Revised and Rotherham Versions

Peter Smythe

Are there any plans to include a Revised or Rotherham version module?

The RV is the only authorized revision of the King James and should be included. Additionally, scholars such as A.T. Robertson and Vincent used the RV for their Greek work.

I consistently refer to Rotherham's translation in my own work.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
Rotherham's version is freely available under the Sword project.

http://www.crosswire.org/sword/modules/Mod...?modType=Bibles

You will need MacSword to open these files. It's free.

http://www.macsword.com/

Alos available for Windows and Linux.

~A!

A - I'm not at all a software junkie. Is there anyway that Rotherham can be converted to be used on Accordance through the open source thingamabob? I don't want to have to go back and forth between two programs.

Import User Bible lets you take an etext you own and create a Bible module for Accordance.

A - I'm not at all a software junkie. Is there anyway that Rotherham can be converted to be used on Accordance through the open source thingamabob? I don't want to have to go back and forth between two programs.

You'll still have to get MacSword and the Rotherham module, then you'll need to extract the text, then you'll need to tidy it up in a word processor or text editor and format it so Accordance will import it correctly. But it can be done.

Just checked my print copy of Rotherham, and realised that if you want the emphasis marks (single upright lines, double upright lines, angular marks, etc) these are all absent from the MacSword Rotherham module. The module does have some text in italics, however, and you should be able to export it OK. Whether or not you will be able to import the italic formatting I cannot say.

It was called The Emphasised Bible for a reason!

~A!

You'll also need to edit the text for artifacts that have appeared in the module, e.g. in Rev. 22:21 it reads:

"The favour of the Lord Jesus \ul1 Christ\ul0 be with the saints."

In the printed version the word Christ is inside square brackets, relating to "words with respect to which ancient authorities are not unanimous"

There aren't too many of these in the text, but a quick glance through the NT revealed more than a few.

Always be wary of free open source texts!

~A!

The formatting you need and can use are described in Accordance Help and in the User's Guide for 7.4.

Archived