Comparing Vocabulary

Timothy Jenney

Recently a member on a fb page I frequent posed the following question, "What words appear in Mark, but not the other two Synoptic Gospels (Matthew and Luke)?"

While such a question can be answered without Bible software, it would take a long, long time. Accordance answered it in seconds. There are 190 different forms in NA28, which appear a total of 227 times. I've attached the search setup, for those of you who may be interested.

post-29215-0-27522700-1421165865_thumb.png

• Like 4

Great stuff, Dr. J! This example deserves to be displayed in the help files for [HITS ?]..

With kind regards

Peter Christensen

• Like 2

Ah, great - Looks like your example made the list in the help files, unless I somehow missed it. But I am pretty sure that there used to be only three examples as opposed to this new fourth one:

• Enter [HITS GNT-T] to find all the words in this text that are on the list of lemmas found in the GNT-T tab.
  • Enter [HITS=i GNT-T]@[NOUN masc] to find all masculine nouns in this text which are also on the list of inflected forms found in the GNT-T tab.
  • Enter [HITS=t GNT-T] <AND> [VERB] to find all words in this text that have a tag found in the GNT-T tab, and have a verb in the same verse.
  • Enter *@-[HITS GNT-T] to find all words in the current text that are not found in the GNT-T tab.

With kind regards

Peter Christensen

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I'm testing  accordance now in demo, and trying to do this search, but using  an english bible, so  can't do this search exactly as stated

I was thinking it  would be quite simple, but unless the demo is very restricted, I don't understand how the syntax  works

I did a  search using the basic english bible in the demo.  I used a wildcard and restricted the range to get all words in either matthew or luke, then  opened a second tab, and the troubles start... Is the demo restricted or I just don't understand the syntax?  I can not get it to do as I want

Anthony, this should work just fine in the demo.  What is the syntax you are using?  Perhaps you could post a screenshot of your setup?