Recommendations Concerning Yosemite

fmcfee

I am still running Mavericks as my OS....

I have seen some posts in the forum about problems with Yosemite...

I don't need the features but can't do any updates or purchase new Apple apps..

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Frank

PS The reviews I have seen on the apple site are mostly negative...

Edited by fmcfee

I'm facing the same dilemma, but I'm not upgrading just yet - not until the problems are resolved. I guess you could make a Time Machine backup and try upgrading to Yosemite - if it works, (which it does for some users) then all is well. If not, use the Time Machine and go back to before you upgraded. As far as I know, downgrading isn't an option on its own.

With kind regards

Peter Christensen

I'm a bit of an old-school computer user, so my general philosophy is to never upgrade unless you are either forced to or have a compelling reason. I'm not being forced into Yosemite by anything yet. I haven't seen any major Yosemite features that really excite me at all. So, putting that together, I have no plans to upgrade anytime soon.

• Like 2

I don't need the features but can't do any updates or purchase new Apple apps.

Is this so? For everyone? Really?

All of my issues were resolved in 10.10.1 but apparently that hasn't been the case for everyone. 10.10.2 is beta right now. If you haven't upgraded yet, might be worth waiting another week or two for that.

• Like 1

I've been running the beta like a champ...love it.

I've never had a problem with the upgrade from Mavericks to Yosemite...and truthfully, I don't get it when folks are hesitant. That's not a dig..just an observation.

• Like 2

Thanks everybody so much for your replies.....I think I want to wait until the beta version becomes official and then readdress this issue..

I really like Mavericks....I just can't download any new apps like Numbers.....I can wait but it seems Apple wants people to upgrade...

Thanks for quick;y addressing my concerns

Frank

For what's it's worth, we haven't had any problems with Yosemite, either. We generally upgrade when the new version is available and we haven't been burned yet. This is Mac, not Windows. We have two desktops and two laptops.

There was one adjustment in the prefs that, once corrected, eliminated a problem I had with my laptop not waking up. I corrected the issue in the System Preferences and it hasn't happened since — System Prefs > Energy Saver > Wake for network access (off).

One of the reasons I stay updated is that the adjustment from one OS to the next is gradual. If I were to skip a version, there would be more differences and a steeper curve to get up to speed.

A few observations from when I upgraded:

1. Make sure you are careful about the option to encrypt your machine with FileVault. I had never done so before, did not note that it was now the default - and it made my machine UNUSABLE. I mean nothing but spinning ball for hours. Fortunately I found a way to drop into terminal and kill the process and everything has been fine since then.

2. The main new feature I wanted was to be able to answer the phone on my computer. Sounded nice. But it does not work. I have a decked out mid-2011 MacBook Pro, which clearly would have no problem being able to do this - but Apple will not let older machines do this. A lot of people found out about this afterwards. SO the main feature I was really looking forward to was a no-go...

3. Some programs will no longer work. The program we used to do our podcast simply will not open under Yosemite - and they have no plans to upgrade it. So that created a bit of a problem for us for a while. So, you might want to make sure all of your really important apps are working well under Yosemite. I wish we had....

4. Despite all of this, I am happy with Yosemite. It runs well, is stable, and once I worked through these issues it has been fine.

In Christ,

Bret

I've been running the beta like a champ...love it.

I've never had a problem with the upgrade from Mavericks to Yosemite...and truthfully, I don't get it when folks are hesitant. That's not a dig..just an observation.

same here

one word: Handoff.

That is the single most important thing the upgrade has done for me. As someone constantly moving between environments, It's one of the best things to happen to my personal tech in quite a while. Of course, I live in the apple universe of iPad, iPhone, macbook, apple tv. Fanboy much??

• Like 1

one word: Handoff.

That is the single most important thing the upgrade has done for me. As someone constantly moving between environments, It's one of the best things to happen to my personal tech in quite a while. Of course, I live in the apple universe of iPad, iPhone, macbook, apple tv. Fanboy much??

I love this feature. I use it all of the time and it freaks people out to see me answering a phone call on my laptop...lol.

• Like 1

...it seems Apple wants people to upgrade...

Yeah. Apple is proud of the fact that a majority of it's users are early adopters. I was talking with tech support for a church management program that is dual platform. They were not ready for the transition to 10.10. He said, "It's crazy. We've got pc users still running XP but all the mac users jump on as soon as the OS hits. We can't keep up."

I wanted to say, but didn't, "The update wasn't a surprise. Everyone knew it was coming and had time to prepare. What were you doing?" I know it's tough with the fast pace of tech, but that's your business of you're a developer! Anyway, they've got it fixed now.

• Like 1