Favourite Font Settings?

patrick senn

What is your standard/favourite font setting e.g. font type, size, spacing etc that makes Accordance most readable?

I usually have Helvetica Neue Light, font size 18 with 24% line spacing which works good for me but I am curious what works for others...

• Like 1

I use Serif type, Tisa Pro as my main text (font size 18 leading 20%) while with San Serif type face for my Tool text (font size 16 leading 10%) with a parchment background. A picture is worth a thousand word. Please see my attachment if interested.

Screen Shot 2014-11-20 at 8.28.06 PM.zip

• Like 1

Hm, neat choice of font, Kit! Pleasant on the eyes.

Edited by Pchris

Accordance 11 on Windows 7

Is there a way to make the fonts appear darker on the screen for the English biblical texts like the font for the HMT for the Hebrew text?

• Like 1

I'm a particular fan of Baskerville. It's packaged with OS X, I can't say if it is with Windows, however. I use the Readability theme as a base and then tweak a few items (can't remember which now, to be honest, it's been so long).

This screenshot compares Baskerville with Helvetica (lower left).

post-30445-0-55058800-1416576379_thumb.png

Interesting topic. When we moved to Acc-11, I decided to simplify things by going to a unicode font for everything. But there were characteristics I really wanted to maximize readability.

First, I find that shorter, wider fonts work best for me. Tall narrow ones are harder to read.

Second, I wanted to use a font that distinguished between an l, an I, and a 1 (a lower case l, upper case I, and the number 1).

Third, I wanted one that didn't have a bold that screamed bold (like Times New Roman does). The font also had to have an italic – needed for texts, tools, and User Notes – but not an italic that looked like it had been washed in really hot water (like Baskerville's italic – sorry, Graham).

Finally, Greek, Hebrew and English fonts had to be in balance so that all were readable at the same size (point?). I settled on Gentium Basic @16 with 20 leading for texts & 27 leading for tools. Here's a sample workspace. User Notes Gentium Basic @14; SBL Greek.

I would greatly appreciate suggestions for other unicode Greek and Hebrew. I prefer the look of Helena. SBL Greek is too narrow for my taste, and I don't like the tilt.

Those of you with younger eyes may think I've gone all OCD over fonts. Just wait until you get past your 60th birthday.

post-330-0-44467200-1416678057_thumb.jpg

I would greatly appreciate suggestions for other unicode Greek and Hebrew.

Why not try Galatia SIL for Greek.

Do you care for SBL's Hebrew font? If you download their SBL BibLit font it contains both Greek and Hebrew glyphs.

Edited by Graham Buck

Thank you very much, Graham! Galatia SIL Greek is very nice – extremely readable. Perfect for my Notes.

I'm only a Hebrew beginner and find the alphabet hard to read unless it's set it at 27 or 30. SBL Hebrew too small in my Notes. Just did a web search and found Ezra SIL. It's sized better and is a little wider. Any other suggestions?

Ezra SIL is a great font. I think you'll be well served by it.

• Like 1

Accordance 11 on Windows 7

Is there a way to make the fonts appear darker on the screen for the English biblical texts like the font for the HMT for the Hebrew text?

I changed the color to black in Preferences->Text Display->Customize->Color Black

At least I think that's what I did to change from the gray text to darker/black text. :mellow: . I made the change when I first got v10 so I don't remember exactly. I hope that helps you.

Those of you with younger eyes may think I've gone all OCD over fonts.

I would greatly appreciate suggestions for other unicode Greek and Hebrew.

Hi Julie,

We have different needs as we get older, and saving our eyes is certainly one of the most important ones.

That being said, I hope you are willing to pay for a font if it is the right one for you. I would check out RamahU and NewJerusalemU from Linguist's Software at

https://www.linguistsoftware.com/lhebu.htm#NewJerusalemU

RamahU looks a bit wider than Ezra SIL and NewJerusalemU.

Regards,

Michel

• Like 1

Gill Sans - Clear, Neat and Simple.

I changed the color to black in Preferences->Text Display->Customize->Color Black

At least I think that's what I did to change from the gray text to darker/black text. :mellow: . I made the change when I first got v10 so I don't remember exactly. I hope that helps you.

Hi Gordon,

Larry is correct, but I want to clarify a bit more. To make the fonts as dark as possible, go to Edit > Preferences > Text Display > Contents > Color > Custom > Choose Custom Color > and slide the bar to the very bottom to get the blackest black.

post-32543-0-59000100-1416872873_thumb.png

Regards,

Michel

Edited by Michel Gilbert
  • Like 1

Hey Michel, and others. OT I know, and I apologise ftm.

If an image is uploaded in jpg or png format it will display in line and not need to be downloaded to the users computer. There will also be a preview thumbnail generated in situ. This is the best way to share an image. (this does not work, of course, with video, only static graphics.

Just a suggestion. It’s simple in MacOS, but I am not sure how to do anything similar with Windows.

yes but I found that the image is automatically compressed thus it looks fuzzy.

PNG is a somewhat lossless format, (well better than jpg anyway). I don’t find there’s much of a quality loss issue when I use png. Did you try that Kit?

it does compress the image if the size is larger than 1024 px width. That's why I zipped my image so that the quality of the image is remained. I can do a test if you want.

Edited by Kit

Here it is. I upload the image directly and you will see that the image is blurry whereas the original image (the zip file) is very sharp, especially when you look at the icons.

post-4011-0-10029200-1416863545_thumb.png

Edited by Kit

Hi Ken,

I actually asked Anthony about this at http://www.accordancebible.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=14523&do=findComment&comment=70004

and followed his instructions.

I thought the pdf file would show up in the post as an image. I guess it has to be a png or jpeg file.

I'm not that familiar with graphics programs, files, etc. So bear with me as I edit my post with a png file and see how it looks.

Hi Kit,

What is the easiest way to go from Print Screen to cutting and pasting a part of it into a png or jpeg file in Windows 8.1?

Thank you.

Regards,

Michel

Hey Mitch,

As I am a mac user, I don't really know how to do it in Windows. Sorry about that. Any Windows users can help Mitch regarding this question? Thanks,

Chris

On win look for thing called Snipping Tool. I use it on Win7

Thx

D

• Like 1

Hey Kit, I find the quality of the image you uploaded to be fine. Admittedly more fuzzy than the pdf you uploaded, but more that adequate for most things that I could imagine we look at on the forums. Nonetheless, please do what you feel more comfortable with.

Mich,

open Snipping tool in Windows. Then take your snap, and then save as a png and upload it.

post-29509-0-85923800-1416865838_thumb.pngpost-29509-0-54100000-1416865856_thumb.pngpost-29509-0-59978900-1416865872_thumb.pngpost-29509-0-41621500-1416865898_thumb.pngpost-29509-0-35523800-1416865917_thumb.png

Hi Ken,

Sorry to say that the image that i uploaded directly is not fine as it has been resized to 1200 px wide compared to the original which is 2056px wide. That's why I said it is blurry and not sharp.