BDAG: What does it mean under συνάγω

Enoch

Under συνάγω one finds in BDAG about half way through the section 1b

"b. of persons bring or call together, gather a number of persons"

ἵνα κἀμὲ συναγάγῃ ὁ κύριος Ἰ. Χρ. μετὰ τῶν ἐκλεκτῶν that the Lord Jesus Christ may gather me also with the chosen M[artyrdom of ]Pol[ycarp] 22:3b; EpilMosq [Epilogus Mosquensis—list 1] 5b.

This reference, which I fail to understand, as in my Apostolic Fathers the Martyrdom of Polycarp has no "22:3" listed at all, neither does the quoted string occur. I did the Research search for Greek texts in my library & also failed to turn up this quote. I have no idea what EpilMosq [= Epilogus Mosquensis—list 1] means by "list 1."

I am guessing that BDAG means that in the Moscow Epilogue to the Martyrdom of Polycarp, those words occur. But I have no idea when this epilogue was written nor why it doesn't appear in my Apostolic Fathers, since my AP text does have some presentation of the Moscow Epilogue.

This looks like the term may have been used in the EM as a reference to the death of an individual, but I have no idea what the context is, nor do I know where to find this.

Hi Enoch,

I looked it up in my paper version published in 1979, it gives this for the abbreviation;

Epil Mosq = Epilogus Mosquensis to the Martyrdom of Polycarp (p. 128 in Gebh., Har., and Zahn

I think that "Gebh., Har., and Zahn" is this book (because it is referenced in the abbreviation page);

the smaller edition of Patres Apostolici by Gebhardt, Harnack and Zahn published in 1920.

Hope that helps.

Dave

I ran across something similar in another case - perhaps in BDAG maybe somewhere else. It was referring to a particular abbreviation list in the work itself. In fact in the Acc BDAG you see refs. to various lists as links. And if you click on one saying list 1 it takes you to :

1. THE NEW TESTAMENT, THE APOSTOLIC FATHERS, AND SELECTED APOCRYPHA

where you find EpilMosq:

EpilMosq = Epilogus Mosquensis to the Martyrdom of Polycarp. Bihlmeyer 132

Perhaps this helps. I check AF (Holmes) and συνάγω itself does not occur, so I don't think I have the epilogue in question.

Thx

D

Ok I found something. In Holmes English there is a reference to this and ID shows the alternative text. I'll paste it here :

Michael W. Holmes, ed., The Apostolic Fathers: Greek Texts and English Translations (trans. Michael W. Holmes; 3d, Accordance electronic ed. Grand Rapids: Baker Academic, 2007), n.p.

[AF-T] MPoly. 23:2 ¶ (22.3) Ἐγὼ δὲ πάλιν Πιόνιος ἐκ τῶν Ἰσοκράτους ἀντιγράφων ἔγραψα, κατὰ ἀποκάλυψιν τοῦ ἁγίου Πολυκάρπου ζητήσας αὐτά, συναγαγὼν αὐτὰ ἤδη σχεδὸν ἐκ τοῦ χρόνου κεκμηκότα, ἵνα κἀμὲ συναγάγῃ ὁ κύριος Ἰησοῦς Χριστὸς μετὰ τῶν ἐκλεκτῶν αὐτοῦ εἰς τὴν ἐπουράνιον αὐτοῦ βασιλείαν· ᾧ ἡ δόξα σὺν τῷ πατρὶ καὶ τῷ υἱῷ καὶ τῷ ἁγίῳ πνεύματι εἰς τοὺς αἰῶνας τῶν αἰώνων, ἀμήν.

Thx

D

ahh so cool!

Much easier that looking it up in paper.

I followed your lead Daniel and the links it zips you to => "For the Apostolic Fathers and related witnesses the basic text is KBihlmeyer (ed.), Die Apostolischen Väter: Neubearbeitung der Funckschen Ausgabe, I, 2d ed. 1956 (supersedes OGebhardt/AHarnack/TZahn [G-H-Z], Patrum Apostolicorum Opera 1920),"

My paper version is old I guess I think its a 4th edition.

So fast compared to paper!!

Dave

Ok I found something. In Holmes English there is a reference to this and ID shows the alternative text. I'll paste it here :

Michael W. Holmes, ed., The Apostolic Fathers: Greek Texts and English Translations (trans. Michael W. Holmes; 3d, Accordance electronic ed. Grand Rapids: Baker Academic, 2007), n.p.

[AF-T] MPoly. 23:2 ¶ (22.3) Ἐγὼ δὲ πάλιν Πιόνιος ἐκ τῶν Ἰσοκράτους ἀντιγράφων ἔγραψα, κατὰ ἀποκάλυψιν τοῦ ἁγίου Πολυκάρπου ζητήσας αὐτά, συναγαγὼν αὐτὰ ἤδη σχεδὸν ἐκ τοῦ χρόνου κεκμηκότα, ἵνα κἀμὲ συναγάγῃ ὁ κύριος Ἰησοῦς Χριστὸς μετὰ τῶν ἐκλεκτῶν αὐτοῦ εἰς τὴν ἐπουράνιον αὐτοῦ βασιλείαν· ᾧ ἡ δόξα σὺν τῷ πατρὶ καὶ τῷ υἱῷ καὶ τῷ ἁγίῳ πνεύματι εἰς τοὺς αἰῶνας τῶν αἰώνων, ἀμήν.

Thx

D

Thanks again Daniel, your help has been great. Without asking you to do research for me, do you have an opinion on this? Does this mean that there are variant versions of the Epilogus Mosquensis to the Martyrdom of Polycarp?

I know so little of the AF I'm afraid that my opinion would be worth nothing on the point. As far as I can tell everything ever copied in ancient times had variants. So I would not be surprised if it were so here, but I have no evidence.

Thx

D