Narrow by apparatus?

Daniel R

Is it possible to narrow a search or search a text within some apparatus constraints?

Let's say I want to look at all the uses of אחר in the BHS (I get 899 hits), but I then I want to narrow in on the verses within the BHS apparatus that occur within these 899 hits (looking for textual variants). I'm pretty sure this is possible in Accordance, but I don't know how.

Thanks.

My first thought, which didn't work, but seems like it should have:

Search your Hebrew text, select all in the search results, right-click to "Copy as References."

This gives you all the verses in which your query appears. Then you can paste them into the search entry bar in the BHS apparatus (which you can open in its own tab/zone). Then you can navigate through the hits as needed.

Is this what you're trying to do?

The oddity here is that the copied list of references has semicolons separating chapters and commas separating verses within a chapter, but Accordance doesn't seem to like that.

"A valid book name must be entered at the selection point" is the message I get (using 11).

Hopefully I'm just missing something obvious that someone can come along and point out for you.

• Like 1

If I'm understanding what you want, try this:

Run your search in the BHS

Open an apparatus in a separate zone, and enter the following in the search box:

[CONTENTS Biblia Hebraica Stuttgartensia Tagged] (assuming you ran the search in Biblia Hebraica Stuttgartensia)

Click on the gear icon in the apparatus zone, select "Show Text As" to "Articles"

I started out trying the same thing Abram did, but Accordance won't recognize spaces between verse references in the search box, then I hit on the CONTENTS idea.

Lorinda

• Like 1

Actually, you could try using the MERGE command, but I'm still not sure I know what you're trying to do, or if that's helpful.

So run your search in BHS, for example (though Helen et al seem to recommend their HMT text instead), then [MERGE Biblia Hebraica Stuttgartensia Tagged] to search your apparatus.

UPDATE after seeing Lorinda's comment:Ah, yes... CONTENTS! Even better, if it's the verses your looking for, as opposed to something like אחר itself showing up in the apparatus.

Edited by Abram K-J

CONTENTS did the job. Thanks. You both understood what I was looking for.

But I think now I wanna try narrowing by a lexeme in the apparatus as Abram describes.

• Like 1

Those commands (and others) are pretty cool in what they can do. If you haven't already, it is worth reading the help files for Commands. Let me know if you want a link.