stable program. But rather than focusing on what others are doing it is nice to know that Accordance makes good stable software and is bringing us new features. One person's blog said it correctly.... L is the bat mobile of bible software (he considered this a good thing but used it to point out it was a high cost, but with all he features one could want). Accordance is great program, with good options, but I for one don't need afterburners or missile launchers or fins...  B)

-Dan

Edited by Dan Francis, 29 October 2014 - 09:47 AM.

#27 rokas

rokas

Bronze

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 10:00 AM

Sorry guys, but I have to say I find this unfair.

Accordance just as well got many online bugs and server issues when it introduced it's new wonderful upgrade feature. Something similar might come once it's updated to Acc 11.

Had Logos 5 for one year now, and really no bugs whatsoever. On the other hand, my Accordance crashed a few times and contains some few small bugs.

HOWEVER, none of this is bad. Both companies bring just fabulous things to the table for us to enjoy. I respect both parties that they dare to bring new stuff even when it means problems, bugs, issues and everything else. No risk, no reward.

We humans are fallen and to expect perfection isn't normal nor makes one happy  :)

EDIT: fixed some grammar

Edited by rokas, 29 October 2014 - 10:53 AM.

• Daniel Francis and PhilT like this

#28 tony10000

tony10000

Silver

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 10:54 AM

Programs that are more server dependent (e.g. Logos) must provide higher service levels than those that are less server dependent (e.g. Accordance).  Not being able to access resources for several days is a real problem.  Releasing an upgrade that doesn't even open on a device still in production is indicative of a serious flaw in your QC.  All software companies have bugs and server problems.  It is only when the prevent the use of the program for several days do they become critical.  With Accordance, I have not experienced any problems that were showstoppers.  

Tony Thomas

www.zoeproject.com

Windows 7 and 10 Systems

iPad Mini 2G 

iPod Touch 5G

#29 Daniel Francis

Daniel Francis

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,895 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 10:57 AM

I never meant to imply they were horrible, I use them daily....a few times a week  in the past it would unexpectedly quit (this has happened in Accordance too, just not as frequently). My bugs comment was focused on the known defects and issues in beta 5.3 and the announcement that there would not be a finished 5.3 released (they did say they may change their minds). As a previous beta tester there I can say there is no easy way to downgrade. So one would remain stuck with an unstable program. I fully agree both programs have value. In my experience Accordance has been more stable to use and far quicker to load up. I am not getting rid of either, but I will not praise either as being ideal. Nor gloss over defects of either. That said I am not going to list of a series of defects in Accordance for no reason (at times I have contributed to threads on improvements hoped for or problems I am having but at the moment off the top of my head I have no complaint with Accordance). Earlier in this thread I was merely trying to point out a few strengths of Accordance that L doesn't have. One could easily go through a list of L features that are not found in Accordance (many of which i have no need of nor desire to see in Accordance). I use both daily. I recommend Accordance to more people primarily because it has a lower entry point and offers a wide range of resources (small compared to L but containing the core of what most would want and even more than a few things not available over there). 

-dan

Edited by Dan Francis, 29 October 2014 - 10:59 AM.

• rokas likes this

#30 rokas

rokas

Bronze

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 11:18 AM

@tony10000

Surely all that should be avoided if possible. Who knows whether they expected that and said "nevermind" or they overlooked it. But pc/mac main program was just as accessible as before and I wouldn't call it too much of the failure if you cannot access it on your tablet. Of course, maybe that's your only device and then your frustration is more than understandable.

@Dan Francis

And I never meant to imply that you implied that   :P . I agree that it wasn't thought out really well concerning beta testers, especially when they are doing such service. On the other hand, I think I recall them telling to have a separate account if you want to beta-test.

They do both have strengths and weaknesses, but what I like is that both are always getting better and better.

Edited by rokas, 29 October 2014 - 11:20 AM.

#31 tony10000

tony10000

Silver

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 12:56 PM

One thing I appreciate about Accordance is their simple upgrade scheme.  I am looking over my "L" upgrade and I feel like I am buying a new car, complete with options and a monthly payment...

Tony Thomas

www.zoeproject.com

Windows 7 and 10 Systems

iPad Mini 2G 

iPod Touch 5G

#32 tony10000

tony10000

Silver

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 06:45 PM

Question: Data sets seem to be all the range in the world of electronic Bible study.  Do you find them useful or they just an easier way to search?  It seems to be if you have good search tools and tagging you shouldn't have to rely on data sets.

Tony Thomas

www.zoeproject.com

Windows 7 and 10 Systems

iPad Mini 2G 

iPod Touch 5G

#33 דָנִיאֶל

דָנִיאֶל

Ruby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,951 posts
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, Windows, Android

Posted 30 October 2014 - 07:09 PM

Hey Tony,

What is a data set in this context exactly ?

Thx

D

Sola lingua bona est lingua mortua
ἡ μόνη ἀγαθὴ γλῶσσα γλῶσσα νεκρὰ ἐστιν
lišanu ēdēnitu damqitu lišanu mītu

"Du stammst vom Herrn Adam und der Herrin Eva ab", sagte Aslan. "Und das ist zugleich Ehre genug, um das Häupt des ärmsten Bettlers zu erheben, und genug, um die Schultern des größten Kaisers auf Erden zu beugen. Sei zufrieden." Aslan, Die Chroniken von Narnia, Prinz Kaspian von Narnia. CS Lewis. Übersetzt von Wolfgang Holbein und Christian Rendel.

