Make Your Own Readers Greek-Hebrew Bible

Drew Brown

If you're like me, you like to stay fresh on the original languages, but don't want to "cheat" by using an interlinear or reader's Bible with all the vocabulary words occurring less than 100x in the footnotes.

[i'm not sure if what I'm suggesting is in another post, or if I took concepts and applied them for my own use, so if anyone has already posted on this, please let me know.]

There's an easy way to do this in Accordance in order to facilitate reading and yet quickly identify those words you probably don't know.

1.) Open up your Greek or Hebrew text.

2.) In the Search drop-down menu, click on Enter Command > COUNT

3.) Enter the number of words you are comfortable with not knowing. For example, if you have learned all the words of the GNT occurring 30x or more, enter 1-30 in the command.

http://www.drewdbrown.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/Screen-Shot-2014-11-11-at-11.10.27-AM.png

4.) Accordance now returns all those words occurring 30x or less in the GNT.

5.) Click on the Highlights button. Make a new highlight color and call it Greek Vocab.

http://www.drewdbrown.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/Screen-Shot-2014-11-11-at-11.17.28-AM.png

6.) Shift-Click on the new color, and voila - Accordance will highlight all of the Greek Vocabulary words you don't know.

http://www.drewdbrown.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/Screen-Shot-2014-11-11-at-11.25.16-AM.png

7.) When reading the text, you can now instantly see what words you do and don't know. This encourages a regular reading of the text because 1) You aren't overwhelmed with tons of new vocab (esp. in Hebrew Bible!) and 2) You can be encouraged because you actually know more words than you think. :) This will help you identify new forms of words you already know.

8.) Repeat for Hebrew, Aramaic, etc.

Yeah Accordance! Yeah science!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Interesting; let me try this out. Could be useful for my review as well. :)

If this feature http://www.accordancebible.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=13254 were implemented you could have a nice way of doing this more accurately.

If you don't want to cheat there is always reading mode. You have to crib vocab beforehand of course.

Thx

D

• 1 month later...

I would exclude all the Proper Nouns by adding @- [NOUN proper]. Proper Nouns are pretty straight forward. They do not worth being treated as vocabs. Readers might be intimidated to see a whole chapter of name lists such as genealogies or those in Ezra and Nehemiah. :)

PS: I learned this tech from a friend.

• 2 years later...

This is brilliant, thank you! I've been trying to figure out how to identify which words have a lower frequency in a particular book but with the frequency based off of the entire Hebrew Bible. (I need this information to create a "reader's edition" handout for a course I teach in Uganda).

You just saved me a tremendous amount of time.

– Matthew

I would exclude all the Proper Nouns by adding @- [NOUN proper]. Proper Nouns are pretty straight forward. They do not worth being treated as vocabs. Readers might be intimidated to see a whole chapter of name lists such as genealogies or those in Ezra and Nehemiah. :)

PS: I learned this tech from a friend. 

I'd say in a lot of ways it's useful to have a separate "proper names" highlight just for Hebrew! In Greek they're usually a bit more obvious because of capitalization but...how many hours have you spent in those Toledot before giving up and just assuming every word is a name?

• 4 weeks later...

Is there a way to do this in mobile (iPad, iPhone)? I don't see how to access highlights, although I see something in my laptop version about "mobile highlights." Thanks.

Hi Jim,

Here is the highlighting section of the Accordance Mobile help. This should give you information about syncing your laptop highlights and viewing them in Accordance Mobile. 

Mike

Good tip. What's a good frequency for Hebrew?