Easiest Way to getting context

Tom

OK, there must be an easy way to do this simple task. I want to pull up the context of a particular verse that I have in my search results. I know I can select "Add context" under more options, but this is several mouse clicks and the search results are thrown out of whack because the resulting verses are the product of the hits times the number of verses of context that I select.

There must be an easier way.

Let's say I do a simple search on the word "trust" used in Psalms in the NIV.

I get 39 hits.

One of them is Psalm 37:5: "Commit your way to the LORD; trust in him and he will do this: "

Do what? I wonder. And what is the flow of thought before and after verse?

Is there any control-click, shift-click, triple-click, key combinations that I can quickly and easily bring up Psalm 37 or it's context or even the entire bible starting with Psalm 37:5 so I can quickly and easily read the context and then dismiss the window/tab and go back to my search results?

I hope I am clear enough on this.

Please advise.

Tom

Click on the verse in your search results, then press cmd-5 (Amplify menu > Context), and it will open a tab duplicating the current layout with the selected verse as the first verse and showing all text by default.

Easy enough, I hope!

Or just click in the verse and click the Context button on the Resource palette, which you should keep open in any case.

Or, if you prefer, use the newer Contextual menu by right clicking (Control clicking) and selecting Lookup>Context.

These are three ways of amplifying to the "Context".

;)

Thank you one and all. I did say "there must be an easy way to do this simple task." And I see there is (are). jpkang and Joe's solutions are the best for me (I actually did the ctr-click on the verse before I wrote my question, but failed to notice the "context" option.

I don't keep the resource palette open, so that option is not as good. On my MacBook, I want all the screen space I can get. Is it really helpful to keep this collapsing/expanding window open all the time? Does everybody do this? Am I missing out on some easy accessible features?

Again, thanks for answering what I knew would be an embarrassing question.

Tom

I don't keep the resource palette open, so that option is not as good. On my MacBook, I want all the screen space I can get. Is it really helpful to keep this collapsing/expanding window open all the time?

Tom,

I close the the palette as much as possible, and I have a 20" iMac! I always have lots of windows open on my Mac, and palettes/toolbars that appear and disappear as apps are brought to the front, well I find them annoying.

You might familiarize yourself with the Option Command 0 key combo which toggles hiding all the palette you have open. That would be helpful in your situation, perhaps.

post-16-1173145124_thumb.png

In a perfect world, Accordance would be more OS X friendly, and we could assign a custom key combo to toggle the Resource Palette itself. You can see in the screenshot that I've set Resource Palette to Option F1, but it just errors. Accordance is a Carbon-based lifeform, and as such, the First Responder routine can't handle this function. :(

This touches on issues I've long lamented.

These custom event calls keep us from taking advantage of ALOT of OS X coolness, including GUI scripting, and even enabling Speech control of Accordance.

Archived