Accordance Syntax Search For Wallace's Greek Grammar Beyond the Basics : https://github.com/4...WallaceInSyntax

Accordance Crib Sheets: http://47rooks.com/l...ch-crib-sheets/

Accordance Configurations :

Mac : 2009 27" iMac
12GB RAM

Windows : MSI GE72 7RE Apache Pro laptop
Intel Core Duo Intel i7 Kabylake

Android : Samsung Note III 5.0, Samsung Tab S3 7.0 and Lenovo TAB4 8" 7.1

#34 Alistair

Alistair

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,645 posts
  • Platforms:Mac OS X

Posted 30 October 2014 - 07:18 PM

Accordance 11 will be one more louder than most blokes, you know, who will be playing with Accordance 10.

I can see the marketing team getting carried away with "Accordance: this one goes to eleven." :)

#35 Joe Weaks

Joe Weaks

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,359 posts
  • Interests:I like things that are Orange, and possibly Blue.

Posted 30 October 2014 - 09:04 PM

I can see the marketing team getting carried away with "Accordance: this one goes to eleven." :)

Thank you for being at least one person who got my reference.

• Daniel Francis likes this
Joe Weaks
The Macintosh Biblioblog

Sometimes I'm so helpful even I can't stand it.

#36 tony10000

tony10000

Silver

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 09:25 PM

What is a data set in this context exactly ?

In Brand "L" speak, basically it is a custom report that pulls stuff from various resources in your library.  For example, if you are studying the Book of John, it would pull all of the biographical data, all of the introductions from your commentaries, all the dictionary articles, etc.  Another kind of report could show you every place in the Bible where Paul is the speaker.  Another one could show you all of the material on a certain event, say the wedding at Cana.  I am getting the impression that Accordance 11 is going in this direction as well.

Thank you for being at least one person who got my reference.

Spinal Tap.  We got it!

• Christopher likes this

Tony Thomas

www.zoeproject.com

Windows 7 and 10 Systems

iPad Mini 2G 

iPod Touch 5G

#37 דָנִיאֶל

דָנִיאֶל

Ruby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,951 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 10:14 PM

In Brand "L" speak, basically it is a custom report that pulls stuff from various resources in your library.  For example, if you are studying the Book of John, it would pull all of the biographical data, all of the introductions from your commentaries, all the dictionary articles, etc.  Another kind of report could show you every place in the Bible where Paul is the speaker.  Another one could show you all of the material on a certain event, say the wedding at Cana.  I am getting the impression that Accordance 11 is going in this direction as well.

Makes sense but there is a lot of manual work to produce these. Computers cannot do it so the next best thing is to can analyses that humans can produce and provide a slightly derivative database to search which then a computer can search for us very readily. But of course, like any secondary/teriary/N-ary form of data, it bears careful use.

Thx

D

"Du stammst vom Herrn Adam und der Herrin Eva ab", sagte Aslan. "Und das ist zugleich Ehre genug, um das Häupt des ärmsten Bettlers zu erheben, und genug, um die Schultern des größten Kaisers auf Erden zu beugen. Sei zufrieden." Aslan, Die Chroniken von Narnia, Prinz Kaspian von Narnia. CS Lewis. Übersetzt von Wolfgang Holbein und Christian Rendel.

Accordance Syntax Search For Wallace's Greek Grammar Beyond the Basics : https://github.com/4...WallaceInSyntax

12GB RAM

#38 tony10000

tony10000

Silver

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 10:27 PM

Makes sense but there is a lot of manual work to produce these. Computers cannot do it so the next best thing is to can analyses that humans can produce and provide a slightly derivative database to search which then a computer can search for us very readily. But of course, like any secondary/teriary/N-ary form of data, it bears careful use.

The question is how useful and valuable are they in Bible study? I am sure the would be welcomed by a busy pastor for sermon prep, but isn't it better to have a good set of tagged texts and a capable search engine?

I am looking forward to seeing what A11 brings to the table.

Tony Thomas

www.zoeproject.com

Windows 7 and 10 Systems

iPad Mini 2G 

iPod Touch 5G

#39 Daniel Francis

Daniel Francis

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,895 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 10:48 PM

While L or V in my case since I like the catholic variant (even though I am Anglican), is like many releases buggier than belief. Thanks to a bug in Yosemitie (so they say) downloading is very slow, I get a few hundred MB and then have to restart. In the past day we have had two service releases. And today the latest release seems exceptionally sluggish to my use. I thank the hard working wise people at Accordance for waiting till 11 is ready before releasing it (yes it too will have bugs I am sure but hopefully not like this). 

-Dan

#40 דָנִיאֶל

דָנִיאֶל

Ruby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,951 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 10:58 PM

@Tony:

A good question. Like you said, some people will have a use for it, others won't.

Some of it just enables more advanced searching and that's pretty generally useful. Some is much more arcane and of narrower appeal.

Thx

D

12GB RAM

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users