Search for Verbs in Romans missing verb in Romans 1:2

KBent

When doing a search in the NA28T text in Accordance Version 11.0.3 using these parameters:

[VERB] OR [VERB participle] [RANGE Romans]

for some reason, it doesn't pick up the verb in Romans 1:2 - (in fact the search results leave out verse 2 entirely.)

wonder what I am missing here...or is this a program error?

Edited by KBent

That IS weird, especially because the same search without the RANGE command finds the verb in Romans 1:2!

The error seems to be consistent throughout our collections of GNTs, which suggests it may be an error in the definition of the RANGE command itself (for Romans?!?). I made a custom range of Romans and the search worked correctly using the Search Condition: Range. It just doesn't work with the RANGE command.

Thanks for reporting this!

KBent, I believe you may have found a very interesting bug! Part of this is your ambiguity in your logic. Are you trying to search in the book of romans for all Verbs or Participle Verbs? Or are you trying to find all Verbs, except in the book of romans, you only want the participle verbs. It is possible to interpret your search the latter way, which is how Accordance interpreted it.

I'm not sure why you are searching for [VERB] [VERB participle], as this seems redundant to me. Wouldn't all participle verbs be verbs anyway? Perhaps if you can clarify what you are searching for we can help you use a less ambiguous search query.

Thanks for the reply!

On a related note, I'm guessing there is no way to search for verbs AND verb participles and have the search results highlighted in different colors (i.e. all the verbs one color, and the participles in another) in the same search window?

Sorry, not at the present.

Now, you could do two different searches. After each select a hit, press the Shift key, then choose a highlight. Accordance will highlight every hit with that color. Choose a different Highlight color for the second search.

Edited by Timothy Jenney

Joel:

My goal is simply to be able to differentiate the two in the same search window without having to manually highlight the participles. I am just tracing the main verbs throughout a passage (actually just in Romans 1 for now.)

I think this is helpful...For example in Mark 5, regarding the woman with the issue of blood - there are (I think) 7 participles before the main verb...another oft-mentioned point along this line is in determining the main verb in Matthew 28's Great Commission contrasted with the participles.

I'm an older guy, so instead of manually looking in Han's parsing guide, I'm trying to learn a few shortcuts with Accordance.

Tim's idea is definitely the best. You could search simply for [VERB participle] and highlight all of the hits in a particular style. Then, any other time you are working you can instantly identify the participles as opposed to anything else.

great thanks! ummm...putting the cursor on a verb highlighted from a search and pressing the SHIFT key does nothing on my Windows version...right click brings up where I can change the highlighted color....

Am I missing a step? (I'm a newbie to Accordance.)

Edited by KBent

If you are using the right-click menu, rather than the highlight palette, select Highlight All Hits. It's two menu items below Highlight.

Edited by Timothy Jenney

Hi KBent,

Have a look at the attached screenshot, which will hopefully help. Do you see a menu like this when you right-click on a search result?

post-29437-0-85999800-1421102767_thumb.png

If so, you should be able to highlight all hits that way. If you want to set up a specific "participles" highlight style (even purple circles or green zigzags, so it really stands out), you can do that from this menu:

post-29437-0-10910700-1421102791_thumb.png

Hope that helps,

Tony