#1 hbowles

hbowles

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Accordance Version:11.x
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, iOS

Posted 09 December 2014 - 03:03 PM

I would love to see The Passion Translation be offered in Accordance.  I love that it seeks to share GOD'S heart to reach our heart.  I understand that currently only certain books of The Bible are out in this version.  Those being Psalms, Proverbs, James, Luke, Hebrews, Acts, John, Song of Soloman, and Paul's letters.  I hope you will consider adding it.   :-)    

https://www.youtube....h?v=HdS1JQPWDSY

#2 PiersKiwi

PiersKiwi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Accordance Version:12.x
  • Platforms:Mac OS X

Posted 11 October 2017 - 12:48 PM

I too would love to see this very new translation seeing general exposure on Accordance. In New Zealand we are now able to buy The Passion Translation: New Testament. I would seriously like this in my resources. I would use it constantly if it was there. Brian Simmons (who heads up the translation team) has published many smaller releases as mentioned in hbowles post. They are consistently insightful and hugely impacting on those who stumble on these gems. 

#3 showens

showens

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • Platforms:Windows

Posted 12 October 2017 - 07:05 AM

After reading a few things about the nature of TPT, I'm not sure I would buy it for Accordance.  My use of Accordance is for semi-serious study (meaning I am not a scholar in a University doing post-doc research).  Having a one-person work means I get only that person's interpretive decisions.  And some of the decisions made seem to go against scholarly consensus.

Devotionally, I like the idea of hearing something new in a familiar passage.  I use The Message for that kind of thing, and it can be good to expand my idea of what a passage is about.  But I can never stray too far from the mainstream.

#4 Timothy Jenney

Timothy Jenney

Mithril

• Accordance
  • 2,746 posts
  • Interests:a great cup of coffee, sci-fi, jazz and the blues, kayaking, camping, fishing and the great outdoors

Posted 12 October 2017 - 08:41 AM

Generally, we avoid translations that haven't completed at least one of the major sections of the Bible: Old Testament or New Testament.

Blessings,
"Dr. J"

Timothy P. Jenney, Ph. D.
"Lighting the Lamp" Host and Producer

Academic Licensing Assistant

iMac: Late 2014 27" 5k display, 4.0 GHz quad core i7, 24 GB RAM, 500 GB SSD,  AMD Radeon R9 M295X 4096 MB, macOS Sierra 10.13

MBP: Early 2011 17" MBP (8,3), 2.3 GHz quad core i7, 16 GB RAM, 480 SSD  + 1 TB SSD, AMD Radeon HD 6750M, macOS Sierra 10.13

iPhone 7 plus: 128 GB, iOS 11.x

#5 PiersKiwi

PiersKiwi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 01:35 PM

After reading a few things about the nature of TPT, I'm not sure I would buy it for Accordance.  My use of Accordance is for semi-serious study (meaning I am not a scholar in a University doing post-doc research).  Having a one-person work means I get only that person's interpretive decisions.  And some of the decisions made seem to go against scholarly consensus.

Devotionally, I like the idea of hearing something new in a familiar passage.  I use The Message for that kind of thing, and it can be good to expand my idea of what a passage is about.  But I can never stray too far from the mainstream.

Enjoyed your comment Showens. Not sure where the "one-person work" idea came from. Brian Simmons merely heads the translation team. I have heard him lecture too which is another facet to him personally, but hardly constitutes evidence of dominance in the translation process. I too enjoy using The Message. Great for stimulating fresh insights. I am aware that Simmons has stirred up debate in areas previously viewed as "settled" or "established", however I find it healthy to remain open to such challenges. In the end, our concepts of God don't define God, they far more usually end up defining us: Hence my intention to remain open to fresh voices pointing out His character.

#6 PiersKiwi

PiersKiwi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 01:38 PM

Generally, we avoid translations that haven't completed at least one of the major sections of the Bible: Old Testament or New Testament.

Thanks for that Timothy. Did you realise this translation is of the entire New Testament and includes Psalms and Proverbs?

#7 showens

showens

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • Platforms:Windows

Posted 12 October 2017 - 02:10 PM

Not sure where the "one-person work" idea came from. Brian Simmons merely heads the translation team.

My humble apologies about the "one-person" comment - that's what comes from reading just one reviewer's comments and shallow research on my part.  This is good to know;  will definitely keep an eye our for the time that it becomes more affordable for me in print.

#8 Timothy Jenney

Timothy Jenney

Mithril

• Accordance
  • 2,746 posts
  • Interests:a great cup of coffee, sci-fi, jazz and the blues, kayaking, camping, fishing and the great outdoors

Posted Today, 04:43 PM

Thanks for that Timothy. Did you realise this translation is of the entire New Testament and includes Psalms and Proverbs?

No, I did not. I had just read the initial post (12/2014), which indicated that the NT was not yet finished. I stand corrected. Thank you.

Blessings,
"Dr. J"

Timothy P. Jenney, Ph. D.
"Lighting the Lamp" Host and Producer

Academic Licensing Assistant

iMac: Late 2014 27" 5k display, 4.0 GHz quad core i7, 24 GB RAM, 500 GB SSD,  AMD Radeon R9 M295X 4096 MB, macOS Sierra 10.13

MBP: Early 2011 17" MBP (8,3), 2.3 GHz quad core i7, 16 GB RAM, 480 SSD  + 1 TB SSD, AMD Radeon HD 6750M, macOS Sierra 10.13

iPhone 7 plus: 128 GB, iOS 11.x

#9 PiersKiwi

PiersKiwi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted Today, 05:00 PM

No, I did not. I had just read the initial post (12/2014), which indicated that the NT was not yet finished. I stand corrected. Thank you.

Yesterday I purchased a print copy of the above for NZD$40 and was delighted to find it not only had the NT, Psalms, Proverbs, but also Song of Songs.

Also amazed at how generous the footnotes and book introductions are. These notes not only make fascinating reading, but also provide clear indications as to how passages have been treated, so that if you come from a different perspective you are in a much better position to work through the issues arising.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

ucfgrad